DIY: 2016 Mazda6 Sub and Amp Install (Non-Bose) - Page 3 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 01:49 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm thinking the same LOC since I've seen that loc used on that radio in a different car....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 04:03 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey,
I have a 2016 Mazda 6, and am finishing up my audio upgrade. I followed your guide a bit and I think I used the same bolt as you for the amp ground, but am getting some static noise. I did grind the paint off as well as I could, but I couldn't get the noise to go away.
I was using the PAC LOC at first, but decided I wanted a DSP, so I went from running the LOC/RCAs to running speaker wire to the trunk, and the noise didn't change. The power wire is on the opposite side of the car.
Do you have any thoughts on what might be causing this? It's very high pitched static, only really noticeable through my tweeters.

thanks!
post #23 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Garage
Hi jgreer,

I have actually been having some noise in my audio system as well. It also only comes out of my tweeters due to it being that high of a frequency. I have not found what is causing the issue yet but am still troubleshooting it. I know the noise is not being produced by my LOC or amp so it is something upstream from there. I have not had time to do this yet but I want to try and grab the audio signal from before the block in the passenger kick panel that the LOC is currently plugged into. I don't exactly know what that block is but I figure there is a possibility that it is introducing some noise into the signal and that is then being amplified by the amp and higher sensitivity speakers.

I hope to figure this out since any amount of noise is never fun.

What amp and speakers did you go with?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 01:49 AM
Learners License

Yep that sounds like my noise problem. I was thinking it was a ground loop, and that I needed to ground my amp and headunit together. But I don't have any experience with that and am not sure that's what it is.
I did try a ground loop isolator on the RCA inputs, and it didnt do anything.
Let me know if you figure it out! I have the Alpine PDX-V9
post #25 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 12:20 AM
Learners License

also, the Morel Maximo 6 components. What speakers and amp do you have?
post #26 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Speakers: Kicker 40CS Series (2-way components in the front and 2-way coaxial in the rear)
Amp: Polk Audio PA D4000.4

Please keep me updated as well on anything that you find out or try. I have also tried a ground loop isolator on the RCA's and that did nothing for me.

I have the plan to try and grab the signal from further up stream like I said before. If that doesn't work, I will be tearing the dash apart to get to the head unit so I can try playing with its ground cable and see what else I can mess with while I'm there.

It would be great if there were aftermarket head units so we could get some decent audio outputs but it will be a while if ever for the tablet-style head units.
post #27 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 11:35 PM
Learners License

Alright, will do.
I was going to try really scraping away at the amp ground to make sure its connected this weekend. I'm afraid we might have to go upstream to the headunit as well. I'm not sure if there's any outputs there, or if we'd just have to tap into speaker wire.
post #28 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 09:17 AM
Learners License

well I finally got my parts in to install my my subwoofers. The LOC did go directly into the head unit since I don't have the infotainment system in my car, but since I didn't have a stock amp of any sort the remote turn on didn't work, I had to redneck engineer it by going into a fuse in the driver's kick panel, I chose the 15A F.Outlet (cigar lighter under the cd player) as it was off when the car was off. I took pictures of the finished install but they're very blurry since my camera got busted while my phone was in my pocket a few weeks ago. I only have subwoofers but am not hearing any unwanted noise out of mine....and usually if there's a ground loop or any other type of interference it will still make itself known. @jgreer0417 the silver box you are referring to is can the Tuner Amp Unit, or TAU by the mazda service manual. It provides a little bit of amplification and signal filtering.
post #29 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks so much for your update, Spiffy! I am glad you got your subwoofer hooked up without any issues.

This gives me hope for when I finally get the time to play with the sound system again, I might be able to get rid of the noise by grabbing the signal directly from the head unit and not letting the TAU touch the signal. I haven't seen where the input to the TAU is yet but I would assume on the back side of it and that will be simple to tap into.
post #30 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 02:08 PM
Learners License

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosh View Post
Thanks so much for your update, Spiffy! I am glad you got your subwoofer hooked up without any issues.

This gives me hope for when I finally get the time to play with the sound system again, I might be able to get rid of the noise by grabbing the signal directly from the head unit and not letting the TAU touch the signal. I haven't seen where the input to the TAU is yet but I would assume on the back side of it and that will be simple to tap into.
On mine there were 3 or 4 plugs on the back of the head unit, the one closest to the driver's side was the one that hooked to the LOC. I'm not sure it'll have the same connector though since you have the TAU. But hopefully it does.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in