Mazda 6 Forums banner

GROMM install with L716 jumper and dash mount...

15K views 27 replies 5 participants last post by  waughoo 
#1 · (Edited)
So, here in Washington (Seattle specificly), they are enacting a strong law to curb distracted driving. The law will allow cops to pull you over for holding your phone at anytime even when at a stop light. It will also come with a steep fine and insurance/driving record consequences. Despite being a regular offender, I feel it is a good idea. The cell phone has been proven to be worse than being intoxicated. It starts here in early July so now it is time to make a change so I don't get busted!

I had/have a plan to integrate a nexus 7 into a nav hood (have the nav hood from England that fits my 2004 radio with a working led screen as well as a nexus 7... now I just need more time). The plan was to just make that run android auto (bought the app) and leave the phone in the center consol. Well, I ran out of time, so I had to do the dash mount solution with Bluetooth integration as the cops won't wait for me to get a "round tuit".

I looked at parrot devices but they are a complete amplifier that uses your stock wiring to reach the speakers. Thus the head unit becomes window dressing completely. It has the advantage to always answer the phone no matter what, but I decided it was not the right solution for me.

The GROMM units were a very attractive solution but with my 04 there was the issue of the L716 jumper. I decided that the options offered by the GROMM unit (steering wheel control integration, USB and aux in options) out weighed its detractions (having to be in the right source to answer the phone).

Now I also didn't want my phone flopping around or falling off when sitting on a mount so the next challenge was to find a solid mount and holder. I went with a panavise mount and a Pro clip holder. The Pro clip holder is adjustable and bespoke for the s7 edge with a cover. You adjust it once and lock down the ears and it's set from there. It's on a ball mount so you can adjust it's orientation to suit your needs. You can even rotate it for landscape viewing!

Here's the pile of gear to install all laid out:

Here is the car in it's before state:

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I removed the stereo and plugged in the GROMM unit and tried it to see if I won the L716 jumper lottery... I did not. So, out came the whole radio and the process of disassembly so I could get to the PCB.

GROMM unit plugged in but no CD changer controls...

It took quite a few screws to get down to the board, but not that bad. If you already had an aux mod, you would need to take it out to get to the board. I had one but didn't ever get it installed.

Once open, I found the location. MAN, shit is damn small in here!

I bought a bread board jumper kit that had a lot of small jumpers inside and found a perfect fit. Now holding it while soldering it down was tricky. I should have got out my soldering 3rd hand jig but I was a bit too excited and forgot about it till I was done.

The jumper in my hand for scale reference:

Jumper installed close up:

Jumper installed wider angle:

I then went back out to the car and tested it out. Shazam! I now have Bluetooth hands free (with wireless aux in too), usb in, and old school aux in with charging port. I dig it. I also didn't want wires dangling about the car so I found a flat wire right angle USB plug that will fit in the seam of the dash. It's a very slick solution.

I only have it plugged in for proof of concept right now. I still need to route wires and install the Mic up in the headliner area by the mirror, but I am pretty excited with the results.

While I was at it, I installed the AUX MOD that I bought shortly after I got the car. Not a whole lot of need for it now that I have the GROMM but at least my tape button will do something now!

Attachments

#3 · (Edited)
Here are a few photos of the mount and cell phone bracket and the right angle usb plug. There are also a couple of the phone in the mount.

- stereo back in and mount and holder installed. Note the flat usb wire with right angle plug. Wire showing behind is coming out from glove box hole and will be gone in final install.

- back side... here you can see the flat USB going into the panel seam and the acorn nuts holding fumble mount to panavise. I plan to source black acorns at a later date.

- front view of mount close up

- Here's a couple of what it looks like with phone running Android auto in situ.

Attachments

#4 · (Edited)
Today I finished up the install of the GROMM. The wire for the Mic was reasonably tricky mostly due to nerves working around the air bag parts. It was less of a concern than I made it out to be in my head.

First step was to remove the drivers side A pillar. I first removed the weather stripping and then pulled out on the trim near the top. It popped out nice and simple, but then I had to slide it upwards to remove the clip from the trim. A slow and steady hand is required here.

Close up of pop out clip:

Close up of back side of A-Pillar trim showing clip locations:

Next I removed the overhead console. It has two torx screws in the glasses spot and two metal spring clips at the other end. That was super tricky as you have to slide a pry bar of sorts into the edge and catch the spring clip to release it. Once released, it pretty much falls out.

