Test Drove 2018 Signature - Page 2 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 09:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Inline View Post
You're best off using Shell 91 because it is ethanol free. Petro 94 is very good though.
I've seen you post this before so did some research, and apparently it's regionally dependent. I'm in the Chicago metropolitan area and according to this site there are only a handful of stations in IL selling Shell non-ethanol fuels and none are in the Chicago area. Looks like Canada has a much higher availability of non-ethanol fuels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 11:51 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Groans: 6
Groaned at 10 Times in 10 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_k View Post
I've seen you post this before so did some research, and apparently it's regionally dependent. I'm in the Chicago metropolitan area and according to this site there are only a handful of stations in IL selling Shell non-ethanol fuels and none are in the Chicago area. Looks like Canada has a much higher availability of non-ethanol fuels.
This is true for much of the US unfortunately. On top of that the difference in the price makes it even harder on a person as there is no way you can even come close in the MPG vs cost to have it seem even slightly reasonable and I'm a person who spends the extra money to run premium.

We have one station in a 150 mile radius that sells it. It is approx. $0.95 a gallon more than premium with the 10% blend.

Availability and cost makes it not worth wasting ones time to make it a consideration although I'd love to run it all things being (even slightly) equal.

2018 Signature - White Pearl - Chestnut
Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 12:21 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I'm 7500 miles into my 2018 6 GT. I love it. It does everything well. Yes I would have bought a manual trans but they did a great job with the auto logic.
The engine is a torquer. Not much point in revving it out other than sound, full torque seems to be at 2000 rpm. I have yet to see a hp/torque curve but I suspect that will verify that revving it out is not necessary. Highway driving is quiet and the gearing is perfect to allow zippy passes without a downshift. Engine is quieter than the non turbo 2.5 due to lower compression.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 07:17 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 12 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFORich View Post
I'm 7500 miles into my 2018 6 GT. I love it. It does everything well. Yes I would have bought a manual trans but they did a great job with the auto logic.
The engine is a torquer. Not much point in revving it out other than sound, full torque seems to be at 2000 rpm. I have yet to see a hp/torque curve but I suspect that will verify that revving it out is not necessary. Highway driving is quiet and the gearing is perfect to allow zippy passes without a downshift. Engine is quieter than the non turbo 2.5 due to lower compression.
IIRC torque stretches to 4K and HP to 5K. I enjoy using the paddles, but yeah this is not a high revving engine.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

2018 Machine Gray Mazda6 Signature
2010 Mazda CX-9 GT Dolphin w/Nav
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocramida View Post
IIRC torque stretches to 4K and HP to 5K. I enjoy using the paddles, but yeah this is not a high revving engine.
I have not yet driven the 2018 2.5L Turbo in the Mazda 6, but every article I've read and every video review I've watched says that Mazda tuned the powerband of the engine for more urban/domestic (non-performance) driving so to speak, hence the lower powerband, weak perf above 5k rpm, and easily chirps the tires from standstill...'almost too easy' some have said. It would be nice to have that shifted or extended a bit upwards. Looking fwd to what OV or someone else might have to offer in a tune. I'm sure for many people the OEM tune will be fine. YMMV.
I'm always interested to see how much more is left in the engine to safely bring forth.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 05:28 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
0 60 in 6.0s flat.
Beetween 1.8s and 7.8s.
https://youtu.be/Fuk_ClfOwiQ
mahostetler likes this.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Inline View Post
You're best off using Shell 91 because it is ethanol free.
Glad you can get uncut premium where you're at. Sadly.... here in Kalifornia, not only is the octane limited to 91, but also has ethanol in Shell V-Power Premium.
I'm so looking fwd to getting outta here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page