Mazda 6 Forums banner

Enable touch screen on 2018 six

29K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  AdultingSux 
#1 ·
Hey guys found this on youtube. Seems to not work when I try it. Has anyone done this on a 2018 to enable the touch screen while driving?

theres a video on youtube

#2 ·
As of now the only method is to tap into the UART connection on the head unit harness and use the AIO tweaks script. The method to get into the engineering menu was disabled in newer versions of v59 software. I'm currently searching for another way as well.

#3 ·
If anyone has the procedure for accessing the CMU in 2018 6’s, it would be appreciated. All the videos and written manuals I’ve found thus far are for 14-17, which have a different dashboard setup.

#11 · (Edited)
From MZD Firmware (FW) version 59.00.502 to 70.00.100 you can do the old serial access (www.mazdatweaks.com/serial). For the current 70.00.335 you have to do the new serial access (www.mazdatweaks.com/id7). With doing so, you enable the possibility to install tweaks via USB. Then you could install the touchscreen tweak from AIO Tweaks (www.mazdatweaks.com). This enables touch while driving for the MZD - and if installed also for Apple CarPlay (CP). For an officially installed Android Auto (AA) it is not possible to enable touch at all. And if you think about installing the AIO AA tweak, at which touch works, remember that this is not as stable as original Mazda AA and AIO AA does not work with any FW 70 at all. All on your own risk. This is the only way to enable touch while driving for newer MZD firmware versions.

#12 ·
Anyone know if a tweak to disable the touch screen? (I have AIO installed and working) but it only has a tweak to enable while driving but I want to disable the touch screen altogether.. (it's acting up and I don't want to take it apart and unplug the ribbon wire like they used to do)
It's a 2017

#13 · (Edited)
Yes, there is a tweak for disabling the touchscreen. See this post for details and downloadlink.

Edit:
Downloadlink: http://nots.mazdatweaks.win
Instruction: unzip to blank FAT32 formatted USB Drive and connect to car USB port
This will completely disable the touchscreen all the time.
To re-enable the touchscreen you just run this same installer again, it will detect whether the screen is disabled or enabled and do the opposite.

#20 ·
I just unzipped the files on to a USB stick and put it in the USB port in the center console, pushed the start button (to turn the radio on) and as it's booting up it sees the file in the USB stick, it gives you a pop up with some info telling you that you're about to disable the touch screen and if you want to reverse it just repeat the process.. it took a few seconds so be patient (I didn't think it was doing anything the first try).. I do have mzd aio installed but from what I understand, this should work regardless

#19 ·
If you can install tweaks (like this) via USB depends on your MZD firmware (FW) version. If its a new Mazda6 most probably your FW is too new (same or higher than 59.00.502) to install tweaks via USB. From 59.00.502 it is blocked. Only way to unblock is the complicated serial access. For up to/incl. 70.00.100: www.mazdatweaks.com/serial or from 70.00.335 onwards: www.mazdatweaks.com/id7
You can identify your MZD FW version like this: settings -> system tab (most right) -> about -> version

If you can install tweaks via USB the procedure is like you wrote: FAT 32 formatted USB Stick, copy files on it, insert into car, acc or engine on, wait for popup at display.

#22 ·
I got an extended warranty notice for the touchscreen for a “ghost touching” issue. I never had a problem and put the paperwork in a file somewhere.

you may want to call a dealer an see if they can fix it (free)
I'm fairly certain this issue is part of the reason Mazda is going away from the touch screen in the newer cars.. they are using safety as the scapegoat but this has been an issue for a while now

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.