The single best stereo improvement under $50 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
The single best stereo improvement under $50

I just wanted to post this here as a helpful tip to anyone who might be wanting to get a little more out of their stereo, whether it be the factory stereo or an aftermarket one.

This mod may take anywhere from 30 minutes to a few hours depending on how in-depth you want to go, and involves no knowledge of stereo installation, and can be done on a leased vehicle because it can be reversed in about 2 seconds.

Here it is: buy a used iPod. An iPod touch or classic, or even someone's old iPhone would work. Put your music on there and plug it into the USB port, and leave it in the storage box as a permanent sole-purpose unit.

For a long time, I was streaming my music via Bluetooth and once I plugged my old ipod in, I was amazed at how much better the sound quality was. Bluetooth compresses the sound significantly, and going straight from USB was like night and day.

The ipod I'm using is from 2010 so even the old ones work. The Mazda infotainment system interfaces really well with an ipod, letting you select music by artist, song, playlist, etc all from the root menu. And since it's always plugged in, it loads up super fast, and never runs out of power.

You can get them on ebay for as little as 35 bucks. If you get one with a cracked screen it's probably even less. It doesn't have to be pretty, as you'll almost never see it. And then you don't have to worry about it getting stolen, since it's so cheap to begin with.

The bulk of the time commitment with this will just be organizing all your music on iTunes (if you don't already have an iTunes library).

I realize that this won't really help folks who stream music through their phones, but for people like me who have a bunch of music it's a very easy and helpful change.

Happy driving!
MazdaMetalhead likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Iamadoorknob For This Useful Post:
Mz6GreyGhost (09-17-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 10:02 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Garage
I did something similar and just dumped mp3 files on a low profile USB and leave that plugged in the center console - works and sounds awesome as well. No iTunes for me. If you leave it as the last connected, it takes some time to load and hear music, so I try and remember to put it on radio prior to getting home - radio/music comes on quick that way and once underway, I can switch over.

2017.5 Mazda6 Touring 6sp. manual Deep Crystal Blue, Fog Lights
The Following User Says Thank You to LIMazda6 For This Useful Post:
Mz6GreyGhost (09-17-2018)
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 10:34 PM
Mazda Guru

Mentioned: 238 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Thanked 1,137 Times in 827 Posts
Groaned at 12 Times in 8 Posts
Garage
Thanks to the both of you for those tips! I'm still getting used to not having a CD player, and I'm getting sick of the few tunes I have on my cell phone... (Yes, I'm old, so what? lol)

Question: I still like listening to whole albums, so if I store mp3s in separate folders on the USB drive (by album), will the player recognize the files, and even play them in order by track?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2018 MAZDA 6 GRAND TOURING RESERVE - Deep Crystal Blue
"The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 12:01 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Groans: 9
Groaned at 10 Times in 8 Posts
Or you could just download your music onto a USB... as long as the files are at least 256KB the quality will be great.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 09:18 AM
Learners License

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Agreed. The USB option also works pretty well. I've used both USB and an iPod classic with my Mazdas (also have a CX-3). I am currently using the iPod in my Mazda6 as it allows for gapless playback which is nice to have when listening to some albums. I keep thinking that the music files on the iPod sound better in the car compared to the same music files on a USB drive, but I have no way to quantify that. One nice benefit of using a USB drive is that a low-profile drive takes up none of that limited space inside the console. The audio quality from either of these options should be much better than what you get through bluetooth.

2017 Grand Touring, Soul Red
OEM Splash Guards|OEM Cargo Net|LED Courtesy Lights|LED License Plate Lights|OEM Android Auto/Carplay Retrofit
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 09:23 AM
Learners License

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mz6GreyGhost View Post
Question: I still like listening to whole albums, so if I store mp3s in separate folders on the USB drive (by album), will the player recognize the files, and even play them in order by track?
As long as the music files are tagged properly (and I think any CD ripper should do this), the Infotainment system can group by Album, Artist, etc. For albums, it will play the tracks in the correct order - this is on a 2017 with software version 59.x.

2017 Grand Touring, Soul Red
OEM Splash Guards|OEM Cargo Net|LED Courtesy Lights|LED License Plate Lights|OEM Android Auto/Carplay Retrofit
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
I havent tried USB yet, but yes using a USB would produce the same great sound quality. I think one of the advantages of an ipod would be music organization. I'm not sure exactly how music would be organized on a USB drive, but organizing music on iTunes is really easy, and however you put things on iTunes is how it will transfer over to the ipod. When you're like me with 5000+ songs, organizing music manually is just not a feasible option.

The ipod also let's you make playlists, which I use almost exclusively. I don't think you could make a playlist on a USB, though I could be wrong about that.

I would also imagine, as some have hinted at, that the USB drive takes a while to load up music. This is because the car has to read and process the entire drive. With an ipod, the ipod itself does all the processing and the infotainment system only has to view text information. On my setup the music starts playing after about 20 seconds, and it takes maybe a minute before you can access the ipod menu.

At the end of the day, it's down to personal preference, but I that given how much a used ipod is, the benefits far outweigh the small cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mz6GreyGhost View Post
Thanks to the both of you for those tips! I'm still getting used to not having a CD player, and I'm getting sick of the few tunes I have on my cell phone... (Yes, I'm old, so what? lol)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Haven't tried USB, but you can definitely play by album on an ipod.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 813 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
If you're willing to get into the $50ish range the best option on non-Bose systems for improving the sound is to replace the dash tweeters. I've posted on this before; Db351s and bass blockers (I believe I settled on 47uf, non-polarized of course) make an AMAZING difference standing alone.
BrianU likes this.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 09:36 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Garage
Note that the new Android Auto update will use the USB connection from the phone when playing back audio through the AA interface even if Bluetooth is paired. It only uses Bluetooth for phone calls.

I don't know how Apple Carplay works, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that it, too, uses the USB interface for the audio.

2018 Signature
White Pearl - Chestnut
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Excellent tip, thank you. IMO going lossless with your audio files should bring even better results. I'm going to go this route, and also finaggle a CD player into the system just for grins. Nothing like a hardcopy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page