Mazda 6 Forums banner

Neutral Safety Switch

40K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  superj 
#1 · (Edited)
I've got two things on Rock auto that show up. Now, I want to spend as least as I have to. One part is, $8. The other much more.

Anyone have this problem before and had to buy a part to fix this? Which one worked and where the hell is it at on this car?

(Car is starting to force me to start it in neutral, unless I play around with it in park to get it to recognize where it's at.)

2.3, auto.

Also apparently known as the Trans-axle Range Sensor and another part Trans-axle Range Relay

#4 ·
Correct. I have heard of this problem before on other cars. I was freaking out in the lot, I had no symptoms to go off that would immediately trigger and oh shit moment. Buddy of mine texted me to put it in neutral to see if it starts and sure enough it did. He called it the neutral safety switch. As I looked up the part, came across it on Rockauto, called Trans-axle Range Sensor or Range Sensor Relay.

#7 ·
Has your problem been corrected? I have a 2008 Mazda 6 and I have been having the same problem. The parking light is completely unlit and when I am driving, the driver light will flicker. I finally have the money to get it fixed and finally found forum about it, so if you figured out that would be awesome. It would allow me to point my mechanic in the right way.

#9 ·
MAZDA 6 2007
Neutral Safety Switch / Trans-axle Range Sensor
Hi,.I ahve been facing a problem of not starting when try .When I move the gear right to left or put in neutral then it restart.
Kindly let me know what to do to fix it??.Do I need to replace a new starter OR a new Neutral Safety Switch OR / Trans-axle Range Sensor , for my MAZDA 6 , 2007
Regards

#10 ·
If it's starting in neutral or after moving/wiggling the shifter around a bit, it's the Range Sensor. The range sensor is not part of the starter as previously stated above (I looked up some pics just to be sure). However, it is part of the ignition system because the range sensor basically has to indicate that the car is in Park or Neutral before the computer will allow the starter solenoid/motor to engage/turn over when the key switch is turned. On most automatic cars, the range sensor is mounted on the side of the transmission, and a little bit of AT fluid will be lost when swapping it out but not usually enough to matter.

On rare occasions I'm having the same thing occur in our 6i, so if you replace it, can you please report back and let us know the difficulty or rough cost to get it fixed?

#11 · (Edited)
I know this is a bit old, but I had this issue last year on my 06 6i. I replaced the neutral safety switch (located on the right side if you are looking at the engine, under the airbox) part is FN0221444, I believe.

Haven't had that issue since, but just the other day While I was driving on the highway (about 5 mins after starting the car) the indicator light for "D" went off and so did the gear indicator underneath that on the dash. It kept flickering on and off, then stayed off. The car downshifted (I'm guessing 3rd gear because it brought the RPMs up to 5k going 65ish). Not sure if I installed a faulty range finder or if it's something else. I'm thinking it's the range finder now because the light was a bit delayed when going on after I put it in park when I got home.

Edit: If anyone knows what might be going on then any input is appreciated! Thanks!

#12 ·
My car does the same! Sometimes in drive the gear number dissappears and it revs up. When this happens I play with the shifter and move it up very very slightly up toward neutral for it to reengage.

Sometimes this even happens just shifting to drive at a stop.

Can anyone please offer some guidance?

#13 ·
Haven't had that issue since, but just the other day While I was driving on the highway (about 5 mins after starting the car) the indicator light for "D" went off and so did the gear indicator underneath that on the dash. It kept flickering on and off, then stayed off. The car downshifted (I'm guessing 3rd gear because it brought the RPMs up to 5k going 65ish). Not sure if I installed a faulty range finder or if it's something else. I'm thinking it's the range finder now because the light was a bit delayed when going on after I put it in park when I got home. Edit: If anyone knows what might be going on then any input is appreciated! Thanks! [/QUOTE] Did you find the solution this is happening to me on my 2011 6i

#14 ·
Check the sensor on top of the transmission. I cannot think what its called but its on top near the engine and if you pull the filter housing, you can see it eaiser. Its held on with one 12 or 13mm bolt, if i remeber right