5-month 5,000-mile review of 2018 Mazda 6 Signature. - Page 2 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 06:01 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Garage
I'm just a few ticks shy of 5K on my 18 Touring model. I will agree with the steering wheel thickness. Does seem a bit shy. Also, your comment about the transmission. I am going to have mine checked on my first oil change, but I'm having issues when I lift off the accelerator (such as to coast around a corner) then lightly go back on the accelerator. It almost acts like it's slipping. The revs will start to build and then it's like the tranny will catch itself and kick down to the right gear.

Another small gripe I have is with the button quality, particularly on the steering wheel controls and the HVAC controls. They feel... cheap. Personally, I really miss the HVAC interface from my 2015. Especially being able to cycle the blender modes. Annoying that you can't back-cycle on the controls for the 18 model (for instance, when trying to go between defrost/floor and dash only vents).

As excited as I was about AA, I don't even use it. Too much of a hassle to access my USB port through my Otterbox to hook into the cord every... single... time. Plus, I really like the Raspberry Pi music player app I use for BT Audio. It is not compatible with AA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 07:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Michael95350 - I think your car has an A/T ... The trans performance may relate to the pendulum-flywheel that was added to the'18 A/T cars that hav cylinder deactivation... to tame the on off roughness?

Cdn17Sport6MT
Vancouver, BC Canada

Last edited by Cdn17Sport6MT; 01-11-2019 at 10:32 AM.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 08:21 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Garage
@ocramida

A few things and I too live in MA. I'm heavily debating trying the Advans out in the Spring time, what do you think of them? I'm a very average driver, I don't do anything crazy, but I do commute over 75 miles each day. I was very pleased with the road noise in the '18 6 Signature, and I was pleased with the Falkens too. I've read and been told the Advans are specifically designed for ride comfort and quiet while still delivering good performance - and for the price point, they're hard to beat. What's been your experience?

Additionally, for the door pocket lights that distract your peripheral vision, I happened to take the door off for an accuator replacement at the beginning of the winter (I took the door panel off because I didn't want the dealership touching the suede and risk fingerprinting it). There's a wiring harness that connects directly into the door pocket. If you're so daring, your can pop the door panel (in warmer weather of course) and just disconnect the wiring harness. This should allow you to maintain the rest of the ambient lighting while having the door pockets off. Just a thought.

Last thing, back to the tires. Could you post a picture or two of the sidewall on the tire. I know not all 45 series sidewalls are designed equal, I just wanted to see how the design was on the Advan 45 series. Thanks!

2018 Mazda6 Signature
- Soul Red/Parchment

Last edited by Chazzy J; 01-10-2019 at 08:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 12 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazzy J View Post
@ocramida

A few things and I too live in MA. I'm heavily debating trying the Advans out in the Spring time, what do you think of them? I'm a very average driver, I don't do anything crazy, but I do commute over 75 miles each day. I was very pleased with the road noise in the '18 6 Signature, and I was pleased with the Falkens too. I've read and been told the Advans are specifically designed for ride comfort and quiet while still delivering good performance - and for the price point, they're hard to beat. What's been your experience?

Additionally, for the door pocket lights that distract your peripheral vision, I happened to take the door off for an accuator replacement at the beginning of the winter (I took the door panel off because I didn't want the dealership touching the suede and risk fingerprinting it). There's a wiring harness that connects directly into the door pocket. If you're so daring, your can pop the door panel (in warmer weather of course) and just disconnect the wiring harness. This should allow you to maintain the rest of the ambient lighting while having the door pockets off. Just a thought.

Last thing, back to the tires. Could you post a picture or two of the sidewall on the tire. I know not all 45 series sidewalls are designed equal, I just wanted to see how the design was on the Advan 45 series. Thanks!
I actually liked the Yokos enough to buy them again. I also ran them on my 2016 after a set of Michelin Pilot AS3's. The michelins were expensive and wore out in 15K. They handled well but were a little too stiff IMO for daily driving. The Yokos ride and handle well. Not perfect but IMO a good match with the 6's personality. That said I was hearing a little resonance with the 2018 6 at speed that seem to be coming from the road surface. Maybe interactions withe the road surface and new suspension. But it wasnt there on my 2016. That went away when I move to the Falken Euro winters for the season. I'll have to see if the resonance comes back when i reinstall the yokos in the spring.

