Officially official, Android Auto/Apple Carplay for 2018 Mazda 6 - Page 3 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 298 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't understand why any 14-15 owners would even want this update/upgrade. Unlike the 16+ owners who can't easily replace their factory displays, the 14-15 models have a standard 2 din opening to which you can just drop in a nice aftermarket unit that supports AA/ACP. Alpine, Sony and Pioneer all offer nicer aftermarket head units with larger displays and better resolution. They even have interfaces available so you can retain your steering wheel controls, so I don't see what the problem is.

Last edited by Dougspeed; 08-01-2018 at 02:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 298 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 02:54 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenesejedd View Post
I'm curious if there are any other non Carplay/Android Auto changes that will come with the latest version of Mazda Connect. I have 2 gripes with the current software, both of them having to do with Satellite radio.

1. I don't like that there is no ability to pause and rewind when listening to Satellite Radio. My 2009 Mazda6 has this function and I used it quite a bit. Seems lame that this simple feature didn't carry over to the newer models.

2. I don't like that song and artist information gets cut off on the screen when listening to satellite radio. If the artist's name, song name, etc. is over a certain number of characters, it just gets cut off. Pretty weak given how much screen real estate there is. Seems kinda lazy to me from a programming perspective.

For your points above:
1. Unlikely. The "rewind" feature is actually integrated in SXM tuner chip itself. This is how it is in all vehicles with the feature because that's how SiriusXM specs it. The audio data that gets recorded is not stored on the filesystem within the head unit for legal reasons. So unless the feature is in the tuner and just not implemented within the system, this will never come. It's weird the feature was ditched in the newer models though. Anyways, CarPlay-I know for fact, and maybe AA, support the SXM app anyways which to some extent has this feature (but not quite as nice).

2. Yeah I see this too, just a bad HMI design it looks like. I guess we'll have to wait and see if it gets fixed.

On a different note, for me I just called my dealer and they have no info yet on anything regarding the retrofit. Guess I have to call back later.
post #23 of 298 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 09:35 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Groaned at 43 Times in 36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougspeed View Post
I don't understand why any 14-15 owners would even want this update/upgrade. Unlike the 16+ owners who can't easily replace their factory displays, the 14-15 models have a standard 2 din opening to which you can just drop in a nice aftermarket unit that supports AA/ACP. Alpine, Sony and Pioneer all offer nicer aftermarket head units with larger displays and better resolution. They even have interfaces available so you can retain your steering wheel controls, so I don't see what the problem is.

-you lose the center knob
-you lose access to settings, such as locks, lights, automatic headlight settings, and a bunch of other settings that can ONLY be changed with the mazda infosystem
-you lose oem stock which is always better to have stock than aftermarket
-lowers the value of your car

the knob and the access to settings alone makes this a big no for me. Would it be nice to have the 2016+ system with apple car play on it? sure, but is always nice to have thousands of dollars that I didn't spend on that model on my bank account

I'll keep my peasant 2 din system as it is until I upgrade to a newer car years from no. You can always buy a phone holder, use spotify, google maps on there, may not be ideal, but is what is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 298 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda6Suspension View Post
-you lose the center knob
-you lose access to settings, such as locks, lights, automatic headlight settings, and a bunch of other settings that can ONLY be changed with the mazda infosystem
-you lose oem stock which is always better to have stock than aftermarket
-lowers the value of your car

the knob and the access to settings alone makes this a big no for me. Would it be nice to have the 2016+ system with apple car play on it? sure, but is always nice to have thousands of dollars that I didn't spend on that model on my bank account

