Base Sport Manual Review - Page 2 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 06:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
I have a 2016 Mazda6 Touring with stickshift. And a sunroof. The sunroof is pretty useless because above 25 mph the wind shudder is unbearable. Whatever spring holds up the factory internal wind deflector may be problematic or just poorly designed: but it's even worse than having the rear windows open above 35mph.

I am also deeply disappointed not to have the good LED headlights, heated seats, adaptive cruise control, etc.

While Mazda is one of the few cars offering a stick-shift, it's extremely frustrating we had to give up so much just to shift for ourselves. Separately, the Mazda6 clutch feels like stepping on a wet sponge and nothing like a proper clutch pedal.

Other cars I considered were the Ford Fusion, Hyundai Sonata, Kia Optima. All of those had a nice 240hp 2liter turbo version, but none had any stick shift options. I also considered the Acura, and might go that direction next time. (Did not consider European cars.)

-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just read that the new Mazda3 will have a stick available only on the top trim 5 door. So maybe Mazda is listening. Of course, then people will complain that the only manual available is too expensive. Then Mazda will realize that customers will complain no matter what they do, get frustrated and quit making manuals at all.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 10:30 PM

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
Well I don't get the "more tech" thing, especially at the price demanded.

If you want it, you take it. I don't want it and DEFINITELY don't want to pay to have all that crap fixed WHEN, after less than two years, I run out of warranty. And that crap DOES break.

Adaptive cruise? I could care less. I want to DRIVE THE CAR. If I can't be bothered to tap the up and down buttons once in a while with a PROPER following distance then maybe I ought to give up driving AT ALL.

Headlights? Do the halogen retrofit; 2 minutes and $20, and replacement bulbs are $10 each. You won't want the LED lights any more. Burn out an LED (yes, they DO have a service life and DO burn out) out of warranty and I hope you have a tube of KY with you when you go to get the replacement. I did it with my car and I have ZERO complaints with the headlights -- and I don't blast oncoming drivers either.

I've got 160,000 miles on my 2016 6-Sport MTX. I love the thing. It gets great fuel economy, it's comfortable, I fit a NICE audio system (not a boom-box thing, real audio quality) with a 120Gb SSD up under the glove box and my entire audio collection -- in FLAC -- fits on it. I regularly do 12+ hour road-trip style drives, often two back-to-back to get where I want to go.

I've owned a fair number of cars in my life including some quite-expensive ones (Volvo 850T to name one) and even without accounting for price I prefer the Mazda. When price is taken into account it's no contest.

If Mazda can't make something nowdays that hits the value:fun equation for me then when I finally wear out something expensive in my "6" I'll buy some other make and model. That'll be a shame but I'm not loyal to brand names -- I'm loyal to sensible DRIVER'S vehicles that are easy to take half-way across the country on a lark and actually ENJOY the trip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page