Prepping as dedicated track car - Page 50 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #491 of 641 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by *** ThE FoRk *** View Post
u got any pix of the new exhaust from the back?
Teaser!

It's still on the lift.

2003 Mazda 6s MTX
Mods - Yeah, I got
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Threads:

Like our Race Team's Facebook page:

My YouTube Channel for in-car track videos:

The Following User Says Thank You to CanyonRider For This Useful Post:
MWSpeed6 (03-10-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #492 of 641 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinK2 View Post
I've noticed some excellent welding here. The big jam nut weld to the control arm is an example. Is this also done in the shop?

Thanks, but that image is not one of my welds. Looks to be a factory robot weld actually. For those of us that learned on our dad's old stick welder, these new wire-feed mig welders make us look almost like pros.

CR

2003 Mazda 6s MTX
Mods - Yeah, I got

My Threads:

post #493 of 641 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 04:49 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Groans: 5
Groaned at 8 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinK2 View Post
The calculated change in a variable, is more accurate than the magnitude of that variable. So I rans some RSB's with the 28.5 up front, and looked at the front WT bias. You found the weight bias was 61% .

27.0mm, 60%
24.0mm, 64%
22.5mm, 66%

Suggested Rear Sway Bar Mount Modfication.

When I designed that RSB for my GT-6, I had 5 settings for the bar, as well as the pivot, to keep the hiem link vertical at all settings. I could see that on your M6, by moving the drop bracket for the pivot rearward (to the right in pic below), and adding a spacer under the pivot for the soft setting, and removing the spacer for the stiff setting.

I did this sort of thing on the Rx7 rear bar, that has a top mount pivot bracket. I made the metal clamp offset, so it would move the bar fore or aft, based on a stiff or a soft setting.

I added to this post, regarding the rear sway bar attachment, and thought it was worth a bump.

04 6S atx hatch
93 RX-7, 75 Trident
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #494 of 641 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phate View Post
First post over here (isn't that exciting). I was directed to this thread because I'm doing similar things with my speed6....

.... I almost have enough information to finish my spreadsheet for suspension frequency calculations. !
Sounds like another interesting build ! I've seen natural frequencies show up in the literature, and I can verify that it is an important concern, especially if you will street the car. On my 2000 lb race prep'd Triumph, when I hit certain concrete highways where each "block" of concrete had a tiny pitch like a launching ramp (made by haulers), it was like riding a bucking bronko. But, In the 3 years I autox'd the car in the local non-SCCA competition, I won my class the 2nd year and bumped myself into a higher class and won that the 3rd year.

I saw your excel sheet on springs/suspension, and found this table:

Front Spring Selection

From above, we have everything needed to closely approximate suspension frequencies.

285: 1.30 Hz (stock)
400: 1.53 Hz
500: 1.71 Hz
600: 1.87 Hz
700: 2.03 Hz
800: 2.16 Hz
900: 2.29 Hz

AFAIK, the frequency method started off with production cars, and then was applied to autox. But these target numbers change depending on the type of car ... rwd is different than awd (suggestions for AWD are in the link below), and they are often back calculated from what has worked in competition.

It is a simple up-down model, proportional to the sq-rt( K/M ). And when I back calculate, the weight used was some constant lbs, for each spring rate. For autox, I think the frequency used is for sprung-weight , which is related to body motion, including brake dive, and corner roll. (edited 3-17-14)

I did find an excellent discussion in an engineer's forum about the subject, where they made a clear distinction between wheel modes and sprung body mods:

http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=344263 Greg and Brian are Suspension Engineers for a major auto co.

I read a bit more and you have target freq's of ~2.4 & 2.2 hz, consistent to what I have read for body motion in autox spring design. But I would assume the target freq's would be higher for a road course racer, like CR.

I made a M6 suspension spreadsheet about 8 years ago, based on Fred Puhn's book, but I did not include the nat freq calc.

04 6S atx hatch
93 RX-7, 75 Trident

Last edited by KevinK2; 03-17-2014 at 05:03 PM.
post #495 of 641 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 03:36 PM

I posted more "natural frequency" based autox spring design method over at phate's excellent build thread:

MS6 Suspension Data & DIY Bilstein Coilovers - Page 2 - Mazdaspeed Forums

One thing to keep in mind is that unless someone gives target frequencies for the same or similar car and drivetrain, the numbers will be ballpark. The general published numbers are for just the springs, and don't consider the swaybars that are active as you hit a corner ... bottom line is you still need to tune the bars/springs/dampers based on performance.

