Officially official, Android Auto/Apple Carplay for 2018 Mazda 6 - Page 29 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #281 of 315 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 06:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is 250$+taxes until february 2019
For 2019 cx3 and 2018 mazda 6.

https://www.mazda.ca/en/inside-mazda...-android-auto/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carguru88 View Post
Hi: Just looked on my dealers website ..it is showing that to up grade to Apple car play & Android Auto the total cost is $442 plus tax!!!! Not to happy about this as I have a 2018 GT so now have to decide if it is worth it!! When a person pays over 40k for a car this is not good IMHO!!!Will call dealer in the morning to ask if a 2018 is this costly as remember (think it was Babs on here) got it for $250+ taxes!!!
Carguru88 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Babs For This Useful Post:
Carguru88 (10-02-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #282 of 315 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRS16GT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by haroldtheb View Post
I have a 6 Signature and stopped by my local dealer today for the AA/CP upgrade. I was told they only have parts for GT and GTR models, and that the signature parts won't be in until next month. What's the difference between the signature and the others? Anyone with a signature get the upgrade yet?
My Signature was updated on Wednesday this week. Took about 1.5 hours. They did a great job. No scratches, rattles, or any other issues that I found. Although, they did leave finger prints on the screen (pet peave of mine).

Two things I love about the CarPlay update. 1- With iOS 12, Google Maps is now an option. Driving with Google Maps in satellite view is awesome! Almost looks like Audi's virtual display now, and you have real time traffic updates. 2- Having access to Siri from the steering wheel button is great. I really missed that from my last Acura. Now you can voice text, and do many other things with Siri much easier while driving.
I have the Signature model and trying to decide if I want to mess with adding Apple CarPlay.
Couple of concerns and questions that I would like input on....

I have the white/parchment Napa leather, and concerned about the installation causing dirt marks, scratches or future dash rattles.

Does my phone have to be plugged in by cable to work CarPlay, or will it link via Bluetooth?

What are the major advantages of adding the feature?

What are the biggest drawbacks it creates when added?

I have gotten used to the Mazda navigation maps and have no issues there. I would like being able to use the Waze app on longer trips. And being able to read text on Mazda screen would be convenient.

I am sure this has been discussed prior at length, but would appreciate any feedback.
post #283 of 315 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 10:49 AM
Learners License

Quote:
Hi: Just looked on my dealers website ..it is showing that to up grade to Apple car play & Android Auto the total cost is $442 plus tax!!!! Not to happy about this as I have a 2018 GT so now have to decide if it is worth it!! When a person pays over 40k for a car this is not good IMHO!!!Will call dealer in the morning to ask if a 2018 is this costly as remember (think it was Babs on here) got it for $250+ taxes!!!
Huh? I thought it was free for 2018 Touring packages and above. At least this article says so.

2018 Mazda6 Signature
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #284 of 315 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 10:51 AM

Yes it is free touring trim and up in us not in canada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutty6 View Post
Quote:
Huh? I thought it was free for 2018 Touring packages and above. At least this article says so.
The Following User Says Thank You to Babs For This Useful Post:
cutty6 (10-02-2018)
post #285 of 315 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 09:43 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Vipre77 Send a message via Yahoo to Vipre77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridasignature View Post
I have the Signature model and trying to decide if I want to mess with adding Apple CarPlay.

I have the white/parchment Napa leather, and concerned about the installation causing dirt marks, scratches or future dash rattles.

Does my phone have to be plugged in by cable to work CarPlay, or will it link via Bluetooth?

I have gotten used to the Mazda navigation maps and have no issues there. I would like being able to use the Waze app on longer trips. And being able to read text on Mazda screen would be convenient.

