2018 Signature Bucking/Jerking - Page 2 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 10:44 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Just over 3K here and haven't noticed this.

Question: Does this typically happen when the engine is cold? Leaving a parking space after the car has been sitting.... Or does it happen when the engine is fully warmed up... during heavy traffic slowing down for a stoplight?

'18 Machine Gray GT Reserve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 12:22 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Groans: 0
This has not happened on my 18' Mazda 6 (yet), but it did happen to me one time in our 18' CX-9 (same drivetrain, 7,500 miles on it). Same situation. Two months ago I was driving about 8MPH on the street looking for a house number, I turned toward the curb, and it just started bucking like when you are in to high of a gear in a manual transmission car and need to push in the clutch. I stopped, and put it in park. Then put I it back in D and drove off. It was 70 degrees outside, vehicle was completely warmed up. We had been driving all morning. I think it may be one of those computer glitches, that are nearly impossible to replicate unless you are in just the right circumstances.

I would certainly mention it the next time you take it in for service, just to get it documented. This way Mazda will be notified of the issue, so their engineers can look into it if enough people mention it. As a technician myself, it drives me crazy when one of my systems is glitching, and I don't hear about it until months later. Someone will say, "oh that hasn't been working right for months," but no one ever tells me about it so I can't fix it.
The Following User Says Thank You to NRS16GT For This Useful Post:
GTEyes (09-17-2018)
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 08:46 PM
GWL

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Not unique to the 2018, my 2015 has done it half dozen times, always at parking lot or stuck in traffic going less than 15 mph.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 04:25 AM
Learners License

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trippp View Post
Just over 3K here and haven't noticed this.

Question: Does this typically happen when the engine is cold? Leaving a parking space after the car has been sitting.... Or does it happen when the engine is fully warmed up... during heavy traffic slowing down for a stoplight?
Only happen when the car is completely warm up or have been driven for at least 5 mins and yes it happens the most during heavy traffic especially when slowing down to under 20mph and then accelerate again. Maybe that was why the technician couldn't duplicate the issue when I brought it in, forgot to tell him that.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 08:46 AM
Learners License

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I've had this happen quite a few times.
2018 Sig with about 4000 miles.
For me it happens in traffic.
Crawling at 5-10 mph and taking my foot off the gas,
It's not terrible bucking, but I can feel it.
I'll talk to service when I get the first oil change and the AA/CP installed.

2018 Signature White
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 09:19 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRS16GT View Post
This has not happened on my 18' Mazda 6 (yet), but it did happen to me one time in our 18' CX-9 (same drivetrain, 7,500 miles on it). Same situation. Two months ago I was driving about 8MPH on the street looking for a house number, I turned toward the curb, and it just started bucking like when you are in to high of a gear in a manual transmission car and need to push in the clutch. I stopped, and put it in park. Then put I it back in D and drove off. It was 70 degrees outside, vehicle was completely warmed up. We had been driving all morning. I think it may be one of those computer glitches, that are nearly impossible to replicate unless you are in just the right circumstances.

I would certainly mention it the next time you take it in for service, just to get it documented. This way Mazda will be notified of the issue, so their engineers can look into it if enough people mention it. As a technician myself, it drives me crazy when one of my systems is glitching, and I don't hear about it until months later. Someone will say, "oh that hasn't been working right for months," but no one ever tells me about it so I can't fix it.

I was wondering if it occurred in the latest CX9's drive-train too, so this answers that.
Thanks!
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 09:52 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Vipre77 Send a message via Yahoo to Vipre77
When it happens, do you guys know if you had the transmission in normal automatic mode or in manual mode? I'm at around 5500 miles on my 2018 GT and I haven't felt anything resembling bucking yet on mine except for when I'm in manual mode and I've downshifted into 1st gear at anything over 10 mph. This car doesn't seem to handle this downshift as gracefully as my 2016 CX-3 did. Like it has a hard time doing the rev-matching well where the CX-3 was pretty brilliant at it. Another behavior I've noticed is that the car doesn't really do much engine braking while in normal automatic mode, but it will do it in manual mode if I force it into a lower gear than it thinks is optimal. I have encountered a couple times where it did feel almost like the car was about to stall when engine braking down to near a complete stop. I can't be sure, but in that situation, the engine may be giving it a squirt of gas to keep it from stalling, causing the sensation you're seeing. If it's the same thing I've seen, I'd call that feeling more of a shudder rather than a bucking sensation.

His: 2018 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, Machine Grey
Hers: 2016 CX-5 Sport FWD, Reflex Blue
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Garage
Hi All,

Thanks for all of the responses. This is definitely helpful. Again, @Khai Ta seems to describe the issue perfectly and it looks as though others of you are experiencing.

My Service Manager is excellent at researching this stuff. While he may not find a solution or be able to replicate this, he'll search high and low and prod the right people to get some movement on this. Certainly more to come.

2018 Mazda6 Signature
- Soul Red/Parchment
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 10:46 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipre77 View Post
When it happens, do you guys know if you had the transmission in normal automatic mode or in manual mode? I'm at around 5500 miles on my 2018 GT and I haven't felt anything resembling bucking yet on mine except for when I'm in manual mode and I've downshifted into 1st gear at anything over 10 mph. This car doesn't seem to handle this downshift as gracefully as my 2016 CX-3 did. Like it has a hard time doing the rev-matching well where the CX-3 was pretty brilliant at it. Another behavior I've noticed is that the car doesn't really do much engine braking while in normal automatic mode, but it will do it in manual mode if I force it into a lower gear than it thinks is optimal. I have encountered a couple times where it did feel almost like the car was about to stall when engine braking down to near a complete stop. I can't be sure, but in that situation, the engine may be giving it a squirt of gas to keep it from stalling, causing the sensation you're seeing. If it's the same thing I've seen, I'd call that feeling more of a shudder rather than a bucking sensation.

For me, it's in regular ol' automatic mode...no manual mode being used.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 04:01 AM
Learners License

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
It is very normal for skyactiv gearbox, and it is not an issue and happen always at low speed between 1st and 2nd gear when you cruise at that speed.
Our gear tries to lock all the time and this locking mechanism similar to manual gearbox.

Try this trick but not always, but your gear in manual and shift to 2nd from 0 speed, it will be smoother as the clutch will spool more and absorb more vibration but will increase the oil temperature.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page