Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum - View Single Post - 2005 Mazda 6 wagon
View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 07:35 PM
waughoo

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
@Jael Ryan , as @bluedevil6 says, solve those misfires pronto! I'm not sure how many miles you have on your long top, but the coils are a bit of a service item on these cars. It is unfortunate, but it seems that many people seem to start having issues at 100k miles. I would strongly suggest a full replacement of the coils and likely a set of plugs. The issue is that getting to them can be a bit of a problem and delaying the repair can cause significant expense and possible engine failure. I don't want to scare you there, but pre cat failure on these duratec v6 engines is well documented. I'd start with the misfire fix first. One thing I'd add too is that the harness clips that go into the coils can sometimes lose their pliability and they will break off the little clip that secures them into the coil. I had this problem and ended up using a small zip tie to make sure it would stay in place. It is not my favorite solution, but the only other resolution is to replace the plug at that given coil. I had bought the parts to do so but decided it was going to be so much work as there isn't much room to work on the harness at the coil location. I still have the clips but my zip tie solution is still working fine for the moment.

Alex
2004 6s Wagon MTX - grocery hauler
---}
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
{---

MODS: Tinted windows, RX8s with 225/45 R18s,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, and

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome