Post What You Run! 2014 Head Unit Upgrade - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Post What You Run! 2014 Head Unit Upgrade

I feel a little bit bad creating a post on such a widely discussed topic, but I'm struggling to find a satisfactory answer in the existing discussions. I have a 2014 Mazda 6 Touring without the Bose system and I'm not satisfied with the head unit's performance and feature set. It is (somehow) leaps and bounds ahead of my father's 2015 Toyota Sienna head unit (base model) and even in some respects better than my mother's 2017 Rav4 head unit, but I think there's better to be had.

I'm trying to figure out if anyone has found a head unit solution that retains steering wheel controls and the factory backup camera and offers CarPlay/Android Auto. I'd also really like to keep the commander knob, but it's not as big of a priority if I'm getting CarPlay. I'm trying to weigh the different options, but I'm being faced with a bit of an information overload without knowing how to narrow down what's out there.

If you guys could post what you've got installed for aftermarket head units (specifically for the 2013-2015 MY cars) and let me know what you like, dislike, and approximately what it cost, I would greatly appreciate it! I ran an android head unit in my old Mazda 3 and I wasn't satisfied by it either (primarily, having to use my phone hotspot and not having CarPlay), but I'm open to trying again if someone can give me a good reason to.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 07:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntermm View Post
I feel a little bit bad creating a post on such a widely discussed topic, but I'm struggling to find a satisfactory answer in the existing discussions. I have a 2014 Mazda 6 Touring without the Bose system and I'm not satisfied with the head unit's performance and feature set. It is (somehow) leaps and bounds ahead of my father's 2015 Toyota Sienna head unit (base model) and even in some respects better than my mother's 2017 Rav4 head unit, but I think there's better to be had.

I'm trying to figure out if anyone has found a head unit solution that retains steering wheel controls and the factory backup camera and offers CarPlay/Android Auto. I'd also really like to keep the commander knob, but it's not as big of a priority if I'm getting CarPlay. I'm trying to weigh the different options, but I'm being faced with a bit of an information overload without knowing how to narrow down what's out there.

If you guys could post what you've got installed for aftermarket head units (specifically for the 2013-2015 MY cars) and let me know what you like, dislike, and approximately what it cost, I would greatly appreciate it! I ran an android head unit in my old Mazda 3 and I wasn't satisfied by it either (primarily, having to use my phone hotspot and not having CarPlay), but I'm open to trying again if someone can give me a good reason to.

Thank you!
I’m in same situation with my 2014. I honestly think the only head unit that will retain commander switch functionality a little bit is the Smart Rover. I’m not about its reliability, fit and performance though.

2014 Mazda6 iTouring
Jet Black Mica
20% Llumar ATR
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipmb2985 View Post
Iím in same situation with my 2014. I honestly think the only head unit that will retain commander switch functionality a little bit is the Smart Rover. Iím not about its reliability, fit and performance though.
That's the same conclusion I've come to as well, but I'm still holding out hope that somebody has got it figured out and just hasn't posted anything yet. It's not a huge rush for me to replace the head unit just yet (not really ready to spend the money), so I'll just wait it out for a bit. If I find myself with some free time, I'll dig into the car myself and see if there's any DIY solution I can come up with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 12:59 AM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Sorry - not HU specifically - but: What features are you looking for?

My sons 2014 GT, with Bose - we just added two 10” seal subs to the trunk using the pac adapter (which plugs in behind the head unit) and then we spliced the front door and front dash speakers line/out into a Kicker KEY amp, with stock speakers, it took a while to dial in the cross-overs - but it bangs really well. Yeah, we did some other stuff too.

Our objective was sound - We looked and looked and hunted and compared head unit options and their price compared to a DSP capable amp and sub just didn’t make sense.

He doesn’t use the commander knob anyways - not does he use the nav or any of the other stuff in the stock HU really. He uses his phone for everything - . So, of course, we wish we could have found a HU with CarPlay, but the two we looked at were way over budget for the objective (good sound)

So - what is your objective by replacing the HU?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 07:46 AM

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
I have a Pioneer 4000-NEX in my car. Was built before Android Auto and such came out (not that I care anyway) but it does have a backup camera input, which I added (I have a Sport, which did not come with one originally.)

I love the thing; it does Bluetooth of course and for handsfree calls it works fabulously (voice quality is excellent in both directions), the SWC work (used the PAC interface for that) and I've got a 120Gb SSD mounted up under the glovebox which has my entire music collection and a few movies on it. Added a small amp for better sound (not really so much for volume per-se) and a small Kenwood sub under the front pax seat.

Did the entire install myself and it's been 100% trouble-free, with one exception -- in extremely cold temperatures (under 0F) the screen does not come on from a cold start. After the cabin warms up a bit if you shut down and restart it does, but this winter when I got in the car on a -10F morning the system was working fine but there was no display. Apparently the LCD panels Pioneer uses don't like to power up in stupid-cold temperatures; I'm not sure I can blame them as I don't care for such temperatures very much either ;-)

It's been an absolutely-fabulous system, sounds great and looks factory installed. I'd do it again in a second. The newer versions of the same head unit have Android Auto and also support the Maestro interface, which (at least in theory) does both SWC *and* has the canbus integration for settings. I didn't lose them on my car as I never had them in the Sport to begin with.

Last edited by tickerguy; 05-26-2019 at 07:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page