Transmission Whine at Cold Start Only - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Transmission Whine at Cold Start Only

Over the last month or 2, my 2004 Mazda6 wagon has started making a whining sound for a short period of time immediately upon start-up. It also makes the same noise when shifted into gear from park or neutral. I only hear it when the car is completely cold and hasn't been running for a long period of time. If you wait 5 minutes after starting the car, it doesn't make the noise anymore when shifted into gear or if you restart it.

Anyone else experience this before? It seems like it might be related to cold weather, because it is started showing up more as the weather got colder. It almost sounds like the hydraulic pump is cavitating/sucking air for a brief amount of time.

2004 Mazda 6 Sport Wagon, 3.0L, 5-Speed Auto Trans
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 04:06 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Groans: 19
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Garage
I would be more suspect of the power steering pump, they are good for making a loud hydraulic whine in the cold.

2004 Mazda 6s 3.0 5dr. 5spd never ending money vacuum project:
CP-E headers w/catted mid + Magnaflow carback/AEM CAI/3.7L TB/Speed6 springs/RX-8 wheels
AWR 70D Enginemount/CP-E Dogbone/Custom urethane stock trans mount
Ralco shortshifter/Bose w/Auxmod/sharkfin antenna/lots of little things...
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 04:15 PM
Rally Racer

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Garage
I am with @b1lk1 in that I believe it is your power steering pump as well.

Turn the wheel all the way to lock and see if the pitch changes. Don't forcefully keep it there for long but it will only take a second or two to verify a pitch change.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 6s Wagon 3.0, 5-speed ATX, Performance White (A2N)
Modifications:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

.MSP brakes &
slotted rotors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 05:43 PM

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Garage
If its turns out not to be the above I would check your idler/tensioner pullies, I know of a couple of cars that made a "wining" sort of noise when these started going bad.

2007 6 Hatch 3.0 V6 ATX

Mods tinted windows, trans cooler, triple gauge dash pod, EGR tube delete, TB coolant bypass, gutted exhaust w/ MagnaFlow muffler
To Come lowering springs, sway bars, subframe brace, strut tower brace
Places to find me-
->
<- ->
<- ->
<-

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 09:02 PM
Rally Racer

Garage
my AC "squeals like a pig" when I first start it.

Modifications:

.MSP brakes &
slotted rotors
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Groans: 19
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Garage
A loud squeal, meaning slipping belts, is a completely different noise than a hydraulic whine.

My 6 and my 2003 Durango both do it (hydraulic whine NOT belt slipping) when it is super cold out. I normally just let it run for a minute or so and it clears up and doesn't happen for the rest of the day.

2004 Mazda 6s 3.0 5dr. 5spd never ending money vacuum project:
CP-E headers w/catted mid + Magnaflow carback/AEM CAI/3.7L TB/Speed6 springs/RX-8 wheels
AWR 70D Enginemount/CP-E Dogbone/Custom urethane stock trans mount
Ralco shortshifter/Bose w/Auxmod/sharkfin antenna/lots of little things...
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Garage
I'm 95% positive that it's the transmission, not the power steering pump or other pulleys. The whine only lasts about 5 seconds after start-up or after shifting into gear. If I start it, then let it warm-up for a few minutes, it's perfectly quiet going into gear. It has no relation to steering wheel position and I don't see how shifting the transmission into drive would induce a noise from the power steering pump.

It's been warmer here yesterday and today, and the noise has been quieter to almost non-existent. I imagine it will be worse again when the temperature drops on Tuesday.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 06:05 PM
Rally Racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
A loud squeal, meaning slipping belts, is a completely different noise than a hydraulic whine.

My 6 and my 2003 Durango both do it (hydraulic whine NOT belt slipping) when it is super cold out. I normally just let it run for a minute or so and it clears up and doesn't happen for the rest of the day.

Yes, that is a unique sound. Mine is an AC clutch bearing and it lasts about 1 second when starting stone cold...sometimes.

If it is indeed the transmission I suppose it could be a transmission input bearing. Does it change pitch if you accelerate the motor slightly? Do you keep up with transmission fluid changes?

Modifications:

.MSP brakes &
slotted rotors
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFeelGood View Post

If it is indeed the transmission I suppose it could be a transmission input bearing. Does it change pitch if you accelerate the motor slightly? Do you keep up with transmission fluid changes?
I can try to see if it changes with the motor acceleration, but it might be hard because the noise is gone only seconds after it starts or is shifted into gear. My last drain/refill was just under 3 years/30,000 miles ago, but it was only done once and wouldn't have removed all of the old fluid. I was thinking my first step to address this noise would be to do a drain and refill a couple times and see if it takes care of it.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 08:55 PM
Rally Racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazdafish View Post
I can try to see if it changes with the motor acceleration, but it might be hard because the noise is gone only seconds after it starts or is shifted into gear. My last drain/refill was just under 3 years/30,000 miles ago, but it was only done once and wouldn't have removed all of the old fluid. I was thinking my first step to address this noise would be to do a drain and refill a couple times and see if it takes care of it.
My service manual lists both an oil pump and solenoid as a possible cause for whining noise in all gear selector positions at idle. In both instances it is persistent. Yours may be a result of nominal function and perhaps a fluid replacement would remedy it. That certainly would be the least expensive way to go.

Modifications:

.MSP brakes &
slotted rotors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page