I then ran the Mic through the over head and down the A pillar and into the dash. It's surprisingly roomy under there and I was able to pass the wire through and then reach up and grab it from the drivers foot well. I then passed that over to the glove box area and taped it in a few spots to avoid wire rattles. I taped the the Mic wire to the other wire running up the A pillar so that it would stay clear of the air bag.

I then mounted the Bluetooth module with servo tape to the air bag box directly behind the cell phone bracket. Thus I should always have great signal.

Bluetooth dongle location - this is nearly DIRECTLY behind the phone mount for excellent signal strength

Current Mic location. I plan to find a more OEM solution but this works for now. Only down side is the Mic is visible in the rear view.

Attachments

#5 · (Edited)
The GROMM box got mounted nearly under the arm rest. I wrapped it with a bit of foam so it would not rattle against the interior trim. I didn't have a final install location for the USB and AUX cables, so I decided to just route them into the center arm rest storage box and leave them coiled up there. I may some day get tricky and hard mount them, but this should work pretty well for the most part.

Foam wrapped box

Wires routed into storage box

I also found a solution to have my nifty flat wire usb powered up for charging with my fast charger mounted in the center consol. I bought a male to female USB cord and routed it back through the hole in the bottom and plugged it in to my flat wire cord behind the dash. Super elegant! I hate wires strewn about the cabin.

Attachments

#6 · (Edited)
The last step was to configure android auto a bit to automatically start and stop when connecting to the GROMM auto Bluetooth source. This was simple enough and adds another layer of OEM experience. I'm a VERY satisfied customer so far. It really integrates nicely into the factory stereo and uses the buttons on the wheel to good effect. If you still drive a GEN 1 and want to upgrade it to current user experience, this should do the trick!

Attachments

#7 ·
Somehow I missed the absolutely epic DIY write-up when it was originally posted by @waughoo . There are so many great photos in here. I was about to dump the GROM I installed for my wife in her old Accord but now it is likely possible to expand and enhance the old dogs capabilities. Alex, your'e the man! Your installs are always so clean and easily rival OEM..

#8 ·
Thanks man. I was always a bit surprised no one chimed in when I wrote this up. Glad you see some value in it. BTW, I still have my complete radio with the mod for the gromm set aside with your name on it @DrFeelGood . We just need to find a time to meet up ?

#12 ·
That would work pretty well and likely make it less visible. I have a cx9 factory mic that I plan to cut in to the headliner in the same spot the speed6 puts their mic for the nav system. I just haven't gotten it installed yet. Mostly because this one works so well and I've become a bit bli d to it hanging out of the map light.

#10 ·
To be honest @waughoo I saw it and seriously considered doing it but I decided against it. I decided on an aftermarket HU with Bluetooth for a better equalizer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#13 ·
It's probably about the same or just a bit more to do the factory mod rather than the aftermarket headunit. I am not an audiophile really and decided the OEM look was more valuable than a stereo with more options. Additionally, now that I've swapped to the speed6 interior, keeping the bluetooth and adapting it to that stereo was just a simple plug and play.

Where did you put your mic @bluedevil6 ?

#15 ·
It hardly seems fair or reasonable that the two ‘wagonistas’ I interact the most with are way over there on the wrong side of the continent...

#16 ·
@waughoo I put it here used the clip to attach it to the bezel around the instrument cluster

#19 ·
@waughoo I put it here used the clip to attach it to the bezel around the instrument cluster

This is great!. That is where I put my phone (on its side) so the mic wouldn't work quite as well but if (when) I install the Panavise holder that @waughoo showed, that install may save me a bit of wiring.
I have no real data solution right now and am feeling pretty old school. while having the screen below the cluster is pretty nice it is a real bear (unsafe?) to have to interface with. Not navi-esque at all.

#27 · (Edited)
I finally got around to putting my GROM USB2 kit into the Mazda. I ordered the MAZU3 cable years ago when I pulled the G unit out of the Accord.
I took all the steps to solder L716, which include pulling the HU apart, and I saw that the genius that "fixed" my check engine light also went to work on the radio.
Computer hardware Electronic engineering Motherboard Electronic component Circuit component

Check engine light
Electronics Electronic component Electronic engineering Passive circuit component Technology

It took a bit to figure it out but, after updating the Firmware and entering debugging session with the Andriod, it works.
Now to complete the phone mount and wiring solutions.

Thanks again for the DIY

#28 ·
Wow... that is quite a solder job they did in there. So now you have the ability to "line in" on the 04 non BOSE? Very cool. Give us a photo of your mount etc when you get it set up @DrFeelGood .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.