User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 12:48 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Groans: 9
Groaned at 10 Times in 8 Posts
haha, in that vid of fender rolling, did the guy bend the rim in the last roll?

06 MX5 GT - w/ Susp. Package (Bilstein shocks and LSD), Prog. Tech. Springs, Bose/xCarlink/10 Inch Fosgate P2 with Alpine 250w amp, RoadsterSport 2 Muffler, Racing Beat catless midpipe, AEM CAI, RHT
05 6i, Glacier Silver - Traded!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihilus View Post
haha, in that vid of fender rolling, did the guy bend the rim in the last roll?
Dang, I think so. I never watched it all the way to the end before.

2003 Mazda 6s MTX
Mods - Yeah, I got
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Threads:

Like our Race Team's Facebook page:

My YouTube Channel for in-car track videos:

post #23 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

The AutoX at Piedmont was fun. We got 6 runs each so with my co-driver we put 12 runs on the Mazda6. Below is my fastest run:

The course was pretty good but there were two big bumps that I didn't like. Notice the dip at about the 30sec mark. It caused the suspension to fully compress and my exhaust bottomed out. I was really surprised the exhaust hit. It's easily 4" off the ground. Take a look below at my (formerly round) pipe.

There was another BIG bump at 39sec - the last right hander - that made the right front suspension bottom.

The only other problem we encountered was when my co-driver ran over a cone and pulled loose a brake duct from the backing plate. Easy fix.

Real happy with the changes we made to the rear swaybar. It seems we softened it enough to get rid of the "snap oversteer". It's still a bit loose - which is ok, but now you can induce the oversteer rather than it being a surprise.

We didn't hang around for the results, but it seemed like we were a couple seconds behind the local "Hot Shoes".

Now we re-torque everything, change the brake fluid, slap on some new rubber and head to VIR. Woohoo!

2003 Mazda 6s MTX
Mods - Yeah, I got

My Threads:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CanyonRider For This Useful Post:
MonoxideChild (08-06-2012), TiGraySpeed6 (08-05-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

With the new MFactory LSD installed, my MS6 brake upgrade and my new 275s on 18x10s, I've been itching to flog the car and see how it performs. Here in the South, our autocross season starts in February with our first event being held yesterday.

Forecast Saturday was snow; Sunday was to be sunny and cold. I loaded the car up Saturday morning and threw a tarp over it since it has no side glass. Here's how it looked Sunday at 7:30am - temp 25deg:

The Auto-x was 2hrs NW of my house and reports were that most of the snow fell east of me, so I figured "what the hell" and headed out.

I arrived with a dirty car to find blue skies and no snow.

Between my codriver and I, we got 12 runs on the car as the temp climbed to a high of 35deg. I'll apologize now for the lack of pics and video, but for 6.5hrs we were primarily focused on staying warm and figuring out what was the strange noise coming from the car.

The first 2 or 3 runs provided no meaningful data because the tires were so cold. Once we go a "little" heat into the tires, the car was alot more predictable.

The good:
1. The MS6 brakes with HP+ pads are very good. Great initial bite and good pedal feel. Dirty as hell, but they are a track pad.
2. The LSD rocks! No "one wheel peel" as we exited turns.
3. The 275s don't rub in the front.

The bad (or not so good):
1. We began to hear a rubbing noise from the RF wheel every time we turned right. It was the inside top of the wheel rubbing on the knuckle. Normally, there is no relative motion between the wheel and the knuckle - the knuckle moves with the wheel. Upon further inspection, we discovered the bushing in the front-lower-leading control arm was sloopy - allowing the top of the tire to tip inward and rub the knuckle.
2. Rear tires rub just a bit on the fender.

We'll be addressing these issue before the next Auto-x shackdown on 3/3.

CR

2003 Mazda 6s MTX
Mods - Yeah, I got

My Threads:

The Following User Says Thank You to CanyonRider For This Useful Post:
TiGraySpeed6 (02-18-2013)
post #25 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 08:53 PM
Lowspeed

Mentioned: 170 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 621 Post(s)
Thanked 3,288 Times in 2,155 Posts
Groans: 1
Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts
HECK YEAH!!!

That's a pretty gosh darn minimal list for the amount of work & changes you had. Easily corrected.

Looking forward to the next event!

Sold 7/2016- Mazdaspeed6 GT #3476 TiGray slicktop, fully bolted & badass

1and1
135i - E82.N54 2009 BSM - MHD S1+ / xHP S3 / PR CP & IC / RB PCV / Borla
. . . . RSFI, Koni & Eibach, Dinan CP's & M3 CA's / EBC Red's & Firehawk 500's
X1 - E84.N20 2013 MGM - JB4 - The Wife's
The Following User Says Thank You to TiGraySpeed6 For This Useful Post:
CanyonRider (02-18-2013)
post #26 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 12:29 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Haha at this rate you're going to be the next Stig!

I love keeping up with your threads, you update with all the details we crave and it's awesome to see you racing the 6. Keep it up man!
The Following User Says Thank You to WeakSauce For This Useful Post:
CanyonRider (02-19-2013)
post #27 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 01:38 AM Thread Starter

I guess I've known it for some time now and just didn't want to admit that there is such a thing as too loose. I spent this past weekend chasing the rear of the car. Out of 5 autocross runs, I spun 4 times - sorry only got the first two on video.

I'll admit to some of it being technique (or perhaps lack there of), but both of my off track excursions last year were because of the rear breaking loose. I've done all I can with the 27mm rear swaybar to get it a bit softer. So, as much as I hate to, I'll be trying a smaller diameter rear swaybar.

Next event - April 14th.

CR

2003 Mazda 6s MTX
Mods - Yeah, I got

My Threads:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CanyonRider For This Useful Post:
TiGraySpeed6 (03-05-2013), WeakSauce (03-07-2013)
post #28 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

A little drift action as the rearend starts to come around.

Trying to sneak a couple of cones home with me under the car. No penalty if they can't fine the cones, right?

2003 Mazda 6s MTX
Mods - Yeah, I got

My Threads:

The Following User Says Thank You to CanyonRider For This Useful Post:
WeakSauce (03-07-2013)
post #29 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 12:50 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Haha I see you're trying to keep those cones so you can build your own autoX course :P

Nice spinning there, eventually I want to run an autoX with my friend, I'll probably end up spinning or taking half the cones with me haha
post #30 of 67 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 10:28 AM
Lowspeed

Mentioned: 170 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 621 Post(s)
Thanked 3,288 Times in 2,155 Posts
Groans: 1
Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts
psssshhhhhhh
ain't no opposite lock going on there

Sold 7/2016- Mazdaspeed6 GT #3476 TiGray slicktop, fully bolted & badass

1and1
135i - E82.N54 2009 BSM - MHD S1+ / xHP S3 / PR CP & IC / RB PCV / Borla
. . . . RSFI, Koni & Eibach, Dinan CP's & M3 CA's / EBC Red's & Firehawk 500's
X1 - E84.N20 2013 MGM - JB4 - The Wife's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page