GJ Time Slips - Post Here! - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Track Racer

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
GJ Time Slips - Post Here!

16.5 @ 85 mph with a 0.401 R/T

I'll throw mine in the pot. Curious to see what everyone else has, as far as time slips, 0-60, eighth, quarter, or half mile. I'm somehow not hitting reported 1/4 numbers by at least 1.5 sec every time. The fastest online I've seen for a stock GJ was 15.1 @ 90 mph, which seems impossible. I'm on stickier tires with lighter wheels; I should have this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-

-
-

Jacksonville, FL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 01:06 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 5 Times in 3 Posts
Garage
Car and Driver only got 16.1 @ 90mph in the 1/4 mile with theirs, a Sport model with a manual transmission and 17" wheels. Your 1/4 mile makes sense if it's run on 87 octane in hot muggy FL weather on 19" or bigger wheels IMO. I haven't run mine, but I am sure it's slower being a heavy GT on heavy OE wheels. It feels a lot faster in the winter on my 17s!

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 08:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Garage
I only did two runs, but my best time was 17.6 with a new 2017 Mazda6 MT with the 19" stock wheels and tires. These were my first times down the drag strip so some of it was likely me but it still seems like this is very slow.

2017 Mazda6 Touring - Hex

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 04:35 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyedocorlando View Post
Car and Driver only got 16.1 @ 90mph in the 1/4 mile with theirs, a Sport model with a manual transmission and 17" wheels. Your 1/4 mile makes sense if it's run on 87 octane in hot muggy FL weather on 19" or bigger wheels IMO. I haven't run mine, but I am sure it's slower being a heavy GT on heavy OE wheels. It feels a lot faster in the winter on my 17s!

To jog my memory, the sport is 2.0L?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 04:38 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeffer View Post
16.5 @ 85 mph with a 0.401 R/T

I'll throw mine in the pot. Curious to see what everyone else has, as far as time slips, 0-60, eighth, quarter, or half mile. I'm somehow not hitting reported 1/4 numbers by at least 1.5 sec every time. The fastest online I've seen for a stock GJ was 15.1 @ 90 mph, which seems impossible. I'm on stickier tires with lighter wheels; I should have this.

Do you have the 2.5 A/T? Sport mode make a difference? I used to drag my Saabaru and finding a consistent torque launch was actually more tricky than Id imagined. Needless to say, Im inexperienced with drag strips and intend to try my hand at autox

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Track Racer

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobyrx View Post
Do you have the 2.5 A/T? Sport mode make a difference?
Yes, 2.5 A/T. Sport mode doesn't make much of a difference in times, but I throw it on just in case. I try to launch at the limit of grip, which varies from track to track for me. I'd rather hook low than spin high, kind of thing.

-
-

-
-

Jacksonville, FL
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 11:53 AM
Learners License

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Garage
I used to take my MR2 turbo to the dragstrip somewhat frequently. I never tried an auto since slipping the clutch at the right rpm for launch was like an art. Bogging it at all would drastically affect my time and trap speed. I also first went with 15 inch rims and then 17/18 staggered. The 17/18 staggered were "light" for their size and much wider but I still got slower times. I also never drag raced a FWD car. I would run a slightly deflated psi in the front and lower the rears prob around 10-15 psi to get the weight to transfer and then the car to squat better at launch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	picture_php_pictureid_35611_fc9f57aa5996415f8439fc5b242af86245f3b1c2.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	212010  
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 11:56 AM
Learners License

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Garage
I do remember most FWD guys were generally disappointed with their times. I saw a lot of preludes and accords back then since it was around 2005 so they were old enough for kids to afford them used. I believe some of the car mags adjust their times for temp and distance above sea level like a dyno so times are a crapshoot. I personally noticed about a half second difference between a few tracks I went to.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 03:27 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Garage
Air Density and Track altitude plays a huge role in track times. Especially in Naturally Aspirated (NA) engines - only to be exacerbated by vehicles whose primary speed component is their power-to-weight ratio. And by that, I mean, when you have a stock NA Mustang putting down 450 hp and contains that "brute force" speed, even bad air density isn't going to slow that thing down that much.

But the 2.5L (that goes for the Mazda3 and Mazda6), its key to speed is that we have light cars -- 3100 and 3300 respectively. Throw in 2500 ft track elevation and less than ideal air density, you'll get a terrible time.

I think what's important to remember is that Mazda engineered these cars on power-to-weight, not straight line performance. That's why they're so darned fun to drive. If the "butt-dyno" feels good, that's what it's all about.

In the event you're trying to capture those elusive C&D and MT published times, you'll want ideal conditions which typically have 3 components:

1) This one you have no control over: Track Elevation. You can't do anything about the sea level elevation of your track. Simply, the closer your track is to sea level, the more densely packed the air is. Think of Denver Sports teams - other teams always have trouble playing in Denver because the air is "so-thin". Hell, field goal kickers love it because the football slices right through the thin air. Cars on the other hand hate it, they want dense air.

2) This one you do have control over: Outside temperature. Pick a day to go to the track when the outside temperature is below 50 degrees (assuming you live in a part of the country where you can pull this off).

3) This one is ultimately an issue anywhere: Humidity. You want the humidity as low as possible. The more humidity, the more wet air your motor is dealing with. Your motor wants dry air.

If you're able to capture number 2 and 3 on an ideal day, take note of the barometer reading of the air pressure system you're dealing with. You would ideally like it to be 30.50+ inches of Mercury (inHg). Catch 2 and 3, along with a high barometer reading -- you high tail it to your track for test and tune or whatever they call it these days.

All that said, if free time just isn't on your side and you have to deal with whatever conditions are thrown at you, take note of your track altitude, outdoor temp, humidity, and barometer reading. This website will throw all of that at you - you just need to select the drag strip you're at.

https://airdensityonline.com/tracks/

Simply keep it on your phone and screen shot it when you're the next car in line. Then compare your timeslip to your screen shot and you'll get an assessment of how "accurate" that 1/4 time is. The higher the "density altitude" number on the website, the less accurate your time is. Ideally you want that number as close to 0 as possible.

But wait, there's more! You can actually correct your time with a Density Altitude Calculator, found here:

DA Calculator - Density Altitude Calculator - DragTimes.com

It asks for all of the relative data I listed above, which calculates the Density Altitude (DA). Then you stick in your time and trap speed and it corrects it for you. Poof. NOW you have an accurate 1/4 time when corrected for ideal conditions. Enjoy!

2018 Mazda6 Signature
- Soul Red/Parchment
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 03:29 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Garage
@Zeffer @Koralie13

Go back and get the weather data for those days your were at the drag strip and use those calculators. You might be surprised

2018 Mazda6 Signature
- Soul Red/Parchment
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page