Upgrading Bose - phase 1(Opinions?) - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

2Likes
  • 1 Post By DrBoom
  • 1 Post By TalonTsi90

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Upgrading Bose - phase 1(Opinions?)

Alright so my 2006 has Bose which sounds “okay.” A little bass heavy which is fine, but not as much clarity as I’d like. The bass is sufficient for now, I don’t blast it or try to rattle doors/windows. That being said I have been researching relentlessly and think I have a solid plan of attack. Any feedback is welcome or let me know if I’m missing something.

New headunit, installed into a single din for the top storage compartment. Run seperate power wire to fuse panel w in-line fuse for head unit, piggyback off the Bose head unit wires with quick taps for my other sources, ground wire behind top dash to frame but/bolt. Use the 8 “speaker wires” from the Bose hu which are really flat signal wires to the amp connected using rca spliced ends into the new headunit pre outs. This should give me full range of speakers with control/adjustment. I’m thinking if that doesn’t give me a little more control and what I’m after that I will run new wire to the front doors and wire aftermarket 4ohm 6.5s directly to the headunit, and then possibly moving the stock Bose 6.5s to the back to remove the stock 5.25s and keep it a little more bass heavy on my rear audio controls (which will now just be the stock subwoofer and rear 6.5s).

This should leave me with an aftermarket head unit integrated into the stock Bose with a little more oomph and retain and auto climate/front displays and a stock appearance with the stock headunit still in place. Only Bose speakers will be filtered through the Bose amp eq if they stay in the car. Future upgrades are as easy as running new amp wires with a new amp for the door and either retaining the stock Bose sub as a preout or adding a new sub/amp combo as well. Kudos to everyone else over the years for compiling the information on this site that lead me to this point. Thoughts and opinions welcome!

I’ll update as I order everything and have a chance to install.
DrFeelGood likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 08:37 AM
Track Racer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Groans: 20
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
Just get a BT adapter and wire an AUX in (see my sig) and get a hatchback sub. If you think youre lacking highs, check the door tweets.

2006 6 Hatch Grand Touring 5spd Sunroof
2017 3 GT 6spd

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 09:34 AM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBoom View Post
Alright so my 2006 has Bose which sounds ďokay.Ē A little bass heavy which is fine, but not as much clarity as Iíd like. The bass is sufficient for now, I donít blast it or try to rattle doors/windows. That being said I have been researching relentlessly and think I have a solid plan of attack. Any feedback is welcome or let me know if Iím missing something.

New headunit, installed into a single din for the top storage compartment. Run seperate power wire to fuse panel w in-line fuse for head unit, piggyback off the Bose head unit wires with quick taps for my other sources, ground wire behind top dash to frame but/bolt. Use the 8 ďspeaker wiresĒ from the Bose hu which are really flat signal wires to the amp connected using rca spliced ends into the new headunit pre outs. This should give me full range of speakers with control/adjustment. Iím thinking if that doesnít give me a little more control and what Iím after that I will run new wire to the front doors and wire aftermarket 4ohm 6.5s directly to the headunit, and then possibly moving the stock Bose 6.5s to the back to remove the stock 5.25s and keep it a little more bass heavy on my rear audio controls (which will now just be the stock subwoofer and rear 6.5s).

This should leave me with an aftermarket head unit integrated into the stock Bose with a little more oomph and retain and auto climate/front displays and a stock appearance with the stock headunit still in place. Only Bose speakers will be filtered through the Bose amp eq if they stay in the car. Future upgrades are as easy as running new amp wires with a new amp for the door and either retaining the stock Bose sub as a preout or adding a new sub/amp combo as well. Kudos to everyone else over the years for compiling the information on this site that lead me to this point. Thoughts and opinions welcome!

Iíll update as I order everything and have a chance to install.

Get an EQ - should solve your problem with little time and cost. Other than that, head to a well respected installer and ask them what they would do. Some may up grade your existing system or replace the entire system for something new with whatever interest you. EQ is the best result in my view. I find my 2015 GT with every available option is fine as is and still under factory warranty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 09:37 AM
Track Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepwater6 View Post
Get an EQ - should solve your problem with little time and cost. Other than that, head to a well respected installer and ask them what they would do. Some may up grade your existing system or replace the entire system for something new with whatever interest you. EQ is the best result in my view. I find my 2015 GT with every available option is fine as is and still under factory warranty.

Yea, so its obvious you dont know anything about the 06-08 Bose first hand then, so dont give out generic advice.
DJ Raydiate likes this.

2017 3 GT 6spd

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Well the thing is if I get a headunit I have eq options right there with the ability to easily upgrade and more media control. I’m looking at a current cost between the pioneer hu and din/wiring not even topping 200, obviously adding speakers would increase the cost. I already have an aux mod, but pioneer offers smart sync and usb control over apple or android along with aux and bt. (I can mount my phone and use it as a touchscreen display to control the interface.) Also this is no 2015, the audio design is over 15 years old in my car. If I had a 15 I would just drop in a double din real quick lol. Unfortunately the 1st gen didn’t make it so quick and easy.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 11:09 PM
Track Racer

With the BT module, it turns your phone into the source AND be able to make calls still. It thinks its a headset, so the phone doesnt act any differently. You can even get APTX adapters for well under $50 for lossless BT where 4.0 wont work.

2017 3 GT 6spd

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Update: New pioneer head unit is all wired from testing and working now, still waiting on this single din fascia to arrive from China though, arrived in the US on the 4th and hasn’t updated since...

I was able to keep the stock radio and climate controls in tact by using quick taps for my power sources, amp signal and the speaker signals. The speaker signal taps are then run from speaker wire to a spliced rca connection into the back of the headunit preamp outputs. The only new line I had to run was a seperate ground for the new headunit. I used an antenna extension from local auto parts store so its long enough to reach the top compartment. I did not need any additional wiring harnesses or adapters(loc/pac/etc).

I just leave the stock radio powered off and everything functions as it should utilizing the stock amp and speakers. I just need to fiddle with the audio settings a little bit if anyone has similar experience or info on eq settings for an aftermarket hu on stock Bose amp/speakers.

I may upgrade door speakers wires to the headunit or order 2ohms and keep the Bose amp, havent decided. Also considering adding a small self powered woofer in the cabin for a little more bass.

So far it sounds good and it gives me more functionality as far as iPhone connectivity and control over the sound instead of the stock bass/treble limits.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Update for the previous, you must cut the 8 signal wires from the stock harness otherwise while it’s plugged into the factory radio your sound is horribly muffled from the signal. I had them piggy backed and had very low volume, separating from the stock harness solved it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page