Mazda 6 Forums banner

Bought my M6 - I4 Auto...

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  chindo 
#1 ·
Bought my M6 last night.... Finally made the deal and hopefully will have the car next week. Dark Grey Colour. GS-I4 SP Auto :D

The dealter offered bunch of protections which I declined, but wanted to know if they are worth it or not...

1) Final Coat Corrosion Module 2000 - approx $600
2) Final Coat Sealant with Acid Rain Protector (bought this one... supposed to last 3 years) ($199)
3) Fabric Protector ($200)

All combined are close to $900 (I think). The questions I have are:
1) Are any of all of them worth it in terms of protection they offer and in terms of price?
2) If they are worth for protection and not price.... then do some shops outside go it for cheaper price. Would appreciate shop names in Toronto or Kitchener-Waterloo area.

Thanks.

#4 ·
Reading Topic: Bought my M6 - I4 Auto...

I took the clear coat finish on my 99 Integra, yes, it makes the paint job looking great even after 4 years with very little maintnance BUT!!!! If you ever have to get it painted ie to fix a minor bump and grind then you must be extra vigilant with the paint job. Specially around the window seams. Improperly done, you will be able to see the missing clear coat at the edges and it will start to flake. I don't think I will be taking that option again.

As for the anti corrosion, is that the same as rust proofing? If so, I also took that option but this time around I will price it out seperately to see if the dealer is offering a bargain or not. Does it add value to the car, not sure but I am asking $500 more then a comprable car (same year, model, mileage etc) without the treatment. I would get this one again (in case I decide to keep the car at the end of the lease) but maybe not from the dealer.

#8 ·
Replying to Topic 'Bought my M6 - I4 Auto...'

Originally posted by jonny

I paid net:  $31755
GS-I4 Auto + SP
Includes paint protector + alloy wheel locks.[/b]
Thanks for the info. So, I assume that price includes the taxes and freight charges? It looks like you paid MSRP. Did you have a chance to haggle the price down -- or was the salesperson firm and wouldn't budge?

#9 ·
Reading Topic: Bought my M6 - I4 Auto...

I saved about $500. Sorry forgot to mention that I got Bug difflector as well. Three accessories total.

paint protector: $199
Alloy locks: $50
Bug difflector: $100
Total: $350 of accessories + tax on those (approx $400).
Freight + PDI + AC Tax, metallic paint tax and other many taxes.... combined were about $1300 - $1400

I walked out the first night. The sales man wouldn't budge. Then he called me back and we settled on this price. I wanted the car now and was happy to get $500 off. Plus my new grad discount on top of this :)

#10 ·
Replying to Topic 'Bought my M6 - I4 Auto...'

Those 'extras' that the dealer tries to sell you after you have negotiated the price are never (repeat NEVER) worth it.

Virtually all dealers do it. The technique is a simple one. You negotiate your price on the car with the salesmen who gets the price 'approved' by the sales manager. You haggle back an forth and they usually end up giving you some money off or some extra options..whatever. In your mind you have done the deal and finished the negotiation and bought a car. Then you go into an office (usually with an 'admin' type of person) to sign the paper work. This person's main function is to try to get you to buy those extras...paint protector, rust protection and fabric protector. Because most people are 'done' the negotiations and feel they have 'won' something, they tend to give in to this '2nd salesman' and take 1 or more of these ridiculously priced options. In some cases, the dealer will make more money selling those options than they will selling the car. While there is some minor value in these items, they are grossly overpriced are are little more than 'snake oil'.

The car already comes with plenty of rust protection from the factory. The stuff they spray on will hardly give any extra protection. If you want 'extra', get the underside of the car oiled once a year....Also, it costs the dealer less than $50 to apply that rust proofing.

The 'paint sealant' and 'acid rain protectant' is pure gimmick. All cars are painted with top quality polyurethane paint. These paints are extremely acid resistant. Adding paint sealant to a new car would be like putting the Maple Leafs adding an 8 year old to their line up to improve their scoring ability (okay bad example...that might actually help...). You would be better of spending $10 at Cdn Tire and getting some decent wax. Again, the 'paint sealant' probably costs the dealer about $25 or less.

The final thing you mentioned was the fabric protector. Again, don't be fooled. Pretend to be a Car Dealer and go to Canadian Tire, buy some 3M Scotch Guard for $5.99, spray all the fabric and then charge yourself $200.

Again, don't fall for the oldest trick in the car dealers book!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.