I am sure this has been discussed prior at length, but would appreciate any feedback.
Marks are always a possible concern when removing trim. That said, I don't think you'd be out of bounds for requesting that kind of thing to be fixed/replaced if it happens. Many of the parts here simply snap together and places where scratches are likely to occur are likely not in visible places. Basically, I wouldn't and didn't worry about this when my upgrade was done. No visible marks left on mine. No rattles either. Hard to say whether or not it might contribute to rattles later on... My 2016 CX-3 had a couple of dash rattles after only a year even before the dealer opened the small compartment on top of the dash to replace the CMU on that car.

This car does not support wireless CarPlay as far as I can tell. If it does, I can't figure out a way to make it work. The CarPlay settings menu on my iPhone says to hold the voice command button to start the wireless setup and it doesn't work on my car. Only works via USB1 connection.

Biggest advantages I can see? Vastly improved device charging speed with the new USB ports. I listen to a lot of podcasts and the podcast app support makes that easier while driving. The versatility to use other navigation apps is nice, too, but I think I still prefer the Mazda factory navigation software, however, Google Maps are generally going to be more up-to-date and it supports live traffic detail where the Mazda system does not. So, there's some give-and-take there... Siri integration is pretty nice. Note that you can still use Siri directly on your phone without CarPlay, but I like it better when integrated into the infotainment system. I might be imagining it, but I feel like I don't have to speak as loudly with CarPlay and I don't have to hold my phone up near my face to ensure it heard me.

Drawbacks? I can't think of any, honestly... You can still use all of the original Mazda system. You're not losing anything with the upgrade. If you don't have the factory navigation system on the trim you got, you gain a visual navigation system. I'm not sure if the Touring trim came with the factory nav, but it sounds like you don't have that trim level anyway. I guess if I had to nitpick anything about it, I have had a couple instances where I wanted to back out of the CarPlay system and go back into the Mazda system and I hit the wrong button and it brought me right back into CarPlay again and I had to go through all the scrolling and clicking to get back out of CarPlay again. Maybe there's some shortcuts I'm not aware of yet... I didn't get any kind of user manual for the system when they upgraded me. Some others here said they did.

You can read your texts on the screen now without CarPlay. When the car is moving, the car will hide the text, but will read your message to you out loud, but it will be visible again when you stop. A lot of people are unaware of how to make the text messaging work in their car because Mazda doesn't do a great job of explaining the process and Apple hides the required option to enable it in their bluetooth setup. In case you haven't found it, go to your Settings menu on your iPhone, then go to Bluetooth. Find "Mazda" under the My Devices section and click the blue i-ball along the right side. There is an option for "Show Notifications" that is disabled by default. You need to turn this on for text message notifications to show up in the Mazda infotainment display under the Communications menu. You can even respond to those texts using your voice only if you've setup "Hey Siri" on your phone. If you haven't setup the "Hey Siri" functionality, you can start Siri instead by holding the home button on your phone for a second. Just say, "Hey Siri. Reply to text message from [insert name]." You could also say "send" instead of "reply to" there. Siri will ask you what you want to say and then confirm what it heard after you're done speaking and will ask if you want to send it. All hands free. Again, no CarPlay required.

On an unrelated note to your post, I just want to say it is pretty annoying that we cannot change the name of the device "Mazda" that gets paired with your phone via Bluetooth. I have two Mazdas, my 2018 Mazda6 and my wife's 2016 CX-5, and they both show up as "Mazda" under our Bluetooth devices on our phones. Periodically, something happens where the pairing gets screwed up and they won't connect. I'm not sure if it's iPhone updates that breaks the pairing or what the deal is, exactly, but it happens every few months it seems. It's impossible to tell which "Mazda" connection goes with which car.
Inevitably we guess wrong when deleting one of the "Mazdas" in our Bluetooth menus, so we end up deleting them both and then have to re-pair both phones to both cars. This could be avoided by simply allowing us to rename the "Mazda" bluetooth devices. First world problems, I know.

