3L Duratec now works on Mazda 6's (Minneapolis, MN) - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
3L Duratec now works on Mazda 6's (Minneapolis, MN)

We had a Mazda 6 come to us last week for a motor swap. He spun a rod bearing in his Mazda 6 (3L 5-speed) and was looking for a good price on a swap so we took it on. The Mazda was a dream work on compared to the Contour and Cougars we work on all the time. It's like someone actually put some thought into how things could be removed and designed parts to make it easier. Ever try to remove headers or an alternator on a Contour/Cougar... don't it's horrible but on the 6 it was a piece of cake. We are known for modifying 3L motors so they drop into Contours and Cougars.

If anyone has a blown 3L motor and needs a new one, wants mods installed, or just needs general repair on their 3L Mazda 6 let us know. We are in the process of updating our site and plan to add a section for the Mazda 6. We are located in Minneapolis, MN.

Thanks,
Chris
http://www.3LDuratec.com

Visit:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for 3L swaps for your Contour/Cougar/Mazda 6 or for general repair work at low rates.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Blackcoog; 12-12-2011 at 08:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 03:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Groans: 1
So the 3.0L in the most current Escape and Fusion makes 240hp. Would that swap in the same way? Just curious

'04 Mazda 6s 4dr (Glacier Silver)
18" '09 RX-8 rims/tires, HIDs, K&N filter, 45/20% window tint, debadged emblems, 194 LEDs, '07 black trimmed taillights w/red turn signals, chrome JDM grille, door handles & trunk lip, billet lower grille, strut tower brace, LeBra hood protector, XM Radio
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 07:24 AM Thread Starter

I had already been looking into a 2010 Fusion motor. I may pick one up shortly to tinker with. I had also been looking at picking up a cheap Mazda 6 as a project car. If anyone knows of a cheap 3L Mazda 6 with a blown motor let me know.

Does anyone know much about the variable cam timing in the Mazda 6? I was looking at the possibility of creating a VCT controller for the Cougar or Contour to allow them to use the VCT motors as well. It would be stand alone and take in various engine parameters and output the 0-12V pulse width modulation needed to control it. I'm trying to find the tables that are stored in the Mazda 6 ECU. I'd love to get the lookup table the computer uses based on RPM and load to determine the duty cycle for the square wave.

Visit:
for 3L swaps for your Contour/Cougar/Mazda 6 or for general repair work at low rates.

Last edited by Blackcoog; 12-13-2011 at 07:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 09:16 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Groans: 66
Groaned at 20 Times in 18 Posts
Send a message via AIM to MonoxideChild
keep an eye on your local craigslist. mazda6's with a blown 3.0's is a pretty common find. lol.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 11:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My GF has a 2000 contour with the 2.5 Duratec. If it didn't look so awful it might be worth it to do a 3L swap. The tranny is way more of a problem than the engine, so far.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

The automatics in the Contour/Cougar are pretty bad. The 3L swap really wakes those cars up. Power usually goes from 145whp to about 210whp (with bolt-ons).

Visit:

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 10:25 AM
e4w

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to e4w
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcoog View Post
The automatics in the Contour/Cougar are pretty bad. The 3L swap really wakes those cars up. Power usually goes from 145whp to about 210whp (with bolt-ons).
Hey, do you know if headers from the 2.5 motors are interchangeable with 3.0 6s motors?

[B][SIZE=2]2004 6s MTX/sport clutch/air box mod/de badged/ TB Coolant by-pass /6000K HID/AWR 88D Rear mount/AWR 88D upper trans mount/exh mod

my 6

185.66hp/ 170tq 11/2011

213kmi (Sept 4, 2016) update
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 01:31 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoxideChild View Post
keep an eye on your local craigslist. mazda6's with a blown 3.0's is a pretty common find. lol.
Hey MonoxideChild, I may have one in my garage. Is it really that common?
The Following User Says Thank You to J. Davies For This Useful Post:
MonoxideChild (01-12-2012)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 02:12 PM
banana boat.

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 46 Times in 43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Davies View Post
no not really

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed4ward1982 View Post
Hey, do you know if headers from the 2.5 motors are interchangeable with 3.0 6s motors?
nope they are vastly different. If memory serves they go around the engine on the opposite side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcoog View Post
I had already been looking into a 2010 Fusion motor. I may pick one up shortly to tinker with. I had also been looking at picking up a cheap Mazda 6 as a project car. If anyone knows of a cheap 3L Mazda 6 with a blown motor let me know.

Does anyone know much about the variable cam timing in the Mazda 6? I was looking at the possibility of creating a VCT controller for the Cougar or Contour to allow them to use the VCT motors as well. It would be stand alone and take in various engine parameters and output the 0-12V pulse width modulation needed to control it. I'm trying to find the tables that are stored in the Mazda 6 ECU. I'd love to get the lookup table the computer uses based on RPM and load to determine the duty cycle for the square wave.
I have talked about playing with the VVT with a couple of the other guys who have pretty heavily modded 6s, and from what has been surmised it isn't something that can be modified like Vtec in a honda. I want to say it is oil actuated by, but a cam sensor, but don't quote me on that as it has been a while. I personally hate the VVT and makes are cars sound like butthole in the upper RPMs.

the 3.7L on the 2G Mazda 6 have several backwards compatible parts so if the fusion shares the same block(idk never looked) then it should be a relatively simple exchange. I know that a company in Canada is in the process of doing a 3.7L swap as we speak and tuning accordingly.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 04:18 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Groans: 66
Groaned at 20 Times in 18 Posts
Send a message via AIM to MonoxideChild
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Davies View Post
yea. it seems to be. i can search my local craigslist, and usually find one with a blown motor. so its not like its that Uncommon.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page