04 6S atx hatch
93 RX-7, 75 Trident
post #496 of 641 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 05:56 PM

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Canyon, I'm curious how the wheel bearings are holding up on the car and if you've replaced any of them?

While replacing mine this past weekend I found something I didn't expect to see; while removing the axles from the hubs there was transfer material, a grey black powder between the splines of the hub and axle. It had nearly seized the axle to the hub on the right side.

IMO the tension on the nut was inadequate and allowed a slight movement between the sets of splines. Another observation was the hub itself - you could distinctly see the parting line of the inner race on the hub once the hub was removed from the bearing. Then if you look at the mating surface of the inner race to the CV joints splines, you see it wore into the surface. See attached pic's. For me these are all signs that these parts are moving on each other. Anyway, I cleaned the hub and axle splines with a wire brush. 90% of all black dust came off.

Right wrong or otherwise at 200 ft/lbs but I could feel the nut was not done moving so I took it to 240 ft/lbs whereby I could feel something move and the wrench quit turning as if it actually came up solid. I really don't think its possible distort the inner race so time will tell what happens as its over the max spec by 40ft/lbs.

This may seem like a stretch but the car does no dart in the ruts as much as it did and brake pedal is firmer so these are tell tale signs things were moving up front. I put a dial indicator on the hub but w/out the wheel on there, I could not apply enough load to move the needle.

Something to keep in mind and good luck this season!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140314_140327_828.1.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	112849   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140314_140327_828.2.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	112857  

2006 Mazda 6s GS Hatchback, Lapis Blue | AJ 3.0 & AW6A-EL 6 Spd, >119,000

__________________________________________________ __________________
V6 repair info here:
post #497 of 641 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Hmmm that is interesting. I replaced all four wheel bearings before the 2012 season. I didn't notice anything unusual. The fronts have held up well, but I suspect I'll be replacing the rears again at the end of this season. One of the rears is showing a tiny bit of play. I slide the rear around a lot.

I run my 275s on 18x10s for AutoX, but I'm thinking of dropping back to 245s on my 18x8.5s for the track just to take some of the stresses off the wheel bearings.

CR

2003 Mazda 6s MTX
Mods - Yeah, I got

My Threads:

post #498 of 641 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Heading to the track this weekend, so It was time for an oil change, brake flush and re-torque of all the suspension parts. While I was double checking my Hawk HP+ pads for wear (I only have a half dozen AutoX's on them), I thought: Hmmm wonder how close my 2011 Mustang GT brakes are to fitting?

I happen to have a set on the shelf so I checked them out. 13.22" rotors, two-piston aluminum calipers. And very reasonably priced - I bought this set complete with rotors, calipers, brackets and pads for $125. They were taken off a brand new GT by a tuner shop.

Here they are next to the MS6 rotor and my old 6s rotor:

It doesn't look like a very difficult swap. That's just great - another fabrication project. Why can't I leave well enough alone?

CR

2003 Mazda 6s MTX
Mods - Yeah, I got

My Threads:

The Following User Says Thank You to CanyonRider For This Useful Post:
KevinK2 (03-31-2014)
post #499 of 641 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

So after our latest track event I made a list of issues to resolve. One of them is the speed limiter. If you notice from my telemetry, we never get much above 113 - 115mph. The car speedo reads a bit over 120 because I'm running shorter tires than the ECU thinks I have. There have been many discussions in many threads on this subject. There is no wire to clip, no fuse to pull, etc. Vehicle speed is provided by the ABS sensors. The solution to speed limiters on other CAN-Bus cars has always been software. Since there doesn't seem to be tuners lined up to develop ECU software for the 6, we need to think of another solution.

So how about this crazy idea: What would happen if we removed every-other tooth from the ABS rings?

The speedo would read 1/2. OK - I never look at the speedo on track.
The TCS might not work as smoothly. OK - I never use it on track.
The ABS/EBD might not be quite as smooth. OK - I might care about this.

Maybe the speed limiter would be 240mph instead of 120mph. That would be good!

Wadaya think?

CR

2003 Mazda 6s MTX
Mods - Yeah, I got

My Threads:

post #500 of 641 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 05:42 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 6 Times in 1 Post

*** ThE FoRk ***
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page