I can try to take picts of the yokos off the car if that helps.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

2018 Machine Gray Mazda6 Signature
2010 Mazda CX-9 GT Dolphin w/Nav
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 09:11 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Funny you mention the actuator, I noticed mine have started making the same noise my 2016 Mazda3 did when the locks lock and unlock. So you removed the door panel so the dealer could replace the actuator?

Quote:
@ocramida

post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 10:07 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdn17Sport6MT View Post
Michael95350 - I think your car an A/T ... The trans performance may relate to the pendulum-flywheel that was added to the'18 A/T cars that hav cylinder deactivation... to tame the on off roughness?
Hmm, didn't realize until now it had cylinder deactivation. Possible. Sure is annoying when coming off a curve though.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 11:09 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocramida View Post
I actually liked the Yokos enough to buy them again. I also ran them on my 2016 after a set of Michelin Pilot AS3's. The michelins were expensive and wore out in 15K. They handled well but were a little too stiff IMO for daily driving. The Yokos ride and handle well. Not perfect but IMO a good match with the 6's personality. That said I was hearing a little resonance with the 2018 6 at speed that seem to be coming from the road surface. Maybe interactions withe the road surface and new suspension. But it wasnt there on my 2016. That went away when I move to the Falken Euro winters for the season. I'll have to see if the resonance comes back when i reinstall the yokos in the spring.

I can try to take picts of the yokos off the car if that helps.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
That's great to hear. Thanks so much for the reply. I will definitely be interested to know if the resonance comes back for your in the winter. I kept my Falkens to switch back and was just weighing the decision of the Advans. The Falkens were really good in my opinion. I really have nothing bad to say about them - again, I'm a lazy driver and rarely put the car to any kind of limits, so the Falkens are good for me. But those Advans sure did sound nice when I researched them.

I also like the sidewall design on the Falkens. They used a very big "cup" that makes the sidewall look more like a 40 series as opposed to a 45 series, and in my opinion, actually makes the wheels look slightly bigger at a distance - probably just me though.

No rush on the pics. I appreciate the help. Additionally, if you want the door pockets disconnected, just let me know. I can probably knock it inside of an hour for you. Not sure how close you are to the Westford, MA area, but I'm around there.

2018 Mazda6 Signature
- Soul Red/Parchment
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 11:14 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTEyes View Post
Funny you mention the actuator, I noticed mine have started making the same noise my 2016 Mazda3 did when the locks lock and unlock. So you removed the door panel so the dealer could replace the actuator?
Yes sir. It's a systemic Mazda issue. I had all 4 replaced in my '16 Mazda 3. Noticed my '18 6 doing it within the first 5k miles on cooler days. Only had issues with the front two doors. It's definitely more pronounced in colder weather. Had both the front replaced and I haven't had a single issue since the winter started (had them replaced in October).

The Fiancee's '16 CX5 GT has the same issue, but very sporadically and only in very cold weather. She doesn't even notice it, thinks I'm crazy. My Service Manager friend says he does more frequently in the winter and it is systemic, but once they're replaced, he hasn't had anyone come back again.

I'm guessing these things just sit on the assembly line and wear down and get dusty - I really have no idea. But when replaced with a new OEM accuator, the sound never returns. It has to be an assembly line thing...

2018 Mazda6 Signature
- Soul Red/Parchment
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
My 6 isn't doing it nearly as much as my 3 did so I am fine leaving it as is now. But if it gets worse, it's comforting to know that the replacement actuators should work well.

Quote:
Yes sir. It's a systemic Mazda issue. I had all 4 replaced in my '16 Mazda 3. Noticed my '18 6 doing it within the first 5k miles on cooler days. Only had issues with the front two doors. It's definitely more pronounced in colder weather. Had both the front replaced and I haven't had a single issue since the winter started (had them replaced in October).

The Fiancee's '16 CX5 GT has the same issue, but very sporadically and only in very cold weather. She doesn't even notice it, thinks I'm crazy. My Service Manager friend says he does more frequently in the winter and it is systemic, but once they're replaced, he hasn't had anyone come back again.

I'm guessing these things just sit on the assembly line and wear down and get dusty - I really have no idea. But when replaced with a new OEM accuator, the sound never returns. It has to be an assembly line thing...
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 12:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocramida View Post
(I also did not check on gear ratios of the N/A compared to the Turbo. Are they the same?)
The gearing is different between the NA and the Turbo. The Turbo is geared lower than my previous 2016 iGT as well as the current 2018 NAs.

Mike -- 2018 Signature

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page