LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Transmission Service

Looking over the owners manual there is no listing for frequency of transmission fluid replacement service. Can it be that it needs NO service?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
They claim that it's a "sealed" transmission not requiring service.

Sure, it might be lifetime fluid- where the lifetime of the vehicle is 5 years / 60k mi, whichever comes first.

I plan on changing mine at some interval I haven't yet determined. It can be done and there is a fill hole with a dipstick built into it.

'14 Mazda6 Touring/Tech, Soul Red/Sand
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 12:48 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Need more information

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyguy View Post
Looking over the owners manual there is no listing for frequency of transmission fluid replacement service. Can it be that it needs NO service?
First of all we need to know what car you have. The older Mazda's auto transmissions required changing every 30k miles. The oils they use now are better , so probably will last longer. The best thing is to call Mazda and ask, that way you will get a straight answer. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

My Mazda 6 is a new 2016.
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 11:55 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 5 Times in 3 Posts
Garage
Even though this has been discussed before, I'll go ahead and answer. There is a drain bolt on the transmission and it takes about 3.5-5qts of fluid if you drain it. You refill the transmission through the bolted in dipstick tube. Mazda does not formally recommend servicing the fluid, and they explicitly state do not flush the transmission in their service manual. Some people have changed the fluid to little effect .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for that info.

Seems odd to me that the 2016 6 manual does not specify ANY transmission service, yet the dealer offers it.

Guess I'm old school, I'll replace fluid at 40k to 50k, as I plan on keeping the car for quite awhile.
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 10:15 AM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I did a drain and fill at 25K. The factory juice is a green color, but the tranny fluid came out a weird brown color. I'm pretty easy on the car and don't abuse the tranny so I think it's normal. Didn't notice any performance difference, but since it's an easy task I'll probably do it every 25K-30K as I plan to keep my baby for a while.

2014 Mazda 6, Corksport RSB, Tannabe springs, AutoExe strut bar, Racing Beat Exhaust, Raybestos EHT pads
The Following User Says Thank You to Lowered6 For This Useful Post:
eyedocorlando (12-01-2015)
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 10:12 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi folks, newb mazda owner here. I used to work in a transmission shop. I honestly believe in changing your tranny fluid every 30,000 miles. That being said, I just bought a 2014 mazda 6 with 68,000 miles on it. I asked the dealership i bought it from to do a transmission flush and change the filter. They told me not necessary until 100,000 miles and even then its just inspection. I told them sorry, I want to flush the fluid and change the filter. Local dealership said there is no filter to change. I showed them the part number for a filter and went to a different dealership. 2nd dealership called in the shop foreman to talk with me. I asked him how often he changed his fluid. He said he didnt drive a mazda but did his every 30,000 just like me. He said there is no way to connect the flush machine to the skyactive tranny to do a catalytic converter flush so all they could do was drop the pan install a new filter and run the 4 quarts through which only removes about half the old fluid. I would have to run it for an hour or so and drain and repeat to get more of the converter fluid out. I caught the shop foreman in the break room and slipped him a 20$. When he gave me the car back he said he dug up about 3 more quarts in the shop and ran it through so if i believe him i should be good to go for another 60,000 between what i believe and the factory does. The mazda tranny fluid is blue and expensive. Its a non maintenance item because they last past the warranty but just barely. If you plan on keeping your car and driving the wheels off it like i do mine change the blue stuff and drop the pan, do the filter and do more than the single flush. My opinion fwiw.
Heres the scary part. You could ask for the same thing but your local stealership may stroke you and not bother to drop the pan and put in the filter, but just charge you for it thinking your crazy for asking for it. Maybe asking for the old filter back would help. Reinforcing what i just posted. The fluid is not supposed to be green or brown. Its supposed to be blue. Mine is now.
ArmoldasBak likes this.

Last edited by wheredoesthisgo; 02-25-2016 at 10:19 PM.
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 07:52 AM
Learners License

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have a 2015 6 at 60k I'm going to look into this thanks for the info
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 08:48 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Groans: 3
If it was my car, I'd change the ATF at 50-60k.

Car makers have been removing stuff like transmission fluid or brake fluid from lists of "scheduled" or "recommended" maintenance for years to show "lower cost of ownership."

Probably works for the first owner on a 2-year lease...but not the second or third owner.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 Mazda 6 Touring (w/6-speed manual transmission)
OE fog lights/navigation card/auto-dimming mirror/
Tanabe front strut bar/
Orange Virus 91-octane tune/Racing Beat rear muffler

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page