Learners License

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jerky Shifts 1-2 and 2-3

Hi all,

Got my 2014 Mazda6 in April 2013 - 29,500 miles now so I'm hoping for some ideas soon.

It has always had a bit of a jerk from 2-3 at about 18 mph when I am in stop-and-go traffic. It downshifts fine, but when the atx upshifts to 3rd, it sometimes jerks back before it kicks in (normally coming off of an idle at ~15mph). This has occurred since probably 3000 miles - I took it in and the dealer attributed it to the skyactiv transmission and was just a "side effect" of the new technology. It was skeptical, but it wasn't consistent or awful, so I just let it go.

Now I am having the same situation occur (since about 25,000 miles) when it tries to shift from 1-2 while idleing. If it's coming off a stop, there won't be a jerk, but if it is on the downshift/idle, it will often jerk before it clicks into second. I took it in again recently and they attributed it to "gear-hunting" in the computer; they say it's normal.

Maybe this is normal, but it seems a bit odd that it just started doing it from 1-2 in the last 6 months or so. Anyone have any experience or ideas? I'm pretty inexperienced with cars, I just know I've never had a transmission do this in the past.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 07:54 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Groans: 2
welcome!

ive noticed a couple other "irregularities" for being a new atx at low speeds. ive wrote it off and not thought much of it.
Nprguymc likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

05 Mazda3 Hatch

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 11:36 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
I have noticed this in other automatics that I have driven. Here is some good info for you about automatic transmissions. http://www.gobluedevil.com/blog/why-...shifting-hard/

A lot of automatics today are going with dual clutches that make shifting smoother and faster but Mazda decided to leave it out of the new skyactivs.
Chuckie likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to doctor rizz For This Useful Post:
Chuckie (01-20-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Very much appreciate the replies - at least I know I'm not alone!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 12:42 AM
GWL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Add me to the list as well.
Also, slips the first shift in the morning or after it sits for 8+ hours.
I always wait for the idle to slow down approx. 30 seconds and still same thing.
Also experienced mild bucking twice in the 3 weeks I've had the car when slow driving in lots of stop/go traffic. Not likely this tranny will last 100K+ miles at this rate.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 06:45 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWL View Post
Add me to the list as well.
Also, slips the first shift in the morning or after it sits for 8+ hours.
I always wait for the idle to slow down approx. 30 seconds and still same thing.
Also experienced mild bucking twice in the 3 weeks I've had the car when slow driving in lots of stop/go traffic. Not likely this tranny will last 100K+ miles at this rate.
mine does all the symptoms mentioned above, and i also let the high idle do its thing before i drive off. I atribute it to the blue light/ cold coolant/engine mapping, because once the blue light is off the jerking slipping is gone. and yes it takes extended sitting for it to come up, like you said, 8+ hrs. from what i have been reading the MT is also funky when cold, maybe letting the fluid warm up will help, but these days a 5 minute warm up hurts more than benefits.

I also have the slow speed bucking in traffic, I feel like it has to do with the low speed of the transmission/tq converter/clutch lockup, it happens below 10 mph. and in stop and go traffic we happen to be transitioning between those speeds all the time, and eventually we hit a sweet spot during the lock up speed transitions that ends up "snagging" the trans and causing the jerks. The early DCTs in the focuses was notorious for this jerking issue. If i go to the dealer i am pretty sure they will say the usual its "the way the sky trans works"

i started getting these symptoms about 5-10K in, now its 17K, and 2 years into ownership

2014 Mazda 6 Touring Liquid Silver
[ OVT 91 octane tune ][ CS Power Series SRI+Airbox ][ Racing Beat Axleback ][Paddle Shift retrofit][ Morimoto XB35 35w 5000k HID lows ][ LED interior lights and plate lights ][ 3M FX HP Tint ][ Dipped rims and dipped trim ]

Last edited by Jerrycobra; 04-21-2015 at 06:51 AM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 08:06 AM

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 905 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
The only real oddity I have with the MTX is that the 3rd gear gate is a bit balky when the transmission is cold. It's a bad idea to ram the gearbox around anyway (the synchros will do the job but the wear level goes up exponentially over shifting at a nice pace where the synchros operate on the oil film) but when cold the MTX simply won't cooperate with that sort of abusive behavior whether you want it to or not.

