DIY: Wireless Qi phone Charger - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Flaring Afro
  • 1 Post By biking4jesus

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Talking DIY: Wireless Qi phone Charger

Greetings all,
Another project came to mind the other day to install a wireless charging device to the car in order to further remove the nonsense of wires that are associated with everyday life. In order for this project to work, your phone must be Qi compatible. A lot of newer phones have this technology on board and just need the adapter.

Click here to see if your phone is on the list Wireless Charging, Bluetooth 4.0, WIFI, 3G, 4G, NFC ? Qi Enabled Wireless Charging SmartPhone Listing 2015
(I have the Samsung Galaxy S3 (personal) and S5 (work)

Materials I used:
Wire tap adapter for 12V to dual USB

Wireless Qi Charager - I like this model for its slim and small profile. Worked well with where I placed it.

The necessary adapter for my phone to charge on the pad (Each phone has different adapter, please buy the model for YOUR phone):

Here are the steps I took to do the work.

Trim removal. Starting in the center console (arm rest) remove all items plugged into the 12v/USB/AUX ports.

2. Use a strong pull up near where the lid meets the pocket. The unit shout pop up near the rear with two clips. There will be two more in the middle of the unit near the cup holders and a final two clips by the commander knob. These can all be removed with some elbow grease and some gently wiggling.

3. Remove all contents of the center console cubby area. This is the location I used for the install. You can choose your own but you will need the power tap off the 12v cig lighter there.

4. Remove the shifter knob (spin spin spin) and pop up the shifter plate by undoing the 4 tabs (2 front 2 back). This will also remove a white plastic piece attached which lays under the center console cubby where I installed the unit.

5. Remove the remaining plastic section in the cubby hole. It is held on by two clips on each side of it.

6. Tap your adapter unit to the 12v power source and check if its working before reinstalling anything. Secure all connections with electrical tape or choice material.

7. Prep your charging platform. For the one I used, its length posed a little issue with it sitting completely in the divot of the cubby. Instead, it comes out just a little thus I needed to glue a small block to the bottom so it would sit flush.

You might have to experiment with this portion to get your device to fit the way you need it to.

8. Drill a hole in the back of the last cubby piece removed to allow the power cable through the plastic. Use a drill and always remember, measure twice before drilling. I did a sloppy job. To hold the wire in place, I just used some hot glue in the back. SOLID!

9. In order for the wiring behind this panel to fit, it might require some wire tucking and or plastic removal. I took a drill to the plastic behind the head unit (which will not be seen by anyone every) and removed a large portion of it so that the wiring would sit proper in the hole. Note in the picture, the power cord (micro USB) for the pad sits in the back of the cubby and will just plug right in once all together.

10. Put everything back together. Easier said than done! Now that you have the adapter and wiring back there, its a snug fit so TUCK those wires in as best you can (there is some storage space back there) and then press firmly to get the back cubby piece in place.

11. Get your shifter plate piece in position. Before insertion, bend the piece just a slight amount (15%) and notice the gap that forms between the white plastic and the black. This is where the rubber cubby protector will slide in a grip. Might take a few tries to get it right.

12. Get the shift plate in place and put shifter knob on. MAKE SURE IT SHIFTS PROPERLY. After my reinstall, the plastic sheath which prevents crumbs from getting into the shifter was misaligned and caused me troubles when shifting. I have to reconstruct the next day and get it in line under the alignment tabs.

13. Attach commander knob wiring and pop the cup holder unit into place starting at the front near the shifter and working your way back to the arm rest.

14. Plug in the charging pad and TADA, should be working if done correctly.
NOTE: This 12v location is only powered when the car is turned on (or in aux mode) and will NOT run when car is off. This will prevent the unit from continually running and killing your battery if the car sits for a while.

Please feel free to post any and all questions and I want to see others do the same so post your final pics!

PS you can also use the other USB dongle to run to your glove box or something else. Be creative folks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2014 Mazda 6 Touring with Tech
Injen CAI & Racing Beats Exhaust
Verde 18' Black sport Rims on Kumho Ecsta 4x with Red Aluminum Lugs and H&R Springs
Thule Aeroblade Roof rack and Bike holder. Tints: Doors 35% Rear 25%
35W 6000k HID's + 35w 6000k HID Highbeams
Hella Horns with Custom Mesh Grille
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheBlur For This Useful Post:
APudysz (05-05-2015), danstheman7 (05-27-2015), Donkey Grundle (05-05-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 03:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd like to add Qi 1.2 coils into the seats themselves. Then, your phone could charge in your pocket.
danstheman7 likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 03:44 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
not sure thats good for the fellas, but might be a cool idea.
danstheman7 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

05 Mazda3 Hatch

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by biking4jesus View Post
not sure thats good for the fellas, but might be a cool idea.
It's not going to hurt you because of the way the energy transfers. It's just a tiny magnetic field.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 12:21 PM
Shiro Shinobi

Mentioned: 778 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2853 Post(s)
Thanked 4,046 Times in 2,840 Posts
Groaned at 16 Times in 16 Posts
Garage
That's pretty sweet, good writeup to a great idea.

Current:
, Sold:
, 3rd Generation

A gov't big enough to give you anything you want is big enough to take all you have.
"Camry: For Drivers Without a Soul." - Mz6GreyGhost
For your 'will these tires fit' needs:

Need a Part Number? Find it

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 01:14 PM

i keep thinking about how you could hack this to work w/ a clean mounting area.

or

I keep thinking there's a way to mount it in the same area TheBlur is using. I like the Kuda mount location, just seems too bulky.

another location i think about is using the dash centre speaker grill- cutting a small hole for a usb wire to come out and mount one of the holder+ qi chargers up there center of the dash.

another approach is to buy a cheaper qi charger base, and remove the coils and affix them to the actual console cubby piece itself. i usually keep a pieces of that non slip drawer liner there so my phone doesnt slide around.

this lookds kinda rad https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUiYrk_LPF4

05 Mazda3 Hatch

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
I like those ideas. Mine was crafted to prevent the phone from flying across the car but these methods prevent that too. Also, i had no real use for the cubby before and now it has purpose. You might get some electrical interference if you are near a speaker. Not 100% sure though

2014 Mazda 6 Touring with Tech
Injen CAI & Racing Beats Exhaust
Verde 18' Black sport Rims on Kumho Ecsta 4x with Red Aluminum Lugs and H&R Springs
Thule Aeroblade Roof rack and Bike holder. Tints: Doors 35% Rear 25%
35W 6000k HID's + 35w 6000k HID Highbeams
Hella Horns with Custom Mesh Grille
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 07:32 PM

yea. i just looked and my current phone fits perfectly in the cubby, if you place it perpendicular to how yours is, and dont set it in so deep.

05 Mazda3 Hatch

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page