Learners License

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Test Drove 2018 Signature

Yesterday I test drove a 2018 M6 Signature after lurking for a long time. I test drove a 2015 and hadn’t pulled the trigger then, after seeing the refresh for 2018 I was somewhat disappointed until I saw it in person at the 2018 Chicago Auto Show. Well I finally stopped by the dealer to drive one and I must say I was really surprised. You can watch and read all the reviews and think you know what the car is like but it feels really good in person, love the handling, steering and braking. The turbo was also impressive, relatively quick off the line, excellent passing power but you can also drive it civilly. I thought I was sold on the chestnut interior but the one I drove was parchment and I really like that a lot more. Looking to order one in February of 2019. What an excellent car, and thanks for allowing me in the forums and offering my opinion.
ocramida, Get Inline and bacevedo like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 03:46 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Yes this is a really fun car.😁😁

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorsnwheels View Post
Yesterday I test drove a 2018 M6 Signature after lurking for a long time. I test drove a 2015 and hadn’t pulled the trigger then, after seeing the refresh for 2018 I was somewhat disappointed until I saw it in person at the 2018 Chicago Auto Show. Well I finally stopped by the dealer to drive one and I must say I was really surprised. You can watch and read all the reviews and think you know what the car is like but it feels really good in person, love the handling, steering and braking. The turbo was also impressive, relatively quick off the line, excellent passing power but you can also drive it civilly. I thought I was sold on the chestnut interior but the one I drove was parchment and I really like that a lot more. Looking to order one in February of 2019. What an excellent car, and thanks for allowing me in the forums and offering my opinion.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 01:55 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Groans: 9
Groaned at 10 Times in 8 Posts
I like how the drive train is carefully tuned for when it comes to any form of daily driving.

0-60 and quarter mile times mean nothing to the average driver. It's all about torque, how quickly and linearly that torque is delivered, and how well the transmission is tuned to take advantage of what you are given. effective torque from low-rpm is exactly what makes passing cars and maneuvering through slower traffic simple and efficient.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 08:06 AM
Learners License

Yes you're right but this mazda 6 with 93 94 octane can do 14.199s 1/4 miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Inline View Post
I like how the drive train is carefully tuned for when it comes to any form of daily driving.

0-60 and quarter mile times mean nothing to the average driver. It's all about torque, how quickly and linearly that torque is delivered, and how well the transmission is tuned to take advantage of what you are given. effective torque from low-rpm is exactly what makes passing cars and maneuvering through slower traffic simple and efficient.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 01:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babs View Post
I doubt that. It can barely break into 15 second quarter mile with 91. My 2011 528i, 3900LB, 240HP and 221ft/lb of torque gets 14.9 seconds.

The Mazda is held back mainly by it's conservative ECU tune biased toward good torque at regular RPM's and the tires are too thin to put down any sort of power. The turbo 2.5 would be a monster with an ECU tune.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 01:16 PM
Learners License

This guy in quebec did 14.199s

https://youtu.be/Axet0clRKRo

The same did previously 14.38s and 14.43s.

https://youtu.be/d2HW5eRlXBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Inline View Post
Quote:
I doubt that. It can barely break into 15 second quarter mile with 91. My 2011 528i, 3900LB, 240HP and 221ft/lb of torque gets 14.9 seconds.

The Mazda is held back mainly by it's conservative ECU tune biased toward good torque at regular RPM's and the tires are too thin to put down any sort of power. The turbo 2.5 would be a monster with an ECU tune.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 01:35 PM
Mazda Guru

Mentioned: 238 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Thanked 1,137 Times in 827 Posts
Groaned at 12 Times in 8 Posts
Garage
Motor Trend measured 15 flat at 93.4 MPH. Octane used wasn't mentioned. Click me!

I'm thinking with grippier tires, low 14's shouldn't be a problem, if you can put the power down correctly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2018 MAZDA 6 GRAND TOURING RESERVE - Deep Crystal Blue
"The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 01:42 PM
Learners License

Motortrend:91 octane
Car and driver :87octane.
Nobody(motortrend car and driver,motorweek...) test this car with 93-94octane there is a significant difference but people don't know that.
With 94 octane(petro canada) i did 50mph to 70mph in 3.8s car and driver 87octane 50-70mph in 4.2s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mz6GreyGhost View Post
Motor Trend measured 15 flat at 93.4 MPH. Octane used wasn't mentioned. Click me!

I'm thinking with grippier tires, low 14's shouldn't be a problem, if you can put the power down correctly.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 08:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
This guy in quebec did 14.199s

https://youtu.be/Axet0clRKRo
Quite impressive. Means the 0-60 is roughly 5.9 seconds.

You're very unlikely to achieve such figures out in the real world though, because that drag-strip pavement is far more grippy than what you would find on the street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mz6GreyGhost View Post
I'm thinking with grippier tires, low 14's shouldn't be a problem if you can put the power down correctly.
Totally agree. But honestly, I've seen what an LSD can do on a FWD car when it comes to putting down power, and without one the capabilities can only be so high. wider tires are definitely a necessity though.

Quote:
Nobody(motortrend car and driver,motorweek...) test this car with 93-94octane there is a significant difference but people don't know that.
With 94 octane(petro canada) i did 50mph to 70mph in 3.8s car and driver 87octane 50-70mph in 4.2s
You're best off using Shell 91 because it is ethanol free. Petro 94 is very good though.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 08:38 AM
Shiro Shinobi

Mentioned: 760 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2752 Post(s)
Thanked 4,008 Times in 2,815 Posts
Groaned at 15 Times in 15 Posts
Garage
@Motorsnwheels Glad you got to test drive it! That's why we're all here. Mazda is incredibly proficient at creating exciting cars to drive, and I will continue to love them as long as they continue to do that

Current:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Sold:
, 3rd Generation

A gov't big enough to give you anything you want is big enough to take all you have.
"Camry: For Drivers Without a Soul." - Mz6GreyGhost
For your 'will these tires fit' needs:

Need a Part Number? Find it

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page