DIY: DDM-Tuning HID install!!! - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
DIY: DDM-Tuning HID install!!!

I've been reading forums for a long time, debating if I wanted to do my own HID install. I finally pulled the plug after reading up on some DDM Tuning lights/kit and I can say it's all kinds of easy. Total time about 45 minutes. Plug and play, simple. I've never done an HID swap, nor am I electrically inclined. However, you CAN'T GET IT WRONG.

Ordered the 35W/5k setup and winged it (with help from people here (thanks!)). Two things made it last as long as 45 minutes is because I couldn't access the driver's side light without pulling the inner wheel-well plastic and I plugged in the male end to the female end, closest to the bulb, backwards (which made it not light up; once I switched it...voila!). That probably would've brought overall install time to about 30 minutes.

I'm extremely satisfied with the results. I love the bright (not too bright) white light over the (now, by comparison) dim and yellow OEM lights. They cast a shade brighter and a better distance. Also the light is distributed more evenly and greater throughout the cast. So, without further ado...

Step 1: (I worked on the driver's side first because I knew it would be more difficult because I can't fit my hands into the space)
Pull off inner wheel-well plastic to access driver's side light (I didn't take a picture because it's in the manual). I only pulled out 6 quick fasteners.

Step 2: Reach up into bay where lights are and grab the OEM bulb, turn it (left or right about 90 degrees) and pull it out.

Step 3: Disconnect the bulb from the wire harness by pressing at point where wires meet the male plug and pulling (opposite my thumb)

Step 4: Plugging in. This step is foolproof. There's only one way the connections can be made, however, you can get one upside-down (as explained earlier). I plugged everything in, then slipped it down into the void spaces (closest to where I mounted ballast), then plugged in the HID bulb. **Note: cut off plastic, rigid white ring next to orange silicone ring. If not, the connection will not be air/water tight...you know what happens next.**

Step 5: zip tie ballasts and wiring to inside of body panels. As long as the ballasts and hardware is below where the fixed rubber stoppers contact the hood, then you're good.

That's basically it. Just repeat on passenger's side (except there's no need to make access through wheel-well. I'm 6"3' and my hands were able to fit in the voids available next to the washer fluid).

If any of this is unclear, please let me know. Also, I'm only going to write that this works with my specific HID kit (35W5k). It probably applies to other DDM kits, but I can only guarantee this works with my type kit.

I hope this helps.
dangle13 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to snoWhite For This Useful Post:
Bostonyte (07-30-2014), ctmazda (09-01-2014), Deemo13 (07-22-2015), Jaggrey (08-02-2014), Jared Tampa Bay (09-02-2014), martinezim1127 (11-08-2014), OCTOGONPC (01-21-2015), yaleforks (08-02-2014), zWaj (07-14-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 11:30 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Groans: 0
DDM-Tuning HID

I ordered the DDM 55x HID kit for my 2006 Mazda3. The day after it arrived I caved and bought my 2015 Mazda6 Touring. So, I read the exchange litterature on DDM's website and started the process.

Your post with the directions and immages is being very helpful. I really appreciate it.

After reading what you said about the brightness of the 35x I am thinking about changing my order to the 35x bulb.

Is the 55x annoyingly bright?
The Following User Says Thank You to Jared Tampa Bay For This Useful Post:
snoWhite (03-25-2015)
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 08:58 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
anyway you can provide a link to which one you picked? When I checked the site you have to pick Wattage, Bulb Type and Bulb Color. I got the wattage and bulb color but which bulb type did you go for?

Zoom Zoom: 2014 MT blue/sand touring

Whats my stress reliever? PAINTBALL-duh
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

One can never out pace crazy and one can never beat stupid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 09:54 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
DDM order

Here is what I ordered for the 2006 Mazda3. I will send that back tomorrow. Then I will do some research on 35 and 55w clear HID bulbs and order for the 6. I didn't learn anything about aftermarket lights before I ordered so I can't tell you much about what I currently have. Because I didn't want to make a totally uninformed decision I called and spoke/ordered over the phone. Here is the receipt info.

DDM

55W.H7.5000K 1 DDM HID Kit, 55W, H7, 5000K $39.95 $39.95
HID-Harness 1 HID Kit Wiring Harness $9.99 $9.99
Total $49.9

Anything you can teach me or recommend will be put to good use.

*Edit
I found this very informative https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...4152809AAgub8J

Jared 2015 Mazda6 Touring

Last edited by Jared Tampa Bay; 09-02-2014 at 11:07 PM.
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 11:54 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
I would steer clear of the 55watt ballasts. Aftermarket bulbs run hotter than oem bulbs, and they run even hotter at 55w compared to 35w. its a real good way to burn your projector and at that point, your headlights are pretty much fried.

