Galaxy Tab Pro Mounted and Wired! - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Galaxy Tab Pro Mounted and Wired!

I recently completed a project I had on my to do list for the past year or two: To make a "car PC" with a high-end Android tablet using the storage compartment above the sterero.

I had a couple of specific goals with this project besides the obvious. 1) I wanted to be able to easily remove my tablet and take it with me for use outside my car. and 2) I wanted to be able to easily dismount the tablet and store it and the other pieces in the storage compartment with the lid closed so it could be out of sight.

The Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 is now slightly more affordable than it was when it was the newest Samsung tablet. I got mine for through Ebay. The size seems to be perfect for this application.

I purchased the circuit board/adapter for the MD/TAPE port on the OEM stereo a while back to gain a 3.5mm audio input. I had a local audio company create a Y-cable that would allow me two different input locations in the car. One end of the cable goes to the tape slot between the large knobs on the stereo and I use it for my phone. The other end of the cable runs into the storage compartment where the tablet goes.

I cut a piece of wood that wedges nicely into the compartment and presses firmly enough to keep the lid sturdy. I placed velcro on the back of the wood and placed velcro on the audio wire and the charging cable to stick to the back of the wood.

I plug the wires into the tablet first, then pull them snugly behind the wood and press the velcro together. The pressure of the velcro holds the tablet against the top of the storage compartment lid. It is actually nice and firm without much movement.

Having the tablet mounted this way instead of inside the compartment (where the wood is) makes the tablet much easier to reach while driving and the display of the tablet is in full view with no obstructions.

I made the wallpaper you see and made the icons for the apps I use most often. It's quite a blast having Sportscenter running on the ride home with the audio coming through the stereo. The "Ok Google" feature works beautifully even when the tablet's screen is off. I use my phone as a hotspot for the tablet so that I can voice command driving instructions to the tablet hands-free. Works great to play music this way hands-free too or search a YouTube video. Amazon Prime becoming available for Android recently was the icing on the cake!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6-woodvelcro.jpg
Views:	981
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	130345   Click image for larger version

Name:	6-woodmounted.jpg
Views:	1266
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	130353   Click image for larger version

Name:	6-tablet.jpg
Views:	4113
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	130361   Click image for larger version

Name:	6-tablet2.jpg
Views:	1995
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	130369  

Last edited by spearoid; 09-29-2014 at 02:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 07:18 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Great job! Looks nice.

2015 Mazda6 GT in Blue Reflex Mica
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Thanks! It has definitely added a bunch of conveniences.

Next I'm going to look into a Bluetooth device that will simulate screen taps so that my kids could play games from the back! Certain games like Ski Safari, Badlands, and Dragon Fly! are played just by tapping and holding the screen (anywhere) at specific times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 11:46 PM
Learners License

so the wood with velcro keeps the tab in place ?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

The wood serves to hold the lid up firmly and the velcro on the back of the wood holds the power and audio wires (which have velcro wrapped around the wires). The tension you set by pressing the wires against the velcro behind the wood is what pulls the tablet against the front face of the lid to the compartment. I try not to make it too tight as to not put too much pressure on the ports of my tablet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page