New Best Lap @ Carolina Motorsports Park - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By CanyonRider

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
New Best Lap @ Carolina Motorsports Park

In the team car. We finished 13th in class and 19th overall of 77 cars. Again we were good enough to be top 5, but everything has to go right to win one of these 14hr races.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oyvKEtLJlc

CR
ballsy likes this.

2003 Mazda 6s MTX
Mods - Yeah, I got
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Threads:

Like our Race Team's Facebook page:

My YouTube Channel for in-car track videos:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CanyonRider For This Useful Post:
Byakuya (05-07-2015), TurboGTU (05-12-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 12:08 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratulations
The Following User Says Thank You to 05' 6S owner For This Useful Post:
CanyonRider (05-07-2015)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 04:13 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Groans: 5
Groaned at 8 Times in 6 Posts
Nice lines Pro. I was expecting that PU to be a banks turbo diesel monster ...but not likely, based on how quickly tou passed it.

That miata looked fast ... any idea what motor it had?

04 6S atx hatch
93 RX-7, 75 Trident
The Following User Says Thank You to KevinK2 For This Useful Post:
CanyonRider (05-10-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 10:43 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
That looks like fun. Im amazed they let that high ass truck on the track lol. BTW what is your racecar? Sorry but i just joined last month.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinK2 View Post
Nice lines Pro. I was expecting that PU to be a banks turbo diesel monster ...but not likely, based on how quickly tou passed it.

That miata looked fast ... any idea what motor it had?
Not sure what motor is in the miata - but is was well driven.

I went back to my HPDE video from 18 months ago - I ran a 2:00.52 in my Mazda vs the 2:01 in the team car. That really surprised me because the team car felt faster. My 6 gave up about 15mph in the straights but is ALOT faster in the corners and the brakes are better. The V8 team car needs bigger tires - we're running 235s vs the 275s on my 6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS/SS 4.8 View Post
That looks like fun. Im amazed they let that high ass truck on the track lol. BTW what is your racecar? Sorry but i just joined last month.
Welcome to LeMons racing - they will let you run almost anything! The real crap is in class C (including trucks, minivans, and other crapcans that were never intended for track use). We are in class A. Team car is a '91 Nissan 240SX with a 5.8L Ford V8 - we call it the Nissord 580SX.

CR

2003 Mazda 6s MTX
Mods - Yeah, I got

My Threads:

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

I'll post my 1.5hr Sunday session shortly for your viewing pleasure. From the drop of the green, I passed 76 cars in a row, including the eventual race winner in a turbo Volvo, before giving up a spot to a V8 Monza. I moved us from 24th to 9th. What a hoot!

CR

2003 Mazda 6s MTX
Mods - Yeah, I got

My Threads:

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanyonRider View Post
... I went back to my HPDE video from 18 months ago - I ran a 2:00.52 in my Mazda vs the 2:01 in the team car. That really surprised me because the team car felt faster. My 6 gave up about 15mph in the straights but is ALOT faster in the corners and the brakes are better. The V8 team car needs bigger tires - we're running 235s vs the 275s on my 6 .... CR
I think the advantage is mostly in conering, vs braking. That higher exit speed puts your meticulously built Mazda6 racer ahead of the 580SX for most/all of the following straights and mildly curvey WOT sections.

For the team car, how is maintenance and repair work divided among the team?

04 6S atx hatch
93 RX-7, 75 Trident
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinK2 View Post

For the team car, how is maintenance and repair work divided among the team?

The car owner builds the car and does most of the major mods. We have a weekly team work day that is mostly, maintenance and race prep. Other responsibilities are divided up - 1 guy takes care of hotels, 1 guy tracks all expenses, I take care of radios and telemetry, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanyonRider View Post
I'll post my 1.5hr Sunday session shortly for your viewing pleasure. From the drop of the green, I passed 76 cars in a row, including the eventual race winner in a turbo Volvo, before giving up a spot to a V8 Monza. I moved us from 24th to 9th. What a hoot!

CR

Here's my Session from Sunday. Starts with one lap full caution before dropping the green. Then 76 cars passed without giving up a spot (except for the cheater in the yellow mustang passing me illegally under a yellow - I passed him right back).

https://youtu.be/nCWZ4PpmiSw

Enjoy!
CR

2003 Mazda 6s MTX
Mods - Yeah, I got

My Threads:

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 09:54 PM

Just before that yellow car passed you on a yellow, and before you 1st passed him, he had kicked some dirt on the track due to a needless off track apex on the right. When you got there, you had a little rear kick out due to that dirt. Getting pissed off gets the heart rate up.

You almost look illegal out there, the way it pulls on the straights, and your great exit speeds. What was up with that real VW Beetle, ~1968 ?

04 6S atx hatch
93 RX-7, 75 Trident
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

We struggled for grip the whole weekend. We only had two sets of used tires. We had great wear and grip at Barber back in Feb running 14hrs on one set of new tires, so we figured we'd be ok with the two sets of half used tires - WRONG! CMP was much hotter, the tarmac is much more abrasive and there are far more low speed turns requiring you to be on the gas hard during exit.

Here's what our tires looked like when I came in,

We found ourselves begging for tires from teams that had already fallen out of the race with mechanical issues.

Oh - the VW. It was pretty fast but spent a lot of time in the garage. I never got a chance to check it out, but I expect they will be competitive once they get it sorted.

Next race is 24hrs at VIR in August!

CR

2003 Mazda 6s MTX
Mods - Yeah, I got

My Threads:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page