Tips On Drag Racing - Page 10 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 98 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 11:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lads! I am going to start tracking my car so I will be taking it to the drags first to gain experience in shifting under pressure.

I have 18" Rims and my tyres are almost finished. Would I be better off buying the new tyres first or would I get more grip with the existing ones as my tyres are currently in a semi-slick condition?

I will be buying Kumho KU31's which are great for straight line balance.

2002 Mazda 6 Manual 2.3L I-4 Australian Model (Jap Spec) 10.6:1 High Comp

Mods: BC Racing Coilovers | Injen CAI | Advanced Timing | Yellow Fog Lights | 18" Mazda RX-8 Wheels | Raybrig 4500K Parker Bulbs | ipod Connection | Fluoro Orange Rocker Cover | Custom Grounding Kit | Breather Filter | Apexi Auto Timer | PCV Oil Catch Can | RDA Front Slotted Rotors | ACRE Pads | NGK Plug Wires | Red Interior Lights | Honda S2000 Gearknob | HIDs | Corksport Front/Rear Strut | Exedy Sports Organic Clutch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 98 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 01:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 7
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
This was useful, thanks
post #93 of 98 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via MSN to Billrunyon
Whenever i go to launch my AWD Speed6, even with DSC off, it boggs out if im higher then 2500 rpm. Any idea why? I will usually rev it too 4000 RPM and then let off the clutch fast while hitting the gas hard. Any input?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 98 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 01:05 AM

Groans: 11
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billrunyon View Post
Whenever i go to launch my AWD Speed6, even with DSC off, it boggs out if im higher then 2500 rpm. Any idea why? I will usually rev it too 4000 RPM and then let off the clutch fast while hitting the gas hard. Any input?
From what I've read recently, you could be calling for too much load, which can result in fuel cut. The engine does this automatically. It will also do this if it detects too much knock, or anything else that it thinks will cause engine damage. What mods do you have? Are you using an AP? It sounds like she needs to be tuned, or it could be your fuel pump, or several other things. Whatever is going on, I'd take it easy until you figure it out and correct it. Good luck.

Anyone else?

EDIT: you may want to repost this question in the engine/drivetrain section and I'm sure you'll get more responses quick (probably at least a few the day you post). I just happened to wander over here and saw your post. I've found that some sections get no little action.. besides this belongs equally well in the eng/driv for sure.

2006 MS6 GT W/ Navi (40K):

T3 Twinscroll GT3076 .60 A/R w/ .78 3" V-Band Hotside, SteedSpeed Top Mount Mani w/ Tial 38 EWG + Hallman MBC @25psi, Custom DJ Intake/DP/Oil Lines. CPE HPFP, CPE FMIC+HKS BOV, CPE Injector Seals, 3" GHL CBE +Res, EGR Delete, BSD w/ Gpwerks Baffle, Labonte W/M Kit w/ FS & D05 Nozzle, Stage 2 STS, H&R Sport Springs, CPE Rear Diff Mount, SU RMM, SPCs. 385awhp/370awtq Uncorrrected & 369/357 SAE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by dougefresh_; 03-15-2010 at 12:41 PM.
post #95 of 98 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 11:18 PM

Groans: 11
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
You guys have me all nervous about going to the track next month! My rear diff mount went in a couple months ago, but then tuning took over, then my AP died and other mods went in in the meantime. So, yesterday and today I did my first few launches, and my 60' time went from 2.20 to 2.12 and finally down to 1.88 secs. I hit 60mph in 5 flat with the 1.88 sec 60ft. I was psyched about the 1.88 and hoping for low-mid 13's for the 1/4, but now I'm second guessing myself and the super slippery track!!

I almost don't want to get used to launching on the street if the track will hook up so much differently. That sucks. I always heard you got better grip at the track, but apparently I heard wrong. Anyone know what the NE Speedway (Epping, NH) is like in terms of hooking up or a slippery track?

The other thing is I have LC rev limiter set to 4,100 and FFS rev limiter to 5,500rpms. I think I'm gonna lower the FFS rev limiter, but it will suck if I have to adjust LC rev limiter maps AT the track... I could just cut a few maps with diff LC rev limits I guess... but I'd hate the fact of flashing a new map, idling for like 10 mins, and then launching into the 1/4 mile, lol. Fuel trims should be perfect between maps, but still...

