LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 02:13 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Question Jerking ATX

It seems I don't get a "brake" (pun intended) from issues with my 2016 M6 at 11.5k miles.

Still dealing with the "broken" tires but since the dealer resurfaced the rotors and I slowly get to the bottom of my shakes and wobbles, I noticed an increase of jerks in the ATX .. the gears feel like they almost swimming at times.

Also I noticed that sometimes the gear shifts down - it takes a moment that the actual transition happens causing a weird delayed boost that feels unnatural - and at times can be dangerous, especially when I expect the car to slow down but than gets a minimal boost - which I can handle through additional breaking but it's still is weird.

Anyway, all my latest issues have caused a hyper sensitivity in me and it could be all normal and wanted to ask the community here if you experience similar "issues" before I make myself a fool at the dealer :-)

Also when removing the tires and checking for any problems, I noticed that the ATX has a lot of play in Park mode - again could be all normal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tu75Xfvw6s0

Let me know.

Thx,

Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 09:03 AM
Track Racer

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Specifically addressing the video - the amount of rotational play in the rotor isn't surprising for an ATX, even when it is in park. My 2016 ATX has a surprisingly long travel distance if I park on even a slight incline. My driveway is a bit more than slight incline. If I put the car in park in the driveway and release the brake, the car rolls far enough to bounce just slightly. I tend to use the ebrake to deal with that. Not because there's necessarily anything wrong, but because I don't like the feeling of the bounce when I'm sitting in the car.

In a MTX, the cylinder compression is what holds the car in "park". There shouldn't be any play there.

As for the first part of your video, I don't think that sloppiness is a huge deal. Once the wheel is mounted, it should be enough to snug the rotor onto the wheel hub. What concerns me along these lines is that the rotors needed to be resurfaced on a brand new car. Did they explain to you why they did that?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

They said that they were "slightly warped" which caused my issue with the oscillating vibration under breaking conditions. At least that issue has been resolved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

I am still trying to understand the jerky-ness of the ATX when actually driving.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 10:46 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 12 Times in 4 Posts
I think I have experienced the same "jerkiness". Periodically I'll stomp on the accelerator to pass or merge and the car will hesitate at about 2K, then "catch". It seems to happen less frequently in sport mode. But it's still annoying. Will probably mention it to dealer at my 10K service.

2018 Machine Gray Mazda6 Signature
2010 Mazda CX-9 GT Dolphin w/Nav
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 08:28 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Groans: 19
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Garage
Parking on an incline without using the parking brake will eventually cause the pin inside the transmission to wear/break. It will take a long time, but the parking brake is supposed to be used every time you park the car. It is NOT an emergency brake, it is a parking brake. Common and age old misconception.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 11:11 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Groans: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyandi View Post
I am still trying to understand the jerky-ness of the ATX when actually driving.
I have experienced the jerky-ness too, but usually in traffic . The car behaves like an MTX when in higher gear in low rpm. I think much of it is due to gearing that seems tuned towards maximum mileage, so it shifts to higher gears in low rpm.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 08:22 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 5 Times in 3 Posts
Garage
99% of the time I don't push the car full-throttle past the click. I might throttle down to the soft stop, but going past the click can cause unnecessarry roughness if the ATX thinks it can downshift just one more gear to get a few more rpm. I find mine drives nicely provided I drive it nicely. If I intend to race or drive spiritedly, manual mode is always a better option so I don't get weird ATX upshift/downshifts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 03:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyedocorlando View Post
99% of the time I don't push the car full-throttle past the click. I might throttle down to the soft stop, but going past the click can cause unnecessarry roughness if the ATX thinks it can downshift just one more gear to get a few more rpm. I find mine drives nicely provided I drive it nicely. If I intend to race or drive spiritedly, manual mode is always a better option so I don't get weird ATX upshift/downshifts.
True - I think it's the problem of me switching between Sport and Auto mode .. and the adjustment between the gears takes some time especially if the rev's are up causing the jerkiness.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page