MZR-CD DPF faulty. Aftermarket options? - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
MZR-CD DPF faulty. Aftermarket options?

Hi,
I have an '09 M6 hatch with the 2.2 Diesel and have just been made aware of the dreaded DPF problem via the flashing light on the dash. Even though I have only done 63,000 km since new I have been very happy with the performance, handling and features of the M6.
After reading some of the threads from O/S, I realized that there seems be a lack of information for Australia. Can any owners help with the following questions?:
Has anybody has success in replacing the stock item?
Did you get any increased power / fuel economy?
Impact on resale value?
Some websites suggest that you can swap away from the expensive low ash oil after the removal of the DPF. True or False?
I note that there are a handful of websites offering DPF aftermarket kits, but before I consider these, I would be interested in hearing from M6 owners who have been forced to replace the stock DPF.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 09:23 PM
Learners License

Hi,

I have nearly 140,000km on my 09 M6 2.2 Wagon (GH series) and no issues yet. I had every service done at Mazda during the warranty period, including the bigger 120,000km service which included pulling the injectors and inspecting.

I do some pretty long runs regularly, which helps with the automated DPF regen cycles I believe.
I decided that once out of warranty, I would do the simpler service intervals myself and save the dough for the bigger services. To that end, I did the last oil change myself with Penrite Enviro+ DL1 5W-30. I think it was only $52 from Auto One, meeting low ash specs for the car. Filter was a Ryco Z79A ($10) and a $2 sump plug washer (14mm). I also used my torque wrench on the plug as I have a nasty habit of being a tad heavy handed.

I did an oil data reset when I did the service, found the info on how to on this forum somewhere.
Personally, I think Australia might be a better suited place for these cars. However, when we bought the car the salesman did ask us what kind of driving we did as an upfront question.
Even if you only do short runs, you should only need to keep an eye on that oil level every once in a while and only do a forced DPF regen only if absolutely necessary. Instructions for that were on the same page I found.

That 120,000 service I got done (which is the 75,000mile service that gets mentioned a bit around here) I think is important, even though Mazda said a lot of folk didn't bother getting the injectors checked because of the labour cost. Pretty foolish I think. We are owners of vehicles that have some pretty tight operating tolerances even in regard to the common rail injection alone. So getting injectors checked and calibrated is a pretty important step in the whole ownership saga. If they start fouling up or weeping you will have much more soot getting picked up in the DPF. Sure you can run the car without a DPF, but if the injectors and other control systems are not kept in regular tune, then it will run like crap anyway, just without the flashing lights.

Last edited by Norm_AU; 02-13-2014 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Updated oil brand info
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 04:23 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Smile

Hi Norm_AU,
Thanks for the feedback. I agree that logbook servicing for the Mazda diesel is an important requirement for longevity and engine efficiency. Although I no longer take my car to Mazda for servicing, the mechanic who now maintains the car is a diesel mechanic mainly working on top-end 4WD's and is pretty switched on.
I ended up taking the Mazda to HP-F in Dandenong (Vic) (03) 9793 1616 for the DPF delete and re-tune in March. Check out the attached dyno graph.

Since then I have completed @2500km and can report that the problem has now been resolved.
Torque has magically increased to 600 nm (up from 400nm), with power and torque greatly enhanced across the rev range. Also I can confirm that overall fuel economy has improved from 6.5L/100km to 6.2L/100km. The engine now runs noticeably smoother at idle and revs more freely through the gears.
The guys at HP-F were very focused on meeting my requirements, and delivered!
I had spoken to a number of workshops in Melbourne about undertaking the DPF delete process, and none came close to the information, advice and support offered by Mario at HP-F. I also found that Chip Tuning in Sydney were very generous with their time and information. Prices quoted by the various workshops varied by up to $2000, but remember - you get what you pay for!!
A follow up dyno run and tweak is planned as part of the process.
Interestingly, there is now some noticeable diesel fumes on start-up and at idle after a highway run. One of the key goals I sought was little or no smoke on start up or under normal acceleration. I can confirm that while there is some residue on the exhaust tips, diesel smoke is mostly absent.
The low-ash oil recommended by Mazda is still being used, despite the claims being made on the overseas forums that a cheaper grade can be safely used.
Both HP-F and my friendly mechanic strongly recommend staying with the factory specified low-ash oil. Although it is a lot more expensive, it is still a cheap insurance policy!
If needed, the particulate filter can be reinstated at a later date.
Hopefully the above information will help owners with their own DPF research.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HP-F dyno Mazda6_1.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	116945  

Last edited by AUSSIE_TURBO; 04-25-2014 at 04:55 AM. Reason: Graph didn't upload.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page