Mazda 6 Forums banner

Officially official, Android Auto/Apple Carplay for 2018 Mazda 6

98K views 333 replies 76 participants last post by  Ozzy_1968 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Fantastic.

Will be going by the dealership later today so I'm going to stop and schedule. I'm sure they will either not know anything about it or not know when they'll have the parts.

Really happy that "The hardware and software updates take approximately two service hours to perform.
In addition to installing Apple CarPlay™ and Android Auto™, those Mazda6 models upgraded will also receive a more powerful, faster-charging 2.1-amp USB port in addition to the latest software version of MAZDA CONNECT™.

Answers a lot of questions folks have been asking, all positive.

Thanks for the heads up.

#4 ·
Good lord the stock USB ports are slow. 2.1 A will be a welcome upgrade.

The upgrade will be available for 2017 and prior models, though it's not clear exactly how far back it goes. The upgrade for 2017 and older models will not be free, either.

#5 · (Edited)
Good lord the stock USB ports are slow. 2.1 A will be a welcome upgrade.

The upgrade will be available for 2017 and prior models, though it's not clear exactly how far back it goes. The upgrade for 2017 and older models will not be free, either.
Goes back to 2014 model as well as I was told by Service Rep at the dealership and also will not be free for 14-17 models but 18 models yes.. Come September all 18 and future models will have Carplay/Android Auto standard.

#6 ·
Cool to be sure, but it also be nice to get an idea of how much "installation" is required: i.e. not too excited about ripping my interior apart. Hopefully the lion's share of the 2 service hours is the actual sw update and the only hw change is swapping out the usb block from the armrest.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

#18 ·
Cool to be sure, but it also be nice to get an idea of how much "installation" is required: i.e. not too excited about ripping my interior apart. Hopefully the lion's share of the 2 service hours is the actual sw update and the only hw change is swapping out the usb block from the armrest.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
From what I was told that is the only real physical part of the installation. They weren't sure if the ports in the rear seat would be replaced but all the wiring is in place. They will not be taking the dash apart in any way

The majority of the install time is the download of the new files.

I would assume we'll be given a supplement for the operating Manual as well.

I'm scheduled for Sept. 12. If there will be any change they said I would be notified no less than 10 days before.

#7 ·
It's a little more involved than just switching the USB hub, in addition to the obvious firmware update (about 45 minutes). Physical removal of the CMU is needed to add new USB cables that supply the additional ampage.

A few owners actually imported the new hub from China and already did the hardware modification from what I have gathered.

Source: the Carplay diagram thread from mazda3revolution forums

#8 ·
This is great news, and as others have stated, I expect that if I call my dealer today they will have no idea when I can actually bring my car in to have it installed. I'm glad they confirmed the 2.1 amp USB ports, but I was pretty sure they were going to have to do that to be approved by Google/Apple to use their branding.

I'm hoping they'll remove the no touchscreen controls while moving limitation when using the Android Auto interface. If not, we'll see how well the knob works with Android Auto that was designed as a touch only interface.

#11 ·
So basically this will be available for us 2014-2015 peasants as well? But how, I don't understand, how would they add apple android car play to the outdated and old infotainment and how would apple android car play shows in the screen?

Basically how it works is you plug in your phone and apple car play appears on the screen. I don't see how this can be done on this old ass infotainment which is super old compared to 2016 info

I listen a lot to spotify with unlimited music streaming, so this would be great, but Mazda is probably gonna charge $500 for installation

See it happen

You can always just use a phone holder and your phone there lol first world problems

#12 ·
It technically applies to all MZD connect equipped vehicles, I know from that thread someone did it to a MX-5 and a KE CX-5, and per the official PR release by Mazda on the 18 Mazda6 today it looks like a cable/hub swap too, otherwise they wouldn't have to quote a 2 hour work window (again, firmware takes about 40-45 minutes to complete).

The Low Quality diagrams posted had the new cables routed from the CMU, down to the side of the glove box and through the passenger side firewall, FWIW.

#14 ·
Forgot to mention, the trim/panel removal is more tedious than daunting, and the center vent garnish is held together by metal clips, and the center tunnel is held together by some some really sturdy clips that can withstand reasonable manhandling.

Unrelated: feel free to drool on the Alcantara trim pieces available as accessories in JDM (Yes, that's blue LED footwell lighting in the second pic, available in white too).

Attachments

#15 ·
Technically as long as the system can setup the CarPlay functionality, there should be no reason the head unit can't do it. CarPlay is only an extension of the iPhone's display onto the screen. So it's like an interactive screen mirroring interface. All the application functionality is still done on the iPhone, not the head unit. All the HU has to worry about is setting up the AirPlay client to get the image, sending back the touch screen commands and ergo controller inputs, and controlling the audio stream (and maybe navi info for the HUD? (not sure if it will be supported)).

The hardware changes are likely the result of 2 reasons: The Apple CarPlay authentication chip is not built into the HU from the factory, and Apple's 2.1A charging requirement was not implemented by Mazda from the factory either. Both will be added by the new USB hub. The authentication chip is the reason why AA could be hacked into the HU but not CarPlay. Apple has a strict certification process to be allowed to use this chip, but Google does not require such things for AA. Of course maybe there's some kind of certification but certainly no hardware requirements. Why the USB cables from the HU to the hub need replaced though I'm not completely sure, but I'm sure something didn't meet Apple's spec.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to this! Hopefully they will have made other bug fixes as well.

#17 ·
I'm curious if there are any other non Carplay/Android Auto changes that will come with the latest version of Mazda Connect. I have 2 gripes with the current software, both of them having to do with Satellite radio.

