post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
apple carplay 2015 sport

I wanted to know if I can add Apple Carplay to a 2015 sport model

i know there was an update last year for certain models to be retrofitted. I read a thread about AA/ACP but it was mostly dealing with newer models.
Im not necessarily 100% opposed to an aftermarket HU but I would prefer just to add ACP to my stock unit if possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 11:39 AM
Learners License

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Garage
I'm also looking for a Carplay/AA solution for my 2014 touring. The 2014/2015 cars are not eligible at all - they have totally different hardware than the newer "tablet" looking head units. If you find a solid aftermarket solution, let me know. I'm trying to keep my stock backup camera and hopefully commander knob.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 05:07 AM
Learners License

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Since I'm having problems finding an answer as well, I too would like to know if there is a comprehensive solution to add carplay to a 2015 GT w/ Bose.

Looks like there's a $90 harness from crutchfield that includes the adapter and steering wheel controller box needed for aftermarket HUs, and a $25 adapter for using the factory backup cam w/ the aftermarket HU, so that solves a lot already. Plus, it appears to be mostly plug n play into the aftermarket HU. The adapter also seems to have some RCA outputs, which I hope is line out, but I can't tell from the description.

The big questions is, whether the command knob thing will work with aftermarket HUs, and if it does, how does it function? If it doesn't function, is there a blanking plate or something to get rid of the knob?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 09:31 AM
Learners License

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznatama View Post
The big questions is, whether the command knob thing will work with aftermarket HUs, and if it does, how does it function? If it doesn't function, is there a blanking plate or something to get rid of the knob?
So far, I've been unable to find anything that definitively will maintain the commander knob short of an android head unit (which almost always won't support CarPlay/AA). I know the sport trims did not include a commander knob. If I recall correctly, they had a little cup in place of the knob so that could likely be tracked down.

I wish I could remember where I read about it, but someone had mentioned the iDatalink Maestro RR could support the commander knob but I haven't found anything to back this claim up yet and I haven't had the chance to speak with an iDatalink representative. I intend to make some inquiries with a few vendors to see if anyone has more information, I just haven't found the time to do so yet.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 09:35 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Commander doesn’t 100% work - but
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6c-HqQOfDM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page