post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
head unit swap ???

Hi new to the forum and had a look around the forum and could not find an answer??

so I have a 2003 mazda 6 with bose head unit 6 cd changer with tape/md.

Would it be possible to swap out 2006 - 2008 head unit with media button?

If so which one?

Would all wiring loom/plugs be the same?

And would 2006 air conditioning and head unit surrounding fit straight in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 06:27 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yes you can, you actually need a BOSE 2006-2008 head unit and will need a 2006-2008 info display, don't know if the a/c controls are required but I got them anyway since they flow better with the design, everything plugs in, but you need to splice into a few wires for the info display. I just got an extension harness to avoid damaging to the original harness. Anything else you need just ask.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 02:12 AM
Learners License

Garage
You said you just got an extension harness... Where did you buy that part from..? I have a 2005 Mazda 6 V6 with non Bose system.. Single CD player.. Want to upgrade to a non Bose 6cd changer from a 2006 Mazda 6.. Tested it out already and all works except the display unit.. Cuz there is no plug for it in the stereo back.. Any help here would be awesome... Please..!! Thx peeps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 10:21 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Groans: 66
Groaned at 24 Times in 20 Posts
Send a message via AIM to MonoxideChild
Theres a few threads covering the swap over on the other forum. 6crew.com.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 10:32 PM
Learners License

Garage
2005 Mazda 6 radio swap

Hi ... So here's what I did.... When I grabbed the 2006 radio out of the car at the wreckers I also grabbed the harness that was plugged into it... If you do you will notice that the harness for the display is already wired into the radio poem plug. Just cut it as far back into the dash as possible... Once done all you need to do is grab Mazda after market harness(5) from eBay or me I grabbed mine from visions electronics here where I live . Followed this write up at niksideas.blogspot.ca to add the proper pins to create the proper Oem harness to plug right into the 2005 plug which then plugs right into the 2006 stereo and into the 2006 display that you need to along with radio.... Thanks for the help and guidence and big thanks to nikideas.blogspot.ca for the detailed write up... If anyone needs help don't hesitate to msg..!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 07:45 PM
Learners License

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMazda6V6 View Post
Hi ... So here's what I did.... When I grabbed the 2006 radio out of the car at the wreckers I also grabbed the harness that was plugged into it... If you do you will notice that the harness for the display is already wired into the radio poem plug. Just cut it as far back into the dash as possible... Once done all you need to do is grab Mazda after market harness(5) from eBay or me I grabbed mine from visions electronics here where I live . Followed this write up at niksideas.blogspot.ca to add the proper pins to create the proper Oem harness to plug right into the 2005 plug which then plugs right into the 2006 stereo and into the 2006 display that you need to along with radio.... Thanks for the help and guidence and big thanks to nikideas.blogspot.ca for the detailed write up... If anyone needs help don't hesitate to msg..!
hey I followed all the instructions on niksideas.blogspot.ca but only the clock is showing up on the display any suggestions?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 08:15 PM
Track Racer

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommibaker View Post
hey I followed all the instructions on niksideas.blogspot.ca but only the clock is showing up on the display any suggestions?
Re-check your pin-outs and continuity.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 6s Wagon 3.0, 5-speed ATX, Performance White (A2N)
Modifications:

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 01:25 PM

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Garage
That means you're not getting the can bus signal up to the display. That signal comes from the radio itself. I'd check your pin outs as drfeelgood says and try again. If you have any pictures of your work, it might help us figure out the issue.

Alex
2004 6s Wagon MTX - grocery hauler
---}
{---

MODS: Tinted windows, RX8s with 225/45 R18s,
, and
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 10:04 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Did you get a radio from a car with the same HVAC controls as yours? Knobs for Knobs, auto climate for auto climate, or it won't work.

2004 Mazda 6 V6/MTX, Steel Gray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page