07 transmission fluid change. - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
VoD
Learners License

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
07 transmission fluid change.

I have 2007 2.3 liter automatic mazda 6 and I am planning to change the transmission fluid soon. But my question is how much fluid I should buy and ask for any advice?
I was reading some forums the other day and they talked about not being able to drain all fluid out due to the torque converter. From reading my Haynes manual I would seem I don't have a torque converter. So final question, if I was to drop the transmission oil pan would that in turn drain all 8.6 quarts? (and yes I plan to get all the fluid out of the lines best I can by rigging a bicycle pump to the inlet line). Never done this before and the only knowledge I have is from reading the Haynes manual and browsing the forums but know one talks about the same vehicle as mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 10:37 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Do not mean to be rude , but why not have the dealer change it. The right amount of the right fluid and also a filter (I believe) will be changed and warranted.(Work will be warranted). A new transmission is over $4k . It cost me about $150 for my 2006 I-4 , 5 speed oil change, at the dealer. Your transmission does have a torque converter, by the way. Of course its your call. Oldvet
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 10:52 AM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoD View Post
I have 2007 2.3 liter automatic mazda 6 and I am planning to change the transmission fluid soon. But my question is how much fluid I should buy and ask for any advice?
I bought 12Qts off Amazon pretty cheap. You can shop around and do the same though - I was in a bit of a jam and had a amazon GC I had to use.

Quote:
I was reading some forums the other day and they talked about not being able to drain all fluid out due to the torque converter. From reading my Haynes manual I would seem I don't have a torque converter.
We do have a torque converter. I am fairly certain nearly all AT cars do. I would not like to be held and quoted to that though.

Quote:
So final question, if I was to drop the transmission oil pan would that in turn drain all 8.6 quarts? (and yes I plan to get all the fluid out of the lines best I can by rigging a bicycle pump to the inlet line). Never done this before and the only knowledge I have is from reading the Haynes manual and browsing the forums but know one talks about the same vehicle as mine.
I would drain and fill from the plug. You get about 3.6-3.8Qt of fluid out. Drive around about two weeks and do the same. Rinse, lather, repeat until you have beautiful red fluid.

I would advise against dropping the pan. 1- the bolts are held on by the power of Thor. 2- there really is no serviceable filter - which kinda defeats the purpose of dropping the pan. 3- It is extremely messy.

Many many people around here would recommend you do the drain and fill method. But if your heart is set on dropping the pan I am sure you can find a post about it somewhere. Goodluck!

2008 Mazda 6i -
Mods- 0w-20 Mag1 Conversion, Spin on Kit, Fog lights (coming soon), In-line Tran Filter, Gauge-Pods (coming soon, almost done), and Interior LEDs.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Following User Says Thank You to throwaway For This Useful Post:
danbfree (03-07-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 09:58 AM
Learners License

Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by throwaway View Post

I would advise against dropping the pan. 1- the bolts are held on by the power of Thor. 2- there really is no serviceable filter - which kinda defeats the purpose of dropping the pan. 3- It is extremely messy.

Many many people around here would recommend you do the drain and fill method. But if your heart is set on dropping the pan I am sure you can find a post about it somewhere. Goodluck!
Fugure I'd bring this back up in case anybody else ever stumbled across it during an internet search like I did.

There is in fact a serviceable filter inside the transaxle and it can in fact become clogged and restrict flow after time. If the fluid becomes too restricted, it can cause the trans fluid temp to climb and trigger the "AT" light to come on.

Dropping the pan is not a hard task. You need to take your time and pay close attention to what you're doing. 1st and foremost, drain it via drainplug...this will cut way back on any mess. There are a lot of bolts that hold the pan on. The pan is sealed with silicone from the factory instead of a gasket. You can use a flat-blade screw driver or equivalent to pry the pan away from the trans.

Once loose, the pan will have to be twisted and turned to maneuver it clear of the frame and transaxle. Putting it back is equally as fun. There's a round magnet stuck to the inside of the pan that will be covered in a metallic sludge. It needs to be removed and cleaned. You can clean the pan however you feel is easiest. Degreaser and water works, wiping with those Scott's blue shop towels works, too.

Also remove any silicon residue from the pan lip and also the mounting flange of the transmission. The filter just pulls straight down...about a pint of fluid it gush out behind it. New filter simply pushes back in. There's a small tab with a wire that also attaches to the bottom of the filter. It is easily pulled out and pushes back into the new filter.

The filter kit I got from Advance Auto was a Trans King and it included a rubber gasket. It's personal preference whether to use it or run a bead of silicone like the factory did...however, the silicone method will be harder due to having to make contact with the trans when maneuvering the pan back into place. I chose the gasket instead.

Mine ended up holding right at 4 quarts to get the level back to the full mark on the dipstick. I used Valvoline MaxLife Multi-Vehicle full synthetic ATF to refill. It is compatible with Mazda M-V according to their website.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 07:45 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGolden0731 View Post
Fugure I'd bring this back up in case anybody else ever stumbled across it during an internet search like I did.

