DIY: DDM-Tuning HID install!!! - Page 2 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 10:53 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Don't the H11 HIDs come with return wire on top of the bulb that produces a shadow in the light pattern? I thought you had to use H11B to avoid that?

55W is an overkill, a pair of glaring suns for oncoming traffic, melt your projectors, and wiring harness There is absolutely no place for them in headlights that were designed for halogen bulbs.

Nihilus - I couldn't agree with you more

I also don't understand the madness behind wanting "a nice blue tint" - ever looked straight at real factory HIDs? They are white! They only produce a slight blue hue under an angle. In addition, the higher you go on a kelvin chart, the less light you are actually projecting on the road. In laments terms, the prettier your headlight color looks, the less useful they actually become.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 09:21 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Thanks so much for posting this DIY. Just performed this on my touring and it looks awesome. I got the 35w 5000k from ddmtuning.

Install was as easy as it seems. I went in from the top and only thing I removed was the fuse box cover. I must say that my "smaller" Asian hands allowed me to do this without taking anything else off. :-)

Everything was simply plug and play. If the light doesn't light up once connect, try changing the polarity of the bulb harness to the factory harness (flip it around).

Best $40 mod ever! Esp with our preexisting projector headlights.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
snoWhite and LeadSled like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to dangle13 For This Useful Post:
snoWhite (03-24-2015)
post #13 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Groans: 4
@kodiak

Yes, buy the H11. I got 35W and 5000K, but the 4300K should give a clean white color. Mine are blueish but that's OK cuz it matches the license plate lights. They also match the interior domes and map and courtesy lights... And the trunk light. Swapped them all. And the glove light. So, it depends what ur going for. Looks really sharp at night and the bump in lumens and clarity helps driving at night. That's at least 51% of why I did the HID install: brighter and more clear at night.

I have a 2014 6 touring.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Groans: 4
@jared

55W are annoyingly bright.
@cibersay i understand what ur saying about the blue tint. I didn't want that, but that they match the license plate lights...i like it. No shadow in the light pattern.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 05:26 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger69 View Post
After reading this post I ordered the kit from DDM with the wire harness, thanks "snowhite". I installed it the same way. Coming from a car that had HID lights you really do miss them when you loose the added light output of the HID's. See picture difference of the light output. Look at both pictures as the viewer shows the same thing twice for some reason? The warm up time on these are 1-2 seconds longer than a stock D1-S or D2-S bulbs. must be the difference in the ballast
hi roger did you have to drill a hole in the round headlight lid thats directly behind our bulbs in the first gen? and also what temp did you order? thanks in advance

-Ben
post #16 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 04:04 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Garage
I have the third gen car 2015. The bulbs were just plug and play. I did add a wiring harness and used a lead of the fuse box for power. the lights are 5000K. Which is bright enough for me!

2015 Mazda 6 Touring MT
post #17 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 04:12 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Groans: 9
Groaned at 10 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cibersay View Post

Nihilus - I couldn't agree with you more

I also don't understand the madness behind wanting "a nice blue tint" - ever looked straight at real factory HIDs? They are white! They only produce a slight blue hue under an angle. In addition, the higher you go on a kelvin chart, the less light you are actually projecting on the road. In laments terms, the prettier your headlight color looks, the less useful they actually become.

I wouldn't have a problem with 6000k, but any more than that is a waste to me.

Mine are stock hid's and those are 5000k-ish, lots of light.
post #18 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 04:52 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihilus View Post
I wouldn't have a problem with 6000k, but any more than that is a waste to me.

Mine are stock hid's and those are 5000k-ish, lots of light.
Yep, after 5000K you start to get color and less light. Like you said, 6000K is the highest anyone should install if the reason they put HIDs in the first place was to get more light. Otherwise just put 18000K and rebadge the trunk with Civic Type R GTR RSPEC V8 emblems, all at the same time
LeadSled likes this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

post #19 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 01:50 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I just installed the 35W 5000k's in my 2014 and it was super easy - 30min total.

FYI You DON'T have to go thru the driver wheel well if you just remove the nut and the bolt that hold the fuse box to the body. This will give you enough room to get your hand down to the driver side low beam (unless you have big hands).

I LOVE how much brighter these are than the OEM H11s Halogens. The car looks so good now and you can see significantly better. Best $29 I've ever spent on this car. Highly recommended.
post #20 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 03:41 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Yikes

So $30 for the HIDs and an additional $22 to ground ship to FL? Yikes! Did anyone else get hit with this shipping quote?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page