EDIT: Forzda gave me some additional drag racing tips, which he may post in here... if you're lucky! lol

2006 MS6 GT W/ Navi (40K):

T3 Twinscroll GT3076 .60 A/R w/ .78 3" V-Band Hotside, SteedSpeed Top Mount Mani w/ Tial 38 EWG + Hallman MBC @25psi, Custom DJ Intake/DP/Oil Lines. CPE HPFP, CPE FMIC+HKS BOV, CPE Injector Seals, 3" GHL CBE +Res, EGR Delete, BSD w/ Gpwerks Baffle, Labonte W/M Kit w/ FS & D05 Nozzle, Stage 2 STS, H&R Sport Springs, CPE Rear Diff Mount, SU RMM, SPCs. 385awhp/370awtq Uncorrrected & 369/357 SAE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by dougefresh_; 04-26-2010 at 04:46 PM.
post #96 of 98 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 06:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Let me know what other advice you have for the track. I'm not too concerned about my 0-60mph, but I really, really want to do well at the track. I want 13.3 after the fmic, bov, + tune. I may up the boost a bit, we'll see. Oh, how much did my tires affect my 60' time? I thought a 1.88 sec was great considering it was my 4th launch ever. That better not translate to a 2.0 or worse, or I'll be pissed! Makes me want to go buy OEM size tires...

The above is a quote from dougefresh as we were discussing his trip to the track. He asked some good questions that will/would afffect anyone headind to the drag strip, so I thought it might work well here. It may be posted elsewhere, so disregard if so.

Below is my statements back to him.....

Quote:
Actually the shorter tires will work to your advantage at the track as the overall gearing will be lower and the car should accellerate quicker. The track 60ft and 1/4 miles timers don't care what a DH or other gadget says, they just report the facts!

Don't be too disappointed with a mid 13 sec pass. Staging, the launch and shifting quickly is the key to quick times, but it takes practice, practice, practice. The problem with that is your car will likey break before you can get the best run possible for your setup. This is precisely why I stopped making the full power launches after finally hitting two 12 sec passes.

Staging technique is the first process to master. The timers don't start until your tire rolls out of the second beam, so you want as much "head start" on the timers as you can get. If you stage right, the car can roll almost a foot before the timers start.

You want to roll up the lights slowly, trip the first bulb on and stop. Then EASE up until the next bulb just barely lights. If you roll at ALL after the second light comes on, back up and try it again until you just barely break the beam.

The launch is the next most critical phase of the run. Too low rpms and you will bog, too high and you will break the car. Just right and the car leaves with just a touch of squeak from the tires and the motor still pulling hard in the power.

The next is shifting obviously. You really need a WOT dyno run to see where the power is for a given setup, but I recommend running it out to ~6500. It has lost a bit of power at this point, but when you shift it is right back into the middle of the sweet spot power. You will not lose nearly as much acceleration power as if you had shifted early and brought it back to the next gear at too low power output. Get it?

`07 Speed6 Sport Titanium Gray w/Cobb; ETS; CorkSport; TXS; M2Perf; BNR S3; DNP; MAP; Perrin; KMD; F2; SM; Labonte... Yeah, I really like Mazda... ZOOM! freakin' ZOOOOOM!

`11 Ducati 1198SP Red

`12 Ducati 1100SP EVO Corse Hypermotard

`12 Aprilia RSV4 Factory APRC
The Following User Says Thank You to FORZDA 1 For This Useful Post:
dougefresh_ (04-26-2010)
post #97 of 98 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 06:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billrunyon View Post
Yeah, the rpms are higher than a normal quick start and you're lilkely not making enough power to get the heavy car moving for a full power launch. Rev it to at least 4k to get the turbo spinning and then floor it slightly before letting the clutch out REALLY quickly.

I launch at 4600 rpm with the AP Launch Control. I used the same 4600 rpms with a WOT/2-step box as well. With AWD you MUST have it well into the power or it WILL bog unless you can get a just a bit of wheel spin.

Try driving straight through the water box and stage with the tires slightly wet to get a bit of spin and that should keep the motor in the power.

`07 Speed6 Sport Titanium Gray w/Cobb; ETS; CorkSport; TXS; M2Perf; BNR S3; DNP; MAP; Perrin; KMD; F2; SM; Labonte... Yeah, I really like Mazda... ZOOM! freakin' ZOOOOOM!

`11 Ducati 1198SP Red

`12 Ducati 1100SP EVO Corse Hypermotard

`12 Aprilia RSV4 Factory APRC
post #98 of 98 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 07:05 PM

Groans: 0
Groaned at 4 Times in 2 Posts
this was super helpful
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page