There is in fact a serviceable filter inside the transaxle and it can in fact become clogged and restrict flow after time. If the fluid becomes too restricted, it can cause the trans fluid temp to climb and trigger the "AT" light to come on.

Dropping the pan is not a hard task. You need to take your time and pay close attention to what you're doing. 1st and foremost, drain it via drainplug...this will cut way back on any mess. There are a lot of bolts that hold the pan on. The pan is sealed with silicone from the factory instead of a gasket. You can use a flat-blade screw driver or equivalent to pry the pan away from the trans.

Once loose, the pan will have to be twisted and turned to maneuver it clear of the frame and transaxle. Putting it back is equally as fun. There's a round magnet stuck to the inside of the pan that will be covered in a metallic sludge. It needs to be removed and cleaned. You can clean the pan however you feel is easiest. Degreaser and water works, wiping with those Scott's blue shop towels works, too.

Also remove any silicon residue from the pan lip and also the mounting flange of the transmission. The filter just pulls straight down...about a pint of fluid it gush out behind it. New filter simply pushes back in. There's a small tab with a wire that also attaches to the bottom of the filter. It is easily pulled out and pushes back into the new filter.

The filter kit I got from Advance Auto was a Trans King and it included a rubber gasket. It's personal preference whether to use it or run a bead of silicone like the factory did...however, the silicone method will be harder due to having to make contact with the trans when maneuvering the pan back into place. I chose the gasket instead.

Mine ended up holding right at 4 quarts to get the level back to the full mark on the dipstick. I used Valvoline MaxLife Multi-Vehicle full synthetic ATF to refill. It is compatible with Mazda M-V according to their website.
Interested in changing the filter in my 07 auto 3.0L V6. is this process the same for mine? if so, do you have a link to the filter you used?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 12:27 AM
Rally Racer

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Interested in changing the filter in my 07 auto 3.0L V6. is this process the same for mine? if so, do you have a link to the filter you used?

Hello there. If you have the JA5A-EL "Jatco" 5-speeed automatic then there is no filter for you to replace (apart fro dropping the transaxle and opening the case). The 4-speed auto has a serviceable filter and I do not know about the 6-speed "Aisin" unit.

I drained my fluid from the drain plug into a dollar pitcher. I marked the level and refilled the same amount back through the dipstick using Mobil MV formula. I started the car and put the selector in Drive for 30 sec and then N for 30 sec then R for 30 sec. I did this 3 times then turned the engine off and drained. I repeated the process 3x total and on the last time the fluid was almost clear red. I think I used around 10 quarts.
I currently drain and refill every 30,000 mi and I use an inline trans filter before the cooler which I replace annually..

If you have a sedan then other than clean fluid the best thing you can do is make sure it does not over heat. A small oil cooler may be a good step down the road.
[email protected] likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mozz-D
2004 6s Wagon 3.0, 5-speed ATX
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 12:33 AM
Learners License

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFeelGood View Post
Hello there. If you have the JA5A-EL "Jatco" 5-speeed automatic then there is no filter for you to replace (apart fro dropping the transaxle and opening the case). The 4-speed auto has a serviceable filter and I do not know about the 6-speed "Aisin" unit.

I drained my fluid from the drain plug into a dollar pitcher. I marked the level and refilled the same amount back through the dipstick using Mobil MV formula. I started the car and put the selector in Drive for 30 sec and then N for 30 sec then R for 30 sec. I did this 3 times then turned the engine off and drained. I repeated the process 3x total and on the last time the fluid was almost clear red. I think I used around 10 quarts.
I currently drain and refill every 30,000 mi and I use an inline trans filter before the cooler which I replace annually..

If you have a sedan then other than clean fluid the best thing you can do is make sure it does not over heat. A small oil cooler may be a good step down the road.
yeah unfortunately I have the Aisin 6speed, thats why I was wondering

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 12:45 AM
Track Racer

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Garage
The Aisin has a filter in the "pan" but its vertically mounted on the front of the trans. I have a filter for it but its more strainer than anything. One day I plan to change it but it looks like a messy job. You can find the filter at Rockauto

- 2007 Mazda 6s Sport Wagon Sport VE, A6, bought Nov 30th '18

- 2017 Chevrolet SS Nightfall Gray 6mt & LS3
- 1957 Chevrolet Sports Sedan
- 1992,1994 Infiniti G20 2.0L, 5mt
- 2000 Infiniti G20 2.0L, auto

Previous Mazdas: 89 & 2 x 92 626s (GD)

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 12:49 AM
Learners License

I have the transmission manual for it, but I would like to find a repair guide if possible

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 03:33 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I have the transmission manual for it, but I would like to find a repair guide if possible

Try to see post number 72:

https://forum.mazda6club.com/atx-tra.../355289?page=8

The method might be similar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page