LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Track report VIR 4/5/14

Having a great weekend. I'd say the car is working pretty well. :-)

2003 Mazda 6s MTX
Mods - Yeah, I got
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Threads:

Like our Race Team's Facebook page:

My YouTube Channel for in-car track videos:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CanyonRider For This Useful Post:
Byakuya (04-07-2014), Sydtron (04-26-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Holy Cow! The car was awesome. First time on the track with the LSD, MS6 brakes, coilovers, 10" wheels, etc. The car was incredibly well balanced, grip was insane, brakes were great. The car just stuck in the corners and the LSD just powered it back out.

Look at how flat the 6 is at the apex compared to the Miata that is just turning in:

There were 173 cars at the event, about 30 in my run group, the 6 was among the fastest. I got almost 4hrs of track time and got some great video. I'll need some time to go thru it and clean it up.

We were running the North Course:

T7 is where you see me turn off the main course and head up hill into a bunch of blind esses (they call them the Stevie Wonder Esses). Awesome course - great time. My best lap was 1:51.8

Ya'll get out there and race your 6's - they can hang with the best of them.

CR

2003 Mazda 6s MTX
Mods - Yeah, I got

My Threads:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CanyonRider For This Useful Post:
Byakuya (04-07-2014), MWSpeed6 (04-18-2014)
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

My best lap - check out the reaction of the next two drivers ahead of me as they spot me coming in their rearview mirror (at least that's the story I'm tellin')

Mazda6 @ VIR April2014 - YouTube

2003 Mazda 6s MTX
Mods - Yeah, I got

My Threads:

The Following User Says Thank You to CanyonRider For This Useful Post:
Byakuya (04-07-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 03:03 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Groans: 5
Groaned at 8 Times in 6 Posts
It's a good feeling when all the modifications work out to create a great track car. Lot less noise from the tires as you finessed the turns.

That right hand turn to the other track lloks tricky, the type of thing where by optimizing the exit speed you carry that speed for some distance.

On the long straight, did you just lift at 105mph to keep the revs down?

I just watched about 2/3 of it .... I'll be back!

04 6S atx hatch
93 RX-7, 75 Trident
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinK2 View Post
It's a good feeling when all the modifications work out to create a great track car. Lot less noise from the tires as you finessed the turns.
Yeah, the car was sooo much fun!

Quote:
That right hand turn to the other track lloks tricky, the type of thing where by optimizing the exit speed you carry that speed for some distance.
Yeah, that right-hander to the uphill is T7. The trick is late entry and then full throttle - letting the downforce of the hill help you corner. The key is to be pointed in the right direction as you crest the hill because the car gets light and loses grip. Most times (in the Saturday clip I linked) I was entering too early - I got better at it Sunday.

Quote:
On the long straight, did you just lift at 105mph to keep the revs down?
There are several things going on:
1. The car is electronically speed limited to 120mph. If you notice from my telemetry, we never get much above 110 mph. The car's speedo reads a bit over 120 because I'm running shorter tires than the ECU thinks I have.
2. Since I knew I was speed limited, at times I was short shifting to 5th rather than wind the revs up in 4th.
3. My clutch is just about used up so I was babying it a bit. I barely have an inch of pedal before it disengages. In fact a couple times on the main straight and the bridge straight it was slipping. Can't complain, I've had that clutch in since 2007.

CR

2003 Mazda 6s MTX
Mods - Yeah, I got

My Threads:

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-17-2014, 08:07 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Groans: 5
Groaned at 8 Times in 6 Posts
Bigger tires for next set should help with topping out, but you will miss that gearing effect ! My 924T had too tall gearing for the track, so I changed from a 65 series (stock street tires) and went to 50 series, same width. Huge difference pulling out of some corners ... even an instructor back then commented about it.

Forgot to ask, how did you set your rear sway bar?

04 6S atx hatch
93 RX-7, 75 Trident
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Bigger tires for next set should help with topping out, but you will miss that gearing effect !

Forgot to ask, how did you set your rear sway bar?

I've been thinking about this myself. My current 275/35/18s are 25.58"dia compared to the OEM 215/50/17s at 25.46"dia that the ECU thinks I have. It seems like the speedo should be about right and I should be able to get to 120 before the ECU starts shutting me down. I think the bigger issue is gearing. Being a frugal family sedan, 4th and 5th are over-drive.

1st - 3.153
2nd - 1.842
3rd - 1.258
4th - 0.947
5th - 0.733

Final Drive ratio 4.133

Doing some quick math (assuming 6500rpm shifting and 25.5"dia tires), my theoretical top speed in each gear should be:

1st - 38
2nd - 65
3rd - 95
4th - 126
5th - 163

Unfortunately, I seem to be topping out at around 112mph. I think a couple of things are going on: I'm short shifting to 5th because the revs are building very slowly in 4th and I'm thinking "this isn't being nice to the engine".

Remember from my Dyno run, peak torque occurs at about 4950rpm and drops pretty linearly from there to redline. So the revs are trying to build as the torque is dropping resulting in the car not gaining much speed at the top end of 4th gear.

The last time I was at VIR, I was on 245/35/18s at 24.75"dia and running the numbers again we get:

Max Speed:
1st - 37
2nd - 63
3rd - 92
4th - 122
5th - 158

It seemed like with the shorter tire I was getting 2-3mph more on the straight - I assume due to the lower overall gearing.

Not sure what my next step is. Given the power and weight of this car, I should be able to get to 120 easily.

CR

2003 Mazda 6s MTX
Mods - Yeah, I got

My Threads:

Last edited by CanyonRider; 04-18-2014 at 02:21 PM.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Looking a little deeper:

Currently, peak torque occurs at:

1st - 29
2nd - 49
3rd - 72
4th - 96
5th - 124

Let's say we forget about 5th gear and drive the car like it's a 4-speed. If we want peak torque to occur in 4th at 110, we'd need 29"dia tires:

Peak Torque:
1st - 33
2nd - 56
3rd - 82
4th - 109

Max Speed:
1st - 43
2nd - 74
3rd - 108
4th - 143

Unfortunately, 29s aren't going to fit - we need a different final drive gear, say 3.7.

CR

2003 Mazda 6s MTX
Mods - Yeah, I got

My Threads:

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanyonRider View Post

CR
Further analysis. Our torque curve is relatively flat from 4500 to 5200 - meaning this is the range where the car pulls hardest. If we look at this 700rpm sweet spot range:

With 25.5" tires:
Sweet spot torque:
1st: 26-30
2nd: 45-52
3rd: 66-76
4th: 87-101
5th: 113-130

From the video, you can see the car accelerates well up to about 100mph. I am shifting from 4th to 5th at around 100, just as the toque curve is dropping off. But when I get to 5th, I am well below the sweet spot of the torque curve and the car falls flat - damn 0.733 5th gear!!

CR

2003 Mazda 6s MTX
Mods - Yeah, I got

My Threads:

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 06:53 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Man, that car is STUCK to the ground, and good driving!

SOLD: 04 6S MTX

BOUGHT: 06 MS6 WWP AP, HTP 3.5", ETS TMIC, CS CAB, CP-E DP, 3" CATBACK, HPFP INTERNALS, BNRS3
TURBO XS HEADER, PNP IM, DEVILS OWN WMI, D07, GUARDIAN ANGEL, 245/40S, 18x8.5 VMR
AEM WMI/EGT, INNOVATE WMA3, BREMBO BBK, SU/TT REAR MOUNTS, CP-E RMM
ENGINE #2
The Following User Says Thank You to dale_gribble For This Useful Post:
CanyonRider (04-18-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page