2016 Audio Equipment Locations - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
2016 Audio Equipment Locations

Hello,

I have freshly installed a whole sound system into my 2016 Mazda 6 without the Bose sound system but was wondering a few things just for general knowledge and I am trying to solve a few issues with my sound system.

Where is the actual headunit? Is it directly behind the 'tablet' screen in the dash? If so, what is the small device in the front passenger kick that can be easily accessed by removing the glovebox and looking to the right?

I used the PAC AOEM MAZ2 to get line level off of the speaker wires in the passenger kick panel. Could I access the speaker wires between the actual headunit and whatever is in the passenger kick panel? I didn't see where the input to the device is so it might be behind it or on its side.

The main reason I ask is because I have noise (hissing) coming from all 4 of my tweeters and depending on what the unit is in the kick panel, I want to troubleshoot to see if that is the source of the noise or not.

Thanks for any and all help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 08:19 PM
Track Racer

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosh View Post
Where is the actual headunit? Is it directly behind the 'tablet' screen in the dash?
Yeah, AFAIK the screen and the HU are a single integrated unit. I haven't worked up the courage yet to disassemble the dash because a year into ownership the car still looks great and I'd like to not tear it up. That, and there are no replacement HUs available for the 2016 yet.

This is a similar (but won't fit on our '16s) after-market form factor:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/9-Qu...08.4.34.f2tYEL

Quote:
If so, what is the small device in the front passenger kick that can be easily accessed by removing the glovebox and looking to the right?
It's the bluetooth module.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I'm not too worried about replacing the headunit yet. I don't think much about being able to do cool stuff on my headunit in a vehicle. But thanks for the info on it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhornsby View Post
It's the bluetooth module.
Why do the speaker wires go from the headunit, through the bluetooth module, then out to their respective speakers?

Like I said earlier, I am looking to try and get rid of some hissing coming out of my new speakers and thought maybe I will need to go further up stream to fix the issue. So I might try and grab the speaker signal from before the bluetooth module to make sure it is not introducing the hissing noise.

Last edited by Bosh; 09-07-2016 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Messed up quoting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Does anyone else know if the module in the passenger kick panel is a bluetooth module?

I have found that the noise in my new sound system is coming from somewhere between whatever the module/board in the passenger's kick panel is and the actual head unit behind the touch screen.

My idea is to tap into the speaker wires going INTO the module in the passenger's kick panel and see if I get noise from there as well. If I don't get noise, then I know the module is introducing it. If I still get noise, then it is probably my head unit which sucks because I won't be replacing that for a very long time if ever. Before I do that test, I want to be 100% sure of what that module is.

Thanks to anyone that can give some knowledge on this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bosh For This Useful Post:
andythilo (12-11-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page