HOW TO: Install a backup camera with a Bose navigation system - Page 6 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-25-2016, 06:40 AM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi jhill1977,

Could you please help me with a step by step tutorial on how and where to connect the 5 wires for vss, parking brake, and Bluetooth in order to make the full conversion from bose non-display to nav unit.

I know that I need to buy the GPS antenna and the rest is a matter of connecting the wright pins in the wright place.

What I didn't understand is if I loose Bluetooth and aux in functionality if I upgrade from non-display bose to nav unit or only voice commands on the nav unit don't work.

By the way my Mazda is an 09 European model, but the connectors don't seem to be different.

Looking forward for your help.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 08:44 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
i have Radio Type B" can i switch to OEM Type C/Navigation" how about the cables from the back of units are they same or i will need to change something ?
post #53 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 12:22 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggscreed View Post
It also relocated the trunk request switch to the left so the cam can be more centered with the plate. While you do not have to go this route, I did, as it was more stock. I suppose you could try to drill a hole for an aftermarket camera somewhere to the right or the left of the request switch for 2009-2010. You just may have plate interference problems.

Anyway, this garnish plate did NOT come pre-cut for the trunk request switch! I repeat that, NOT cut. It had a slightly raised plastic notch where the factory would have put it, but it was not perforated. I used that outline though to drill me four holes in the corners, then used a dremel tool to cut into the plastic, following the lines.

As far as the trunk request switch now goes, I had to buy a new one from a dealer. I'm sure you can get one off a junker tho.
Hi Diggscreed,
I'm going to add the backup cam to my '09 Sangria Red 6 using your info. It'll connect to the Nexus 7 I replaced my factory Nav with. Did your original request switch not fit the location on the new garnish piece? The one on my car is a rubber covered rectangular button and was actually crooked when I checked earlier.
I've already purchased the garnish and camera, just wondering if I really need a new request switch.

Thanks,
Mike

2009 Mazda 6 GT in Sangria Red.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Drivers License

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Hi Mike,

What it is; is that on the 2009-2010 Mazda 6, the Rear Garnish Plate above the license plate, has the trunk request switch directly in the center. Right where you would want the camera to be. They made the factory 'Radio B', and the Navigation Radio with the video input for a backup camera already designed in. The actual backup camera itself didn't make it into the design for those model years. The 2011-2013 Mazda 6's got a fatter garnish plate to accommodate that camera depth and the trunk request switch was moved off-center towards the driver-side a bit. (The switch is different too BTW). So you cant use the same switch if you get the newer garnish plate. You'll need to get the new one to fit that hole and its more square with a round button as opposed to the rectangular switch with the rectangular button you currently have. I got a new one from the dealer. (About $43) or try to find on at a local junkyard. What the newer fatter garnish plate does is position the cut-out now for the backup cam to be in the center now above the license plate. They made that change for the 2011-2013 model years. They sorta were half-way there with the radio at least having the capability to support a camera already. As I may have mentioned in my post; I just bought a new trim plate off eBay that DIDN'T have the request switch cut-out but DID have the hole for a backup cam. Because getting one with BOTH was gonna be an arm and a leg thru the dealer new. Luckily you could slightly SEE where the factory mold machine had some raised plastic where it WOULD have cut the trunk switch hole.

(A bit off your topic) This situation is seen again when it comes to the Bluetooth microphone. For example; they positioned the microphone in the center of the dash console underneath the speaker plate on the 2009-2010 Mazda 6. But above your head in the sun-glass holder, is a spot for the microphone to go. It's empty. You know, those little divets next to each push-button map light that LOOKS as if they were there for a microphone? One set is filled in, the other set of little holes are open. But behind those holes are nothing. The same overhead console design was made in the 2009-2010 CX9, and THERE they actually put the microphone in that overhead console. Makes sense since it's right above your head. The sound quality is better in my opinion with that design than over in the center in the dash with that slopping windshield. You get that defroster going even the slightest and it gets dicey with the voice commands. Not the best place to put that microphone. In the 2011-2013 Mazda 6, they DID put it in the overhead console. Since I have GT's from both production runs, I checked on that. HOWEVER, the blue LED downlight that was in my 2010, was not there in my 2013. One of my little pet-peves when they switched designs in 2011. Then again, the 2011's LOST key-fob auto window roll down and passenger auto roll down switch, the down light and passenger auto dim mirror, painted Sirius Radio antenna...stuff like that but gained the backup cam and real-time RDS traffic on the Nav Radio's along with blinker LED side mirrors which folded and auto-lock when the car hits above 10MPH or so.

If you start with a 2009-2010....and ADD the 2011-2013's additions; you'll have a pretty nice set-up. It's a lot harder to do it the other way around.

Mazda is forward thinking when they design these things sometimes, but for some reason, they only go half-way. I suppose it's a cost cutting measure. See what sticks in the first year or so of a new model. I.E. what consumers wish they HAD that they don't in their brand new car,and when they poll these people and get that feedback they say "oh that's an easy fix! We already designed for that"! And all they have to do is add ONE piece to the next model run to complete it.

Sorry for the late response. I don't get on the forum very often lately. Hopefully that helps ya!

2010 Mazda 6s GT Kona Blue Mica
2013 Mazda 6s GT Fireglow Red

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page