Mazda 6 Forums banner

Valvoline Equivalents for OEM Transmission Fluid

36K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  grfo 
#1 ·
My son is a new Mazda 6s owner, 2003. 99900 miles.
We're having some tranny shifting issues - so we're changing the fluid out.
I bought Valvoline Mercon V and was nervous because there's no mention of Mazda on the label or the mysterious M-V specification.
After searching the forums for a while, I thought I'd share this guide - my first post so be kind :)

http://www.carquestprofessionals.co...F Application NON-Laminated Guide 6.10.13.pdf

The doc refers to SLF and MA5 - I'm at a loss as to what those acronyms are referring to.

For our buggy it has:
2003-12: Mazda 3, Mazda6 with 4 or 5 speed
SLF (which refers to what?)
Specification: ATF M-V
Valvolne Brands: MaxLife ATF, MERCON V

#2 ·
MAZDA said:
CORRECT APPLICATIONS FOR ATF M-V (TYPE M5) AND MERCON®V AUTOMATIC
TRANSMISSION FLUIDS
Bulletin No: 05-005/08
Last Issued: 4/11/2008
Service Bulletin Mazda North American Operations
Irvine, CA 92618-2922
MULTI MODEL - CORRECT APPLICATIONS FOR ATF M-V (TYP

DESCRIPTION
Always be sure to use the correct automatic transmission fluid when replacing ATF. Using the wrong ATF may
cause shift quality complaints or may even damage the transmission.
NOTE:
• ATF M-V (TYPE M5) IS NOT THE SAME FLUID AS MERCON®V ATF.
• ATF M-V (TYPE M5) HAS A GREATER VISCOSITY THAN MERCON®V ATF IN LOW TEMPERATURES.
• ATF M-V (TYPE M5) HAS A GREATER ANTI-JUDDER SPECIFICATION THAN MERCON®V ATF.

CAUTION:
• USING ATF OTHER THAN ATF M-V (TYPE M5) IN AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS
DESIGNED TO USE ATF M-V (TYPE M5) MAY CAUSE SHIFT QUALITY COMPLAINTS.
• USING ATF OTHER THAN MERCON®V IN AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS DESIGNED TO
USE MERCON®V MAY CAUSE TRANSMISSION DAMAGE.
Just the fact that Valvoline lists both Mercon5 and LV(Might as well say SP while they are at it) being the equal to there "MaxLife ATF, MERCON V" is pretty scary. Especially when Ford and Mazda both have bullitens about NOT using Merc5 in LV or SP applications.

Back on point, you need to find a fluid that says Mazda Type M5 like this.

#3 · (Edited)
Thanks for posting the TSB.

I emailed Valvoline several times today and received this note from a VP @ Valvoline - the PDF was 49kb and it didn't let me upload it due to the 19kb limit.
April 24, 2014
MaxLife ATF is a full synthetic automatic transmission fluid designed to meet the needs of the broadest range of transmission designs. MaxLife ATF recommendations are based on a combination of field-testing and laboratory testing.
Valvoline recommends MaxLife ATF in a broad range of transmissions. The list below is just a sample of applications where Valvoline supports the use of MaxLife ATF. Valvoline has conducted in-house testing, independent lab testing, and field-testing to support MaxLife ATF performance in these transmissions; however, it is important to note that the respective vehicle manufacturers have neither evaluated nor approved MaxLife ATF in these applications.
• Allison TES 389, C-4
• Audi/VW G-055-025-A2, G-052-162-A1/A2, G-052-990-A2, G-055-005-A2, G-055-162-A6, G-060-162-A2
• BMW LT71141, LA2634, M-1375.4 fluids
• Chrysler Diamond SP-III, NAG-1, 3403 M115
• Ford MERCON
• Ford FNR5
• Ford MERCON® V
• Ford XL-12
• Ford MERCON® SP
• MERCON® LV
• GM 9986195
• GM DEXRON® II, III and VI
• GM Autotrak II
• Honda/Acura ATF-Z1, DW1 (except in CVTs)
• Hyundai SP-II, SP-III, SP-IV, SPH-IV, SP4-M
• JWS 3309
• JASO 1A
• KIA SP-II and SP-III Fluids
• KIA Red 1
• Mazda M-V, FZ
• Mercedes Benz MB236.1, MB236.6, MB236.7, MB236.9, MB236.10, MB236.12, MB 236.14
• Mercedes Benz NAG-1
• MOPAR AS68RC ATF
• Miscellaneous OEMs – M1375.4, M1375.6, LT 71141, ETL-7045E, ETL-8072B, 3403 M115, N402
• Mitsubishi Diamond SP-II, SP-III, ATF-J3
• Nissan Matic-D, Matic-J, Matic-K, and Matic-S
• Saab 93 165 147
• Subaru ATF
• Subaru ATF-HP
• Toyota / Lexus Type T, T-III and T-IV
• Toyota WS
• Volvo 1161521 and 1161540, and STD 1273.41
• VW TL52162, LT71141
• ZF TE-ML-14B, 16L, 17C