His: 2018 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, Machine Grey
Hers: 2016 CX-5 Sport FWD, Reflex Blue

Last edited by Vipre77; 10-02-2018 at 09:48 PM.
post #286 of 315 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 10:02 PM

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 12 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipre77 View Post
On an unrelated note to your post, I just want to say it is pretty annoying that we cannot change the name of the device "Mazda" that gets paired with your phone via Bluetooth. I have two Mazdas, my 2018 Mazda6 and my wife's 2016 CX-5, and they both show up as "Mazda" under our Bluetooth devices on our phones. Periodically, something happens where the pairing gets screwed up and they won't connect. I'm not sure if it's iPhone updates that breaks the pairing or what the deal is, exactly, but it happens every few months it seems. It's impossible to tell which "Mazda" connection goes with which car.
Inevitably we guess wrong when deleting one of the "Mazdas" in our Bluetooth menus, so we end up deleting them both and then have to re-pair both phones to both cars. This could be avoided by simply allowing us to rename the "Mazda" bluetooth devices. First world problems, I know.
Fyi, I believe renaming is on the phone end. At least I'm able to rename on my Android.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

2018 Machine Gray Mazda6 Signature
2010 Mazda CX-9 GT Dolphin w/Nav
post #287 of 315 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Vipre77 Send a message via Yahoo to Vipre77
Yeah, I know the renaming needs to be done on the phone end. iPhone apparently doesn’t let you rename the car connection. I can change the name of my iPhone, but not the name of the car. I can rename some other Bluetooth devices connected to my phone, but not the car. The car’s firmware must have different permissions for Android vs iOS allows for Bluetooth connections.

His: 2018 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, Machine Grey
Hers: 2016 CX-5 Sport FWD, Reflex Blue
post #288 of 315 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 09:11 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Groans: 6
Groaned at 10 Times in 10 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridasignature View Post

To my knowledge, or at least from reading here and my own experience I don't think anyone has any rattles or scratches caused by the dealer. The worst dirt issue seems to be slight hand print that wipes right off. I would be surprised if any future rattles appear that would be a result from the install. Most dealers have some sort of plastic they can/do lay over the seat for protection.

For full access you need to plug in. There are still some features that do work via Bluetooth.

Convenience. Flexibility, more options. Having your texts read to you and sent without your eyes leaving the road. (something I wish everyone had) Virtually everything can be controlled with your voice or at worst, need to touch the screen.

Can't think of any drawbacks. If you don't want to use it, just don't use it and use the info center the way you use it now.

Although I doubt you're planning on selling the car anytime soon but if/when you do it does add value to the car. Whoever buys it will want to know if it has AA/CP. Even the folks you might be trading it to. Now that it's available to earlier years have you noticed how many are interested? Ready to drop ($400?) good money to have it.

After you've had it for awhile I'd be willing to bet you'll be glad you did.

2018 Signature - White Pearl - Chestnut
Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by idrive; 10-03-2018 at 09:14 PM.
post #289 of 315 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 05:44 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Phone Dock for Android Auto/CarPlay Upgrade

Here's what I did for a phone dock with AA:

https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/maz...upgrade-40713/

2018 Mazda6 Signature - Snowflake White Pearl / Dark Chestnut Nappa Leather
post #290 of 315 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 04:54 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I finally got Apple Car play done today on my Mazda 6 GTR. Really impressed with it and the ease to go back and forth between the Mazda screen and Apple screen. I don't have IOS 12 on my phone so didn't get to play around with Google Maps or WAZE, but I like how you can go back and forth easily and if use the native Mazada NAV, you can have the driving directions on your HUD and have the screen on Car Play. The charging through the USB is much faster as everyone stated. I was at the dealer for just under 3 hours, but was doing my first 5K maintenance as well.

The only negative and this has nothing to do with Car Play is that my seat memory was wiped out, I assume replacing the USB hub thing had something to do with that? Did everyone else have this problem? It takes a me a while to get a seat to how I like it and that little bit difference makes my back hurt. Still working to get it back to how I had it, but obviously that is not a good reason not to do the upgrade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page