I'll keep my peasant 2 din system as it is until I upgrade to a newer car years from no. You can always buy a phone holder, use spotify, google maps on there, may not be ideal, but is what is.
Lol, picky picky. Who cares about the commander knob, it's only really programmed for the stock HU anyway. The larger touchscreen on the aftermarket HU lets you access the functions directly on screen for anything you want to do.
Just set it to what you want it before replacing the factory unit with regards to the locks, auto headlight, etc. I usually set mine and never change it again so it's a nonissue.
And really? Lose OEM stock? What does that even mean? That's your opinion that it's always better stock than aftermarket but I imagine most who have done this mod would disagree with you there.
And really, now you're pulling crap out of your ass, it does NOT lower the value of your car unless you do some total hackjob install. If anything, it will increase value for those who want that smartphone integration but don't want to spend money on a new car.
I'm guessing it's because you wouldn't be doing the install yourself that you think it would cost thousands, when in reality, it's just maybe $400ish total for new HU and related parts. All of which can be easily swapped back to stock once you decide to sell the car. That's if you really believe selling it with the aftermarket HU devalues the car by a significant amount.
post #25 of 298 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Lol, picky picky. Who cares about the commander knob, it's only really programmed for the stock HU anyway. The larger touchscreen on the aftermarket HU lets you access the functions directly on screen for anything you want to do.
Just set it to what you want it before replacing the factory unit with regards to the locks, auto headlight, etc. I usually set mine and never change it again so it's a nonissue.
And really? Lose OEM stock? What does that even mean? That's your opinion that it's always better stock than aftermarket but I imagine most who have done this mod would disagree with you there.
And really, now you're pulling crap out of your ass, it does NOT lower the value of your car unless you do some total hackjob install. If anything, it will increase value for those who want that smartphone integration but don't want to spend money on a new car.
I'm guessing it's because you wouldn't be doing the install yourself that you think it would cost thousands, when in reality, it's just maybe $400ish total for new HU and related parts. All of which can be easily swapped back to stock once you decide to sell the car. That's if you really believe selling it with the aftermarket HU devalues the car by a significant amount.

a good one such sony, which is the only thing I would buy costs $400

I'm not about to spend $400 just to listen to spotify and have access to google maps on there, which are the only 2 things worth having and of use to me with this apple android car play thing
post #26 of 298 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

In addition to Android auto and Apple carplay, all the aftermarket units blow the sound quality of the factory sound system out of the water as well. Also, you'd have to pay a minimum $1k for a factory navigation, so $400 to have google maps running on a larger 7"+ display in addition to being able to control your music apps of choice directly on screen makes it wortwhile. But I am also a DIYer and I'm not so strapped for cash so it's peanuts to me considering the benefits.
post #27 of 298 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 11:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Quote:
In addition to Android auto and Apple carplay, all the aftermarket units blow the sound quality of the factory sound system out of the water as well. Also, you'd have to pay a minimum $1k for a factory navigation, so $400 to have google maps running on a larger 7"+ display in addition to being able to control your music apps of choice directly on screen makes it wortwhile. But I am also a DIYer and I'm not so strapped for cash so it's peanuts to me considering the benefits.

He made similar nonsensical comments in my thread where I actually did the very swap youíre talking about. Worrying about beeps and headlight timers that most everyone sets once and never touches again and ignoring every other benefit. Itís fine if you donít want it but be logical.

Anyhow, Iím interested to see what the pricing of this will be for pre 2018 models. My wifeís 3 could use this upgrade but she wouldnít pay much for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dougspeed likes this.
post #28 of 298 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 07:33 PM

Quote:

I'm not strapped for cash, but that's how you become wealthy, by not spending money of needless things.

Would it be nice? Sure, but I can't justify spending $400 just for google maps and spotify, which I already have on my iphone and I can use them with a phone holder. Everything else those aftermarket unit have, I don't care about. It's not ideal, but for my case, I don't spend that much time in my car to justify this.

Maybe if there was a way to keep the all the steering wheel buttons, settings and center knob.
post #29 of 298 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 07:46 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Garage
Quote:

I will side with Point 2 on this. If you get an aftermarket deck, part of the installation process is disconnecting the battery. That means you lose all your settings for lights/locks etc back to default. Without the OEM HU, you're basically stuck with defaults. Particularly, I don't care for the defaults. I've grown used to using the Commander knob, so I would likely side with Point 1 as well.

Naturally, points 3 and 4 are purely objective and garbage. I have NEVER seen a deduct for aftermarket radio during a trade-in inspection. In fact, having an aftermarket system can be cause for deduction. Especially if there's a lot of add-ons like amps, EQs and custom wiring. As for OEM decks being garbage, yes. They are. But that's why you get an aftermarket amp and speaker package. I have a Kicker/JBL setup with my stock deck and constantly get complimented on the clean sound. For me, I want to have the options to 'tweak' my factory settings. Picky? Sure. But to each, their own.
post #30 of 298 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

Say's the guy who owns an iPhone, not exactly a cheap phone. Also you're the one who posted in my thread bitching about you "peons" not having an option to update so I offered a much more cost effective alternative and then you bitch about how it costs thousands. Do you post just to hear yourself talk or do you just like to constantly whine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page