Id stick to 35w
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chawski For This Useful Post:
atlaznboi55 (09-04-2014), Jared Tampa Bay (09-04-2014)
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 12:56 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Garage
DDM HID 5000K install

After reading this post I ordered the kit from DDM with the wire harness, thanks "snowhite". I installed it the same way. Coming from a car that had HID lights you really do miss them when you loose the added light output of the HID's. See picture difference of the light output. Look at both pictures as the viewer shows the same thing twice for some reason? The warm up time on these are 1-2 seconds longer than a stock D1-S or D2-S bulbs. must be the difference in the ballast
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20141129_234023_694.jpg
Views:	1468
Size:	942.8 KB
ID:	134201   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20141129_234046_556.jpg
Views:	1080
Size:	472.8 KB
ID:	134209  

Last edited by Roger69; 12-03-2014 at 03:10 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roger69 For This Useful Post:
OCTOGONPC (01-21-2015)
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 08:59 AM
Shiro Shinobi

Mentioned: 779 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2882 Post(s)
Thanked 4,059 Times in 2,851 Posts
Groaned at 16 Times in 16 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chawski View Post
I would steer clear of the 55watt ballasts. Aftermarket bulbs run hotter than oem bulbs, and they run even hotter at 55w compared to 35w. its a real good way to burn your projector and at that point, your headlights are pretty much fried.

Id stick to 35w
Don't forget that 55w will also flush out most of the color if you want a nice blue tint in the headlights. And my biggest reason for never wanting 55w is knowing that 100% of oncoming traffic will hate your guts.

Thanks for the writeup, @snoWhite - Adding it to my 3rd gen 1 stop shop.
snoWhite likes this.

Current:
, Sold:
, 3rd Generation

A gov't big enough to give you anything you want is big enough to take all you have.
"Camry: For Drivers Without a Soul." - Mz6GreyGhost
For your 'will these tires fit' needs:

Need a Part Number? Find it

post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Thanks Broseph!

post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 10:11 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoWhite View Post
I've been reading forums for a long time, debating if I wanted to do my own HID install. I finally pulled the plug after reading up on some DDM Tuning lights/kit and I can say it's all kinds of easy. Total time about 45 minutes. Plug and play, simple. I've never done an HID swap, nor am I electrically inclined. However, you CAN'T GET IT WRONG.

Ordered the 35W/5k setup and winged it (with help from people here (thanks!)). Two things made it last as long as 45 minutes is because I couldn't access the driver's side light without pulling the inner wheel-well plastic and I plugged in the male end to the female end, closest to the bulb, backwards (which made it not light up; once I switched it...voila!). That probably would've brought overall install time to about 30 minutes.

I'm extremely satisfied with the results. I love the bright (not too bright) white light over the (now, by comparison) dim and yellow OEM lights. They cast a shade brighter and a better distance. Also the light is distributed more evenly and greater throughout the cast. So, without further ado...

Step 1: (I worked on the driver's side first because I knew it would be more difficult because I can't fit my hands into the space)
Pull off inner wheel-well plastic to access driver's side light (I didn't take a picture because it's in the manual). I only pulled out 6 quick fasteners.

Step 2: Reach up into bay where lights are and grab the OEM bulb, turn it (left or right about 90 degrees) and pull it out.

Step 3: Disconnect the bulb from the wire harness by pressing at point where wires meet the male plug and pulling (opposite my thumb)

Step 4: Plugging in. This step is foolproof. There's only one way the connections can be made, however, you can get one upside-down (as explained earlier). I plugged everything in, then slipped it down into the void spaces (closest to where I mounted ballast), then plugged in the HID bulb. **Note: cut off plastic, rigid white ring next to orange silicone ring. If not, the connection will not be air/water tight...you know what happens next.**

Step 5: zip tie ballasts and wiring to inside of body panels. As long as the ballasts and hardware is below where the fixed rubber stoppers contact the hood, then you're good.

That's basically it. Just repeat on passenger's side (except there's no need to make access through wheel-well. I'm 6"3' and my hands were able to fit in the voids available next to the washer fluid).

If any of this is unclear, please let me know. Also, I'm only going to write that this works with my specific HID kit (35W5k). It probably applies to other DDM kits, but I can only guarantee this works with my type kit.

I hope this helps.
i'm just wondering if you had to buy any extra harnesses? and the bulb is the H11 right? i'm wanting to do the same thing as soon as possible, just need this info to order it. good job on the install and thanks for your post!

~Kodiak~ *rawr*
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 10:24 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Groans: 9
Groaned at 10 Times in 8 Posts
Have we also made sure that the folks in this thread installing HIDs are doing it properly?

I can't stand when people just throw in HIDs and call it a day. Only to take it out for a spin and blind people because they aren't aimed properly or they didnt retrofit proper projectors that are meant for HID bulbs.

06 MX5 GT - w/ Susp. Package (Bilstein shocks and LSD), Prog. Tech. Springs, Bose/xCarlink/10 Inch Fosgate P2 with Alpine 250w amp, RoadsterSport 2 Muffler, Racing Beat catless midpipe, AEM CAI, RHT
05 6i, Glacier Silver - Traded!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page