My Jetta has always been balky going into 2nd when cold, so this sort of thing is not unusual at all.....
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 08:27 PM
GWL

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrycobra View Post
mine does all the symptoms mentioned above, and i also let the high idle do its thing before i drive off. I atribute it to the blue light/ cold coolant/engine mapping, because once the blue light is off the jerking slipping is gone. and yes it takes extended sitting for it to come up, like you said, 8+ hrs. from what i have been reading the MT is also funky when cold, maybe letting the fluid warm up will help, but these days a 5 minute warm up hurts more than benefits.

I also have the slow speed bucking in traffic, I feel like it has to do with the low speed of the transmission/tq converter/clutch lockup, it happens below 10 mph. and in stop and go traffic we happen to be transitioning between those speeds all the time, and eventually we hit a sweet spot during the lock up speed transitions that ends up "snagging" the trans and causing the jerks. The early DCTs in the focuses was notorious for this jerking issue. If i go to the dealer i am pretty sure they will say the usual its "the way the sky trans works"

i started getting these symptoms about 5-10K in, now its 17K, and 2 years into ownership
I appreciate your post.
Mine only has 600 miles and already doing it, you live in southern California and one would think cold starts aren't an issue at all.
I get smooth shifting most of the time only first shift and 0-20mph stop/go traffic this weird stuff happens.
The Following User Says NO Thank You to GWL For This Un-useful Post:
shadowhunt (07-15-2015)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 12:01 PM
Learners License

Bumping this old thread. Anyone else experiencing this issue with later models?

I have a 2017 Sport that seems to have these same hesitation and jerky issue in low gears/speed especially when accelerating from a stop.

The car has 16k miles, however, the first transmission was replaced at 12.5k due to the high pitched whining sound. I don't remember the first transmission ever having this issue; it always shifted like butter even though it made that whining sound . I also don't remember the new transmission having this issue until just recently; it was also always shifting like butter.

It feels like the car just has a hard time going in 1st and 2nd and can't decide the right time to shift is the best way I can describe it.

It feels like a programming issue but not sure why it would just pop up now. The only driving habits that have changed recently is that I use to do mainly highway driving(85%) whereas now I do about a 50/50 split due to major interstate construction.

Im going to try seeing if the A/C and driving in Sport/Manual mode have any effect on it. This issue is pretty annoying and might take it into the dealership soon.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 02:05 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Groans: 9
Groaned at 11 Times in 9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jac4146 View Post
Bumping this old thread. Anyone else experiencing this issue with later models?

I have a 2017 Sport that seems to have these same hesitation and jerky issue in low gears/speed especially when accelerating from a stop.

The car has 16k miles, however, the first transmission was replaced at 12.5k due to the high pitched whining sound. I don't remember the first transmission ever having this issue; it always shifted like butter even though it made that whining sound . I also don't remember the new transmission having this issue until just recently; it was also always shifting like butter.

It feels like the car just has a hard time going in 1st and 2nd and can't decide the right time to shift is the best way I can describe it.

It feels like a programming issue but not sure why it would just pop up now. The only driving habits that have changed recently is that I use to do mainly highway driving(85%) whereas now I do about a 50/50 split due to major interstate construction.

Im going to try seeing if the A/C and driving in Sport/Manual mode have any effect on it. This issue is pretty annoying and might take it into the dealership soon.
The high pitched whining sound you experienced with your first unit is an obvious sign of transmission failure.

Does the transmission only shift jerky from 1-2 going at low speeds, and at very low RPM? Try using more throttle and see if it still stumbles during that shift. Also, try using manual mode as well.

Sounds to me like the transmission just needs to be reflashed which the dealer could do easily. Could also need a solenoid replacement which sounds less likely, but is possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page