Tips On Drag Racing - Page 2 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 98 (permalink) Old 03-03-2004, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Send a message via AIM to mmarfan
Replying to Topic 'Another tip on drag racing...'

Quote:
Originally posted by XadzaM

* * * * * * man i am going to the sac raceway tomorrow, and i am freaking out already. the only thing that i am worried about is the launch. with my injen in, i can't launch the car without peeling out for a while on the street. i know that the track is even smoother. i have read the above post, but i still don't understand where the rps should be when i let the clutch off. in my experience launching from 3000 would just result in peeling out. any tips are more than welcome. i don't want to be really dissapointed tomorrow. i am looking into 14.9. am i expecting too much
When the clutch is out, your RPM should be around 3K to 4.5K. If you are having bad wheel spin, you should start your launch at 2K. Remember, wheel hop is hard to recover from, but you do have to find the threash-hold of where it will do it at.

Quote:
Originally posted by mmarfan
"When your done sliping your cluch, make sure that your tach is somewhere in the 3K to 4.5K range. This is the power band area. You might have to adjust that with wheel spin as well."

The new:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The old:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 98 (permalink) Old 03-03-2004, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by GreenNuggs

....Dude, you basically described my experience at the track to the tee! *My best 60ft was a 2.59 and even then I ended up with a 15.9 AGAIN because I missed the shift going into the 3rd...
Dang dude, how slick was your track??? It usually gets better as the season wears on. Don't get nervious at the line, no one will make fun of you if you mess up, well unless you brought your friends, and that lasts for 3 minuets tops. :laugh But seriously, if you can get your car to a 2.3 launch, that'll give you 6 tenths plus at the end of the track, just keep tryin. Its fun eather way you look at it. :P
I can give a vid of my Contour running a 2.2xx 60' if anyone's interested. At that point it was a near stock 170hp SE Contour running a 15.484 @ 86.xx... not bad. ;)

The new:

The old:

post #13 of 98 (permalink) Old 03-03-2004, 06:38 PM
Retired Moderator

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reading Topic: Another tip on drag racing...

Quote:
Dang dude, how slick was your track???
My track was so slick that I was literally spinning freely when flooring it in 2nd. I actually thought I had the clutch in it spun so free, so fast.

I figured it would have had more grip because it's largely not a track for street vehicles; in fact when I went the only street vehicle other than my car was an SRT-4 (kicked my ass). The rest were definently not street legal cars and were running sub-6 1/8s. How they got traction with their slick wheels, I dunno. Experience I guess. And wheels 4x wider than my own probably helped too.

2003 Performance White Mazda6s -- Loaded MTX

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 98 (permalink) Old 03-04-2004, 02:22 AM

dang i got to the track too late today and they wouldn't let me race. but i stayed for a while and watched other people run. most of the imports running mid 15's chirped into 3rd, i think that this track is like ice. i guess i am going to launch my 6 at like 2k rpms, and try to avoid the exccessive wheelspin.next wensday i'll go again but at a earlier time to ensure that i will get a few runs in. one car that got me is the new grand prix supercharged, that XXXXXX ran 14.45. just amazing.
post #15 of 98 (permalink) Old 03-04-2004, 11:28 AM

Send a message via AIM to GreenNuggs

Anything over 3K launch and I just spin freely. The problem is, I can get at most 3 runs in before the lanes fill up and I'm waiting an hour between each run. Doesn't leave for much practice. I've even just forgot about the R/T all together and just sit on the light varying RPMs until I am in the sweet spot then gun it. But wheel spin, wheel spin, wheel spin....
post #16 of 98 (permalink) Old 03-04-2004, 12:00 PM
Retired Moderator

Come on down to my track... except it's about 2300 miles away. It's only 1/8th, but there's NO line whatsoever -- except for on Friday nights, then it's just maybe 10 cars.

It's not having a line that probably caused my little tranny hiccups -- I imagine pushing it that hard 4 times in a row got it a little hot in there.

2003 Performance White Mazda6s -- Loaded MTX

post #17 of 98 (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 01:49 PM

Reading Topic: Reading Topic: Another tip on drag racing...

i am going to the track today, i was too late last week, so i'll make sure that i am early today. i get so excited when i think about racing other cars down the strip. so we'll see what i run.
post #18 of 98 (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 02:11 PM

Good luck! Have fun! I don't think the track here is even open yet, but I can't wait!:)
post #19 of 98 (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Carrie

* * * * * * Good luck! Have fun! I don't think the track here is even open yet, but I can't wait!:)
Yea the tracks in Indy should've opened at the beginning of the month.:D

The new:

The old:

post #20 of 98 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 05:36 PM
Learners License

what is this power braking stuff with the AT?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page