'18 Mazda6 Signature - Gracenote removal - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
'18 Mazda6 Signature - Gracenote removal

Howdy!

I have tried the stalled update trick to get rid of Gracenote on my 2018 Mazda6 Signature, with no luck. I can't even get the update to start as the version on the usb is the same as what is installed on my system.

I can't stand the generic album covers that are overriding my real Apple Music album covers!

I am thinking there was a change to the update process as it seems others were able to start the update process even though the version on the usb is the same as the version on the Mazda Connect System.

Does anyone have any tips?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 03:47 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
I know this thread is a little old but I also see no one answered you so I will try.
The Gracenote implementation in this system is definitely pretty bad. But there are reasons I see why it's there. So to answer your question here's a few points:

• Album artwork seems not supported over Bluetooth. Any album artwork displayed over bluetooth audio is Gracenote artwork.
  • Album artwork is supported over USB connections. However it doesn't always work with some devices, and this is a bug. Gracenote should not be displaying artwork over the image in the sent ID3 tag (or however Apple is sending it). I tested out Apple Music over USB like you mentioned, and the first couple songs seemed to have proper artwork, but afterwards the generic Gracenote images show up again. It's also not impossible it's an Apple issue, but more likely a album artwork handling issue.
  • Gracenote cannot be deleted. It's there likely for the fact album artwork isn't supported over bluetooth audio, and as a failsafe for if the artwork via USB isn't shown. It's a poor failsafe and I often see images that aren't correct, but it's one nonetheless. I wouldn't go about trying to delete it either, as it's an expected library that the system is looking for and if it's not there/is corrupted, it could cause unexpected issues elsewhere.

I'm sure as you know any fix for this will be in the form of a SW update. I'm sure maintenance is still being done since CarPlay is expected later this year yet, but until then there isn't much we can do.
The Following User Says Thank You to MZ6Alex For This Useful Post:
idrive (06-28-2018)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 06:04 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Groans: 6
Groaned at 10 Times in 10 Posts
Garage
I like this guy. ^^ Great asset to the community., already.
Welcome aboard.

2018 Signature - White Pearl - Chestnut
Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 12:45 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MZ6Alex View Post
I know this thread is a little old but I also see no one answered you so I will try.
The Gracenote implementation in this system is definitely pretty bad. But there are reasons I see why it's there. So to answer your question here's a few points:

• Album artwork seems not supported over Bluetooth. Any album artwork displayed over bluetooth audio is Gracenote artwork.
  • Album artwork is supported over USB connections. However it doesn't always work with some devices, and this is a bug. Gracenote should not be displaying artwork over the image in the sent ID3 tag (or however Apple is sending it). I tested out Apple Music over USB like you mentioned, and the first couple songs seemed to have proper artwork, but afterwards the generic Gracenote images show up again. It's also not impossible it's an Apple issue, but more likely a album artwork handling issue.
  • Gracenote cannot be deleted. It's there likely for the fact album artwork isn't supported over bluetooth audio, and as a failsafe for if the artwork via USB isn't shown. It's a poor failsafe and I often see images that aren't correct, but it's one nonetheless. I wouldn't go about trying to delete it either, as it's an expected library that the system is looking for and if it's not there/is corrupted, it could cause unexpected issues elsewhere.

I'm sure as you know any fix for this will be in the form of a SW update. I'm sure maintenance is still being done since CarPlay is expected later this year yet, but until then there isn't much we can do.
I do get a good chuckle at the generic genre album covers that aren't even close the actual music. The "Classical" music genre with the geeky looking guy playing the violin while some hard rock/heavy metal is playing. Or the picture of Ice Cube standing there in what looks like a photo in his mom's house for a family picture and he singing about some crazy shit. Gracenote can be comic relief too sometimes...

2018 Mazda6 Signature
- Soul Red/Parchment
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 03:28 PM
Learners License

Garage
Yeah who knows what Mazda was thinking when they choose to add that feature. Frankly I think those artist pictures are a bit cheesy as a standard generic album art image would have looked cleaner and more professional. Or maybe Mazda wanted the comedy! But I've mostly switched over to CarPlay anyways so I don't even see this much anymore. The one thing I never understood though is how the genre art images end up being so incorrect sometimes. Even songs download from iTunes where the ID3 tags should have the correct genre have the wrong picture shown (over btas of course). I guess I'll have to experiment sometime to see how Gracenote is figuring that out.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 04:32 PM

Garage
I want to use AndroidAuto...I really do. But the screen is so white during the day when using Spotify or GoogleMaps. Wish it had a setting to make it black all the time. No experience with CarPlay, but I'm guessing it's a little more polished than AndroidAuto.

As sad as it is for me to say, I prefer the stock interface over AndroidAuto - obviously the exception being able to use GoogleMaps for nav; but that happens maybe once a month.

2018 Mazda6 Signature
- Soul Red/Parchment
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 11:30 AM
Learners License

Garage
I agree completely. I loaded AA up the other day just to test it out and was also disappointed. Honestly was expecting it to actually be better than CarPlay since Android is more open than iOS, but this is not the case. Besides the colors, I didn't like the control scheme either as it's just awkward to use. Touch really should not have been omitted either. Why Google decided to omit touch functionality for Mazda from a UI that's designed around it makes no sense to me. Both Carplay and the default Mazda HMI have pretty decent high-contrast interfaces. CarPlay is much more refined than AA but I think this is because of Apple's strict interface design policy.
post #8 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 09:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MZ6Alex View Post
I agree completely. I loaded AA up the other day just to test it out and was also disappointed. Honestly was expecting it to actually be better than CarPlay since Android is more open than iOS, but this is not the case. Besides the colors, I didn't like the control scheme either as it's just awkward to use. Touch really should not have been omitted either. Why Google decided to omit touch functionality for Mazda from a UI that's designed around it makes no sense to me. Both Carplay and the default Mazda HMI have pretty decent high-contrast interfaces. CarPlay is much more refined than AA but I think this is because of Apple's strict interface design policy.
Glad I'm not the only person to think that. All this rant and raving about this and past flaming on Mazda because they're a late adopter, but the interface is just clunky for what it is.

I enjoy having the option of it, but I just don't see myself using it frequently. Anyhow, to each their own.

2018 Mazda6 Signature
- Soul Red/Parchment
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page