Please note: Valvoline has recently received reports of shudder in some Volvo XC series and Mazda CX9 vehicles with Aisin 6-speed transmissions. We are investigating this and in the meantime recommend that customers use the OEM fluid for these specific applications until we can resolve the issue.
Valvoline stands behind all of its products, including MaxLife ATF. Use of MaxLife ATF in transmissions where recommended by Valvoline WILL NOT void the vehicle’s warranty. Vehicle manufacturers are restricted by federal law from including the requirement of the use of a specific brand or trade name of product or service as a condition of their warranty.

The following is an extract from the Federal Trade Commission’s web site on interpretation of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act:
"Tie-In Sales" Provisions Generally, tie-in sales provisions are not allowed. Such a provision would require a purchaser of the warranted product to buy an item or service from a particular company to use with the warranted product in order to be eligible to receive a remedy under the warranty. The following are examples of prohibited tie-in sales provisions.
In order to keep your new Plenum Brand Vacuum Cleaner warranty in effect, you must use genuine Plenum Brand Filter Bags. Failure to have scheduled maintenance performed, at your expense, by the Great American Maintenance Company, Inc., voids this warranty.

Valvoline has conducted extensive testing and has a long history of successful use of MaxLife ATF in a broad range of applications. In the unlikely event that you or your customer experiences any transmission damage while using MaxLife ATF in a Valvoline recommended application, please contact Valvoline at 1-800-Team-VAL for assistance.
While MaxLife ATF is designed to meet the special needs of higher mileage transmissions, new transmissions can also benefit from its enhanced oxidation protection, shear stability, seal compatibility, wear protection and anti-shudder protection. Many consumers have chosen to take advantage of this level of performance in newer transmissions.
Valvoline does not recommend MaxLife ATF for use in most continuously variable transmissions (CVTs) unless specifically noted nor in automatic transmissions where Ford Type F fluids are recommended.
Sincerely,
Thom Smith
Vice President, Branded Lubricant Technology

#4 ·
My last ATF flush was on 2009 with 40,000 miles with valvoline max life with no problem . Now at 75,000 I performed a drain and refill with Royal Purple Why? Valvoline Max Life is not recommended for MV application because they change the oil specs around four years ago to comply with new cars requirements. If you don believe me just look for MV in the pdf in Valvoline web site or look in the label in the bottle for max life and valvoline import (blue bottle). This new max life oil is low viscosity if you read the tsb refers to a higher viscosity.

#5 ·
Thanks for the reply - I'm more or less with your line of thought, I went after Valvoline with an email campaign and am at least mollified to the point I'll use the Maxlife for a time only because of the letter from the VP and I have a lot of brand loyalty from the Mercon V product.

It really annoys me that Valvo doesn't prominently put MV on the label or on the product PDF on their website - how expensive would a couple more lines be rather than using the statement ""The above constitutes only a partial list of applications approved by Valvoline. Please contact us at 1-800-Team-VAL for additional
applications".

So my loyalty is thin, no pun intended, on Maxlife for the 6.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.