DIY: How to add DRLs if you have switchbacks installed - Page 5 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Track Racer

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
is there a specific kind of relay that i would need to turn them off with my headlights on? and what wires do u have hooked up to the "turn-off with headlights on" relay pins?
also, what can i do to make the switchback flash "amber-on, amber-off, amber-on, amber-off" instead of "amber-on, white-on, amber-on, white-on"?
Any 12 Volt automotive relay (commonly referred to as "Bosch style") will work. Since the headlight fuses (in the engine compartment) only have power when the headlights are on, I installed a tap-a-fuse to the left headlight fuse that runs to one side of the relay coil - the other side of the relay coil goes to ground. The power to your white switchback lead is then connected to the "common" and "normally closed" contacts on the relay. When the relay is energized (by turning on the headlights,) the connection will be disconnected and turn off your switchbacks.

Here's an amazon link to a relay that will work:

Here's an amazon link to a tap-a-fuse that will work:

Regarding changing the switchbacks from Amber-Off to Amber-White, that is not possible - you'd have to buy different switchback bulbs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 Tungsten Grey 6i Hatchback
'06 Tungsten Grey 6i Sedan
The Following User Says Thank You to mralexsays For This Useful Post:
that1guy (11-11-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 12:11 AM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Do you have a pic of what you broke off? Having a difficult time figuring out which set of tabs it is. Thanks.
post #43 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Track Racer

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjclements View Post
Do you have a pic of what you broke off? Having a difficult time figuring out which set of tabs it is. Thanks.
bjclements, are you referring to my original post or one of mmcorange's replies? Other than completely modding the bulb holder as shown in the OP, I'm not sure what you are referring to.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 Tungsten Grey 6i Hatchback
'06 Tungsten Grey 6i Sedan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-28-2015, 04:54 PM

Mentioned: 136 Post(s)
Quoted: 1047 Post(s)
Thanked 1,093 Times in 873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
also, what can i do to make the switchback flash "amber-on, amber-off, amber-on, amber-off" instead of "amber-on, white-on, amber-on, white-on"?
Typically this is determined by the switchbacks used.. some flash A/W/A/W.. some flash A/Off/A/Off..

Usually the listing should provide some way of telling the difference. If your bulbs work one way and you want them to work the other way, you probably have to buy new switchbacks designed that way.
There is a way to fix that using electronics, but it is much more complicated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjclements View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mralexsays View Post
bjclements, are you referring to my original post or one of mmcorange's replies? Other than completely modding the bulb holder as shown in the OP, I'm not sure what you are referring to.
Yea, I'm not sure what is being asked either.

2006 Mazda 6s GS | Hatchback | Tungsten Gray

|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page