Track Report Sept 12-13, 2015 VIR-Full Course - Page 2 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 11:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanyonRider View Post

If you follow the world of track days and HDPEs, there is a lot of discussion about novices showing up with 400+ HP cars and people getting hurt or worse. The factory safety systems of these cars were not designed to protect you in a 140mph crash. So tracks have been trying to slow these cars down.

CR
Such a conflicting issue. Seems like the know-nothing 1st timers with Corvette ZR1s and M6s are the only ones showing up to these events anymore because the people with the crazy money cars are the only ones that can afford it. With fewer entries, the cost per car goes up, less people enter.....

Gone are the days when you'd see nothing but E36 325is, Mazda Miatas, and Porsche Boxters.

I guess all the E36s and Miatas are running in Chump now....

14 Mazda6 White Touring MTX
17 Dodge Durango
98 Ford Expedition
84 Porsche 944 Chumpcar Endurance Race Car

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Groans: 5
Groaned at 8 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanyonRider View Post
...... I broke the front right axle. It appears to be broke inside the outboard boot - I haven't taken it apart yet. I had been running rebuilt axles from Mazda with very good luck, but this one was a cheapy from RockAuto. It lasted about 20min on the track. I got a little wheel hop coming out of T17 onto the front stretch at around 90mph - hard on the gas. The track is bumpy there - apparently, 11" wide sticky tires and a LSD was more than the axle could stand - combined with the shock of the tire bouncing. I'll be taking it apart and comparing it to the Mazda axle soon.
CR
If possible, get the hardness checked on the RockAuto axle, and on an old Mazda one. This has a direct correlation with strength. If you know an Eng'g student, they should be able to have it done at the school for cheap, or a mech test lab may give you a break on cost. Also, a close up pic of the fracture surface would help to determine if there was a a fatigue crack in progress that let go with the wheel hop, or if it was just a sudden overload.

About your team car, how does your lap times compare with the other drivers?

04 6S atx hatch
93 RX-7, 75 Trident

Last edited by KevinK2; 10-18-2015 at 11:15 AM.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 06:36 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinK2 View Post
If possible, get the hardness checked on the RockAuto axle, and on an old Mazda one. This has a direct correlation with strength. If you know an Eng'g student, they should be able to have it done at the school for cheap, or a mech test lab may give you a break on cost. Also, a close up pic of the fracture surface would help to determine if there was a a fatigue crack in progress that let go with the wheel hop, or if it was just a sudden overload.

About your team car, how does your lap times compare with the other drivers?

The axle broke at the joint - the shell that holds the balls. The shaft itself is fine.

The team car is very fast. The team owner set track records in three races last year - my times are always in the top 10 (of 75 or 80 cars). Ironically, my lap times in the Mazda6 at the same tracks are faster than the team car - and the team car has over 100hp more than the 6. Its all about grip, handling and comfort in the car.

CR

2003 Mazda 6s MTX
Mods - Yeah, I got
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Threads:

Like our Race Team's Facebook page:

My YouTube Channel for in-car track videos:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page