1. I don't like that there is no ability to pause and rewind when listening to Satellite Radio. My 2009 Mazda6 has this function and I used it quite a bit. Seems lame that this simple feature didn't carry over to the newer models.

2. I don't like that song and artist information gets cut off on the screen when listening to satellite radio. If the artist's name, song name, etc. is over a certain number of characters, it just gets cut off. Pretty weak given how much screen real estate there is. Seems kinda lazy to me from a programming perspective.

#22 ·
I'm curious if there are any other non Carplay/Android Auto changes that will come with the latest version of Mazda Connect. I have 2 gripes with the current software, both of them having to do with Satellite radio.

1. I don't like that there is no ability to pause and rewind when listening to Satellite Radio. My 2009 Mazda6 has this function and I used it quite a bit. Seems lame that this simple feature didn't carry over to the newer models.

2. I don't like that song and artist information gets cut off on the screen when listening to satellite radio. If the artist's name, song name, etc. is over a certain number of characters, it just gets cut off. Pretty weak given how much screen real estate there is. Seems kinda lazy to me from a programming perspective.

For your points above:
1. Unlikely. The "rewind" feature is actually integrated in SXM tuner chip itself. This is how it is in all vehicles with the feature because that's how SiriusXM specs it. The audio data that gets recorded is not stored on the filesystem within the head unit for legal reasons. So unless the feature is in the tuner and just not implemented within the system, this will never come. It's weird the feature was ditched in the newer models though. Anyways, CarPlay-I know for fact, and maybe AA, support the SXM app anyways which to some extent has this feature (but not quite as nice).

2. Yeah I see this too, just a bad HMI design it looks like. I guess we'll have to wait and see if it gets fixed.

On a different note, for me I just called my dealer and they have no info yet on anything regarding the retrofit. Guess I have to call back later. :(

#21 · (Edited)
I don't understand why any 14-15 owners would even want this update/upgrade. Unlike the 16+ owners who can't easily replace their factory displays, the 14-15 models have a standard 2 din opening to which you can just drop in a nice aftermarket unit that supports AA/ACP. Alpine, Sony and Pioneer all offer nicer aftermarket head units with larger displays and better resolution. They even have interfaces available so you can retain your steering wheel controls, so I don't see what the problem is.

#23 ·
-you lose the center knob
-you lose access to settings, such as locks, lights, automatic headlight settings, and a bunch of other settings that can ONLY be changed with the mazda infosystem
-you lose oem stock which is always better to have stock than aftermarket
-lowers the value of your car

the knob and the access to settings alone makes this a big no for me. Would it be nice to have the 2016+ system with apple car play on it? sure, but is always nice to have thousands of dollars that I didn't spend on that model on my bank account

I'll keep my peasant 2 din system as it is until I upgrade to a newer car years from no. You can always buy a phone holder, use spotify, google maps on there, may not be ideal, but is what is.

#26 ·
In addition to Android auto and Apple carplay, all the aftermarket units blow the sound quality of the factory sound system out of the water as well. Also, you'd have to pay a minimum $1k for a factory navigation, so $400 to have google maps running on a larger 7"+ display in addition to being able to control your music apps of choice directly on screen makes it wortwhile. But I am also a DIYer and I'm not so strapped for cash so it's peanuts to me considering the benefits.

#27 ·
He made similar nonsensical comments in my thread where I actually did the very swap you’re talking about. Worrying about beeps and headlight timers that most everyone sets once and never touches again and ignoring every other benefit. It’s fine if you don’t want it but be logical.

Anyhow, I’m interested to see what the pricing of this will be for pre 2018 models. My wife’s 3 could use this upgrade but she wouldn’t pay much for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#30 ·
Say's the guy who owns an iPhone, not exactly a cheap phone. Also you're the one who posted in my thread bitching about you "peons" not having an option to update so I offered a much more cost effective alternative and then you bitch about how it costs thousands. Do you post just to hear yourself talk or do you just like to constantly whine?

#43 ·
Ahem... Back on topic:

I saw this when I was on vacation, and I'm also thrilled to get the 2.1-Amp upgrade. I thought it was kinda dumb that I still needed my 12v USB adapter from my '10 just to get faster charging.

I'll wait until I get the first oil change and maintenance check-up (both free) to get this upgrade done, most likely in later September or early October...

Reactions: Dougspeed
#49 ·
Yes Mazda Connect or MZD Connect has CP and AA.

Installation:
Must install new Firmware FIRST 70.00.xxxx.up

Then remove the old AUX Hub and replace with new Modified AUX Hub.
Remove old single USB Data Cable from old AUX Hub to CMU (under touchscreen).
Install the TWO new Data USB Cables from new AUX Hub unit up to CMU unit.

Then you run it, you will have new CP and AA working.

If they don't install new Firmware first with the old parts it will not work after new parts are fitted.

Anyway, when one of you guys gets your free upgrade can you let us know what the Firmware number is on screen for North America NA N, I think it will be an updated or later version that is currently in use in Europe (they were first).

EU N Firmware is 70.00.021A EU N
ADR is 70.00.021A 4A N

And yes all owners with Mazda Connect can buy the parts for Retrofit Upgrade.
Here are the new Mazda Part Number...
TK78-66-9U0C AUX Hub New...worldwide.
USB Data Cable Set (2 of), I have the EU and ADR Part Numbers but I have been told the USA numbers could be different.

Also factory installation (Japan) starts with 2019 MY for the Mazda 6 and CX-9 and others, but ONLY in top spec models above GT.

Anyway sorry for the boring dribble, can someone let us know what the Firmware version Number is confirmed for USA.

Ash

Attachments

#50 ·
Any info. on how to get to the back of the CMU? it looks like the plastic cover that has the start button can easily pull out but I am not trying it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.