Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum - View Single Post - DIY: My Solution for Getting my 6MT Car Onto Four Ramps, Without Undue Clutch Wear
View Single Post
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Cdn17Sport6MT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
I have some 'real stout and well-adjustable jackstands and for sure, I do use them - but I am a bit fussy about where I jack the car (and I don't like using my floor jack on a single corner which torsions the structure... yeah I know, on the road, when driving, that can happen).

The rear of the car when it has independent suspension (e.g. for many front wheel drive cars) or whenever there is NOT a live axle I can centrally jack on gives me the most trouble for jacking. That's why I have a rocker panel-to-rocker panel section of 4" wideflange beam, with in my circumstance, a short section of 13/16" round barstock welded onto the flange at the middle of the beam... which then gets inserted- / takes the place of my floorjack swivel-pad. That allows me to lift an entire end-of-vehicle without tweaking the chassis. The pick-up points are exactly where the factory recommended lift points are... and the rubber-lined wooden pads I use for some of my cars have a dado cut to miss the rockerpanel pinchweld seam. In the case of the Mazda, I will use totally flat fir (semi-hardwood) pads, and these will bear on the folded-over portion of the rockerpanel flange.

Sorry, more detail than you needed / wanted .

Cdn17Sport6MT
Vancouver, BC Canada

Last edited by Cdn17Sport6MT; 04-21-2019 at 09:16 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome