post #1 of 98 (permalink) Old 02-26-2004, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Send a message via AIM to mmarfan
Another tip on drag racing...

(Be sure to post your time slips on dragracing.com!)

First, this is just basic, almost logical info, BUT will help you get better then 2.4xx + 60 foot times. Or if you're in the Speed6, getting better then the 1.9xx 60 foot's. (see bottom for that)

The art of a good launch comes from practice. You won't be good right off the bat; the track grips much different then when you're street racing.

On very hot days, don't expect a good launch or time. Heat and horsepower do not mix on these cars (or any car really).

THE REACTION TIME HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE TOTAL 1/4 MILE TIME! You can launch real early or, if you want, sit there for 2 or 3 seconds, just get situated and concentrate on your clutch slip.

To get the perfect launch, start when the second yellow light begins to switch into the 3ird light. A .500 is a perfect R/T, or a .000 for other tracks.

Every .1 second you gain on the 60' you will gain .2 at the end of the track.

------

For the FWD MTX's

A 60-foot of a low 2.3xx consistency is what you want, a 2.2xx, is getting into the perfect launch, and if you muster a 2.1xx on street tires/ open diff, congratulations, that is the best you can get. (Theoretically)

TURN TCS OFF, the car will bog pretty badly if you have it on.

Burnout box is a waist of gas, and does nothing to a street tire. Drive AROUND the water! (Unless you're a showoff )

I now spin the wheels a little before I get to the tree; this assures that TCS is off.

When you sit at the tree rev your motor between 2K and 3K RPM, this will get you ready for your clutch slip. The clutch slip needs to be swift, not "dropped", "rode" or "babied". It should take about 8 tenths to 1.3 seconds for the slip. As you slip you can even say "One thousand one." As you slip, you need to add throttle in the opposite direction of you clutch. - clutch is out, car is floored - You might have to play with the clutch or throttle a little on launch, because the torque of the 6 will spin the tires pretty easy. (Usually play with the throttle first)
When your done slipping your clutch, make sure that your tach is somewhere in the 3.8K to 5K range; this is the power band area.
The sign of a good launch is small chirp (maybe even a very small amount of wheel hop) that lasts for about 1 second or so off line. Make sure there is no bogging after the clutch is let out. If this happens, be more aggressive with your launch RPMs and your total slip time.

------

As you shift, you need to shift at 7000 RPM (it will reach it). (This is why you shift at 7000 - TORQUE BAND per gear. ) The sound of a good shift is an instant pitch change in the motor; you might even burp the tires slightly. If you are spinning the tires, then you are letting out the clutch too slow and adding to much torque to the wheels and hurting the clutch. All shifts should be made as fast as your hand can go, and the clutch needs to be dropped as quickly as possible. You still must remember this is a FWD car, and stuff can break, so don't run it all day long.

If you are unmodded, you will leave it in third when you cross the finish line; 3ird tops at just a little over 95mph (with stock tires), so your traps usually range in the 93mph area. You can let it bounce off the limiter (just to be sure), it won't hurt it.

This is based off the 3.0 V6 launch. The 2.3 will be close to the same launching procedure. You might want to launch between 2K and 3.5K.

------

For the autos-

PUTTING THE CAR IN "OVERDRIVE" DOESN'T MEAN A HILL OF BEANS. "I ran slower because it was selected in overdrive" is a worthless statement. The car shifts like it's supposed to, at redline or possibly a tad more. You won't reach your overdrive gear. I personally would leave the thing in drive, because the tranny automatically shifts at the correct power band points. If you want to use "manual" mode, go ahead, compare results, they should be very close.

Launching an auto:

The best results that Iíve seen from experience have been just to cram that throttle as fast as you can at the light.
Others prefer "power braking." This involves pushing the gas and brake at the same time, then releasing the brake when the light turns.
You can also try (NOT RECOMMENDED) a neutral drop. Set the RPM's at 2K or so, and drop it, flooring it as you drop it.
You may also do a hand brake launch as well.

For an auto you need to look at the 60-foot time, it'll probably be nowhere near that of a manual. You might have better success with a neutral drop, but don't come crying to me when you drop you tranny, because I say DON'T DO IT! Until you get mods on an auto, you won't really see a 1/4 mile increase. Unless the temp/ humidity changes drastically between times you go to the track.

-------

Now launching the AWD Speed6.

The lights are going to be the same, when the 2ond light starts to turn into the 3ird you will want to launch, even though this car is much faster on the get go.

When you get staged, rev your engine between 3300 and 5000 RPM. This will keep your boost on and will help you tremendously in the launch. When you leave, release the clutch petal fast, about the consistency of taking your foot off the brakes on a normal drive (approximately .3 to .5 seconds). You might hear the clutch pack on the AWD system engage in a "clunk" sound; there is a way to not have it engage so violently, but you just have to play around with the speed of the clutch and the rev range of the pre-launch revs.

(If you look up any of p5freek's video's that is absolutely the perfect way of launching.)

Now, you must pay close attention to the RPM gage; try to shift a bit past 6000 RPM into 2ond gear. I believe the 1-2 shift is included in the 60' time, so if you had a good shift, then you'll see it reflected.

The 2-3 and the 3-4 shifts are done as close to the 6000RPM range without going over. Preferably 5800RPM.

You can leave it in 4th gear all the way down, or go to 5th. I have tried both ways with no change in the time or trap speed.

Some people like to "power shift" the car (holding the gas to the floor when shifting), you can try this as well, BUT it is a bit harder on the drivetrain then a normal shift. Unfortunately I have not got to experiment with this.

This should help you all out. It is a fun ride when you launch it good. I used this method and it netted me a best 60' of 1.767, and the others were 1.8's.

Scott
45+ trips down the track in the ol' Contour MTX.
30+ runs with the 6S MTX.
9 with the speed 6 to date.

------

TIPS:

-To get the most out of your car, let it sit with the hood up, in the opposite direction of the sun, or under some shade. Usually let it sit for about 30 minuets between runs. You can do 2 or 3 back to back, but you will get slower the more you do.
-Try to be the first one to stage; it usually gives you more time to focus.
-For more hints on how to launch and shift, and anything else you need to know visit this website: http://www.standardshift.com/videos.html

The new:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The old:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 98 (permalink) Old 02-28-2004, 04:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reading Topic: Another tip on drag racing...

wouldnt it be better to power brake the auto?
post #3 of 98 (permalink) Old 02-28-2004, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Replying to Topic 'Another tip on drag racing...'

Quote:
Originally posted by CivicTurboSi

* * * * * * wouldnt it be better to power brake the auto?
Doh! Forgot to add that one. Yes you can power brake it, it will achieve good results as well.

The new:

The old:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 98 (permalink) Old 02-28-2004, 12:26 PM
Retired Moderator

Good Stuff.

I'm heading to the track now, actually. We'll see how it goes since I've never actually been.

I went last night, but after 2 accidents they closed the track down before I got to race. The 2nd one was pretty bad, with a car going almost clean through the guardrail right in front of the stands. The front half the car was, literally, gone.

2003 Performance White Mazda6s -- Loaded MTX

post #5 of 98 (permalink) Old 02-28-2004, 06:37 PM
Retired Moderator

Well, the results at the track were a bit dissapointing.

My best run was my first at 10.03, and that was with TCS on because I had forgotten to turn it off. After that, with TCS off, I just couldn't get any traction.

My launches were all pretty bad; I was letting the clutch out and flooring it too quickly. On the street I can do it with only a few spins, but on the track it would sprin freely and I would literally go nowhere. It would do the same when going into second. I was also consistently missing 3rd, something I never do on the street. I couldn't stay in 2nd without hitting the rev limiter a bit too early to get my best time.

I only made 4 quick runs and then went ahead and stopped. The transmission started acting a bit funny, it would take a lot of force to get into gear, so I decided to cut my losses and stop for the day. The tranny got better after a few miles driving and now changes smoother than ever before.

10.03 is dissapointing, but for the first time at the track and with only 3 months experience with a manual, I guess it's not so bad.

post #6 of 98 (permalink) Old 02-28-2004, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Intence eh? I know it was for me the first few times down the track. You'll get used to it if you keep going back, and by the time you know it, you're launching like a pro. That 10 flat will put you about 15.5 to 15.6, not bad. You're within the time that Car and Driver tested it at.

The new:

The old:

post #7 of 98 (permalink) Old 02-28-2004, 11:16 PM
Retired Moderator

Yeah, it's definently a LOT different when you're on the track. Not only is the surface different, which alone makes them hard, but it's kinda nerve-racking... all these people watching you.

It was fun though; it'll just take some time to get used to. The surface especially.

post #8 of 98 (permalink) Old 03-02-2004, 10:05 PM

man i am going to the sac raceway tomorrow, and i am freaking out already. the only thing that i am worried about is the launch. with my injen in, i can't launch the car without peeling out for a while on the street. i know that the track is even smoother. i have read the above post, but i still don't understand where the rps should be when i let the clutch off. in my experience launching from 3000 would just result in peeling out. any tips are more than welcome. i don't want to be really dissapointed tomorrow. i am looking into 14.9. am i expecting too much
post #9 of 98 (permalink) Old 03-03-2004, 11:39 AM

Send a message via AIM to GreenNuggs

Quote:
Originally posted by XadzaM

* * * * * * man i am going to the sac raceway tomorrow, and i am freaking out already. the only thing that i am worried about is the launch. with my injen in, i can't launch the car without peeling out for a while on the street. i know that the track is even smoother. i have read the above post, but i still don't understand where the rps should be when i let the clutch off. in my experience launching from 3000 would just result in peeling out. any tips are more than welcome. i don't want to be really dissapointed tomorrow. i am looking into 14.9. am i expecting too much
For someone thats never been to a track, you better be a natural to hit the 14s. It aint easy.
post #10 of 98 (permalink) Old 03-03-2004, 11:48 AM

Send a message via AIM to GreenNuggs

Quote:
Originally posted by Sigma
Well, the results at the track were a bit dissapointing.
Tell me about it. The best I got was a 15.8 at 91 for the quarter. And that was with a 2.8 sec 60ft time!

Quote:
My best run was my first at 10.03, and that was with TCS on because I had forgotten to turn it off. *After that, with TCS off, I just couldn't get any traction.
I think its really important to keep it off if only for consistency. Its yet another factor that could throw things off. You want to be as consistent as possible, even if the times aren' too good. That way, you can improve on one thing at a time.

Quote:
My launches were all pretty bad; I was letting the clutch out and flooring it too quickly. *On the street I can do it with only a few spins, but on the track it would sprin freely and I would literally go nowhere. *It would do the same when going into second. *I was also consistently missing 3rd, something I never do on the street. *I couldn't stay in 2nd without hitting the rev limiter a bit too early to get my best time.
Dude, you basically described my experience at the track to the tee! My best 60ft was a 2.59 and even then I ended up with a 15.9 AGAIN because I missed the shift going into the 3rd. There is nothing worse than running it and not paying attention to the RPMs, then all of sudden bouncing off the rev limiter and losing precious time! Plus, I've even spun the tires going into 2nd. Its really too easy to have this car just running at 4K+ RPM in 1st gear and NEVER regain traction even when shifting into 2nd. A feathered clutch is the only way to do it, especially because like you said, the track surface is much different than the road surface.

Quote:
I only made 4 quick runs and then went ahead and stopped. *The transmission started acting a bit funny, it would take a lot of force to get into gear, so I decided to cut my losses and stop for the day. *The tranny got better after a few miles driving and now changes smoother than ever before. *
I made 3 runs my first time and was nearly disgusted with myself at the wheel hop on the last run so I just called it quits for fear of beating on the car too much. You had a Contour before this correct? Ever take it to the track?

The only way I'm going to get better is to practice more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page