Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum - View Single Post - New Manual transmission top-off experiment
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
hillybilly
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
New Manual transmission top-off experiment

Hello everyone!

So, I've got a new 2018 Mazda 6 with a manual. Only about 2k miles on it thus far. And like others, I've had some small but definitely present issues with shifting. Sometimes it doesn't like to go into first or reverse, feels a bit notchy, and sometimes I can feel just a touch of grind, especially between 1st and 2nd.

And so after looking around here and getting a feel for things, I decided to try something. I got some Redline MTL 75W80 GL4, and topped off the transmission. I used Mitchapalooza85's excellent DIY for guidance. I got at least half a quart in, and maybe as much as 3/4s (hard to estimate how much was left in my little hand pump).

I can definitely feel a difference. It snaps into gear more positively, and the notchiness is definitely reduced. The stick actually feels heavier. I haven't put more than a handful of miles on it since then, so I'd guess it'll improve more with a little time.

In any case, if I have issues or updates, I'll post them here.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome