Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum

Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum (http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php)
-   Canada (http://forum.mazda6club.com/forumdisplay.php?f=183)
-   -   disable DRL? (http://forum.mazda6club.com/showthread.php?t=171002)

WHITEonBLACK 07-18-2006 11:51 PM

Hello, just got mazda6 couple days ago, will put on HID soon, but i need to disable DRL first, i did some search, they seems rather complicated, i used to drive a focus and disable DRL is just taking a electrical part out from the fuse box, anyone knows an easier way on mazda6? much appreciated

zoomzoomfan 07-19-2006 12:27 AM

I've done a few DRL disablements on people's 6s. Its not that hard, but its quite a PITA to work upside down under the dash.

Here's what involved:

1. Under the dash, there's a blue box.
2. You need to find one of the wires coming out of that box (the exact colour of the wire escapes me at the moment, but there's a write up on the forum, I believe by Guinea Pig) and cut it.
3. Attach a piece of ground wire to the end of the wire that's still attached to the blue box, and ground it to a nearby screw or bolt under the dash.

That's about it.

You'll spend most of the time wresting with the wire, trying to get it cut, stripped, and getting the ground wire attached. All this while working upside down under the dash, where there is no light and where there is only enough space for one hand (we humans tend to have two and generally work better when using both hands together)

Hope this helps.

PS! It seems like you may already have read that write-up, in which case the answer to your question is: yes, there's no other way.

CLaman 07-22-2006 12:36 AM

If we buy a set of HIDs with lifetime warranty...why do we need to disable DRL's....its covered by warranty anyways is it not?

just asking because i didn't want to start a new thread

zoomzoomfan 07-22-2006 01:13 AM

Quote:

If we buy a set of HIDs with lifetime warranty...why do we need to disable DRL's....its covered by warranty anyways is it not?

just asking because i didn't want to start a new thread
[/b]
Good point... but your kit won't last longer than a few days (or even hours) with the DRL circuit intact. I'm sure you'd want to get at least a few months of use out of the kit before your ballasts go kaboom.

The rapid on/off pulsation of the lowbeam circuit that's needed to create the low-output DRL really does one heck of a number on the ballasts. Ballasts (especially aftermarket kit ballasts that have inferior electronics compared to OEM ballasts) are only intended to be turned on and off once within at least 2 or 3 minutes.

Goldfinger 07-22-2006 01:19 PM

Quote:

Good point... but your kit won't last longer than a few days (or even hours) with the DRL circuit intact. I'm sure you'd want to get at least a few months of use out of the kit before your ballasts go kaboom.

The rapid on/off pulsation of the lowbeam circuit that's needed to create the low-output DRL really does one heck of a number on the ballasts. Ballasts (especially aftermarket kit ballasts that have inferior electronics compared to OEM ballasts) are only intended to be turned on and off once within at least 2 or 3 minutes.
[/b]
So is it better to always have the 'full package' on even when you don't have HIDs, including during the day?

WHITEonBLACK 07-24-2006 05:18 PM

Quote:

I've done a few DRL disablements on people's 6s. Its not that hard, but its quite a PITA to work upside down under the dash.

Here's what involved:

1. Under the dash, there's a blue box.
2. You need to find one of the wires coming out of that box (the exact colour of the wire escapes me at the moment, but there's a write up on the forum, I believe by Guinea Pig) and cut it.
3. Attach a piece of ground wire to the end of the wire that's still attached to the blue box, and ground it to a nearby screw or bolt under the dash.

That's about it.

You'll spend most of the time wresting with the wire, trying to get it cut, stripped, and getting the ground wire attached. All this while working upside down under the dash, where there is no light and where there is only enough space for one hand (we humans tend to have two and generally work better when using both hands together)

Hope this helps.

PS! It seems like you may already have read that write-up, in which case the answer to your question is: yes, there's no other way.
[/b]
done!, just that brown wire needs to be cut, but dam~, that wasn't fun when down there under the dash =.=...but thx a million tho

zoomzoomfan 07-24-2006 06:28 PM

Quote:

done!, just that brown wire needs to be cut, but dam~, that wasn't fun when down there under the dash =.=...but thx a million tho
[/b]
To be help of I am glad.

Quote:

So is it better to always have the 'full package' on even when you don't have HIDs, including during the day?
[/b]
Well, if you don't have HIDs then don't worry about it. A standard H1 bulb isn't sensitive to the pulsations, not like the fancy electronics inside a ballasts. Also, an H1 bulb is a few dollars in cost compared to several hundred dollars in the case of a ballast.

So, the advice only applies to those who've got HIDs.

channt 07-24-2006 11:40 PM

forget that... just do what i did:

link the HID ground directly to the battery. In this way you will have your HID always on when you start the car or when you turn on the lights. Also you'd be in compliance with canadian laws regarding DRL.

There will always be enough current to the ballast, therefore will extend your ballast lifetime more.

WHITEonBLACK 07-25-2006 01:33 PM

Quote:

To be help of I am glad.
Well, if you don't have HIDs then don't worry about it. A standard H1 bulb isn't sensitive to the pulsations, not like the fancy electronics inside a ballasts. Also, an H1 bulb is a few dollars in cost compared to several hundred dollars in the case of a ballast.

So, the advice only applies to those who've got HIDs.
[/b]
my hid is here, but when i do the installation, do i actually need to take off the bumpers etc or i can do it straight after the hood is open? seems like the space is pretty tight at the back of the headlighs

zoomzoomfan 07-26-2006 05:58 PM

Unless you've got tiny hands, there's no way you'll be able to succesfully perform the install with the bumper in place and the headlights installed. You'll need to remove the bumper and the headlights. Its really not that hard. Takes about 15 minutes tops till the headlights are out.