2018 Mazda 6-Consumer Reports - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
GWL
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Thanks: 8
Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader: 0 reviews
2018 Mazda 6-Consumer Reports

Did anybody notice that the 0-60 time of the 2018 N/A 2.5L is now 9.2 seconds, the last time I checked Consumer Reports mag it was 7.5 seconds.


Sound deadening and thicker glass added 100-200 pounds but it shouldn't be that slow, it's now a slug compared to the 2014-2015 models.
GWL is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 02:03 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Thanks: 2
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
OVT should help!

Once in a while, I race this car. It may be "slow" but for everyday use, I think it is sufficient for me.
Archerfish is online now  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 08:39 AM
Registered User
 
ocramida's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,179
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Thanks: 31
Thanked 100 Times in 90 Posts
Groans: 1
Groaned at 12 Times in 4 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWL View Post
Did anybody notice that the 0-60 time of the 2018 N/A 2.5L is now 9.2 seconds, the last time I checked Consumer Reports mag it was 7.5 seconds.


Sound deadening and thicker glass added 100-200 pounds but it shouldn't be that slow, it's now a slug compared to the 2014-2015 models.
Having owned a 2016 and now the turbo sig. I can confidently say it is NOT a slug. Power is delivered much differently with the turbo. And where I was not all that concerned about getting stopped for speeding in my 2016, that isnt the case with the 2018.
People need to stop relying on 0-60 times and tests that are not relevant in real-life situations. Product "specs" are just marketing soundbytes meant to take the intelligence and first-hand evaluation out of buying. IMO.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

2018 Machine Gray Mazda6 Signature
2010 Mazda CX-9 GT Dolphin w/Nav
ocramida is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 03:00 PM
Registered User
 
Dougspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 183
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Thanks: 15
Thanked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Groans: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocramida View Post
Having owned a 2016 and now the turbo sig. I can confidently say it is NOT a slug. Power is delivered much differently with the turbo. And where I was not all that concerned about getting stopped for speeding in my 2016, that isnt the case with the 2018.
People need to stop relying on 0-60 times and tests that are not relevant in real-life situations. Product "specs" are just marketing soundbytes meant to take the intelligence and first-hand evaluation out of buying. IMO.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
I believe he was referring to the non-turbo 2018, not the turbo as he states the time for the 2.5L NA, not the 2.5L turbo.
Dougspeed is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 03:37 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Vancouver, BC Canada
Posts: 271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
Yes he was referring to the non-turbo Mazda6... and very likely, with the A/T. The new car is heavier, and the A/T versions have that pendular flywheel, to quell the transition from operating on 4 active cylinders versus two... and vice-versa. I wonder if that has any effect? For sure, the testing conditions (ambient temp, local atmospheric pressure, moisture on the ground, etc.) and the use of the same test equipment could affect matters.

I agree that the 0-60 speed measurement is probably not that significant relative to everyday use considerations - but the increment in that acceleration measurement - a well-nigh 2 second increment - is substantial.

Cdn17Sport6MT
Vancouver, BC Canada

Last edited by Cdn17Sport6MT; 11-21-2018 at 03:39 PM.
Cdn17Sport6MT is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 06:49 PM
Registered User
 
ocramida's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,179
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Thanks: 31
Thanked 100 Times in 90 Posts
Groans: 1
Groaned at 12 Times in 4 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdn17Sport6MT View Post
Yes he was referring to the non-turbo Mazda6... and very likely, with the A/T. The new car is heavier, and the A/T versions have that pendular flywheel, to quell the transition from operating on 4 active cylinders versus two... and vice-versa. I wonder if that has any effect? For sure, the testing conditions (ambient temp, local atmospheric pressure, moisture on the ground, etc.) and the use of the same test equipment could affect matters.

I agree that the 0-60 speed measurement is probably not that significant relative to everyday use considerations - but the increment in that acceleration measurement - a well-nigh 2 second increment - is substantial.
Oops, sorry. Guess I read too fast.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

2018 Machine Gray Mazda6 Signature
2010 Mazda CX-9 GT Dolphin w/Nav
ocramida is online now  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
GWL
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Thanks: 8
Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archerfish View Post
OVT should help!

Once in a while, I race this car. It may be "slow" but for everyday use, I think it is sufficient for me.

Turbo engine is almost a must now, maybe they slowed down the car so more people purchase the GT+ models.
GWL is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 09:37 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Thanks: 2
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWL View Post
Turbo engine is almost a must now, maybe they slowed down the car so more people purchase the GT+ models.
Just to avoid misunderstanding, where I admit I've committed, I have the diesel variant and not the one mentioned earlier.


In our place, we only have 3 variants. One is the 2.5 L gasoline, the other is wagon with the same engine, and the third one is the diesel variant which I have and has a turbocharger. I haven't checked the latest release this year.

If I may stray from the topic, I like the grille design of 2019. I saw it on my brother's CX-5. I just don't know it it's easy to clean.
Archerfish is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome