Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum - View Single Post - Stop Whining! A case study of front-end bearing noise.
View Single Post
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 11:06 AM
jman1200

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFeelGood View Post
Steering:
Wheel play (vertical with hands at 12 and 6 o'clock), none-detected (weighted and un-weighted)
Steering rack inner play detected when pivoting the front wheels (hands at 3 and 9 o'clock) quickly (Left & right) by hand with engine off. [ Youtube link with sound: https://youtu.be/YuiUV67TLTo]

Slight rotational play noted in telescoping splines of steering column with rotation.
I just got a chance to look at this video. This will explain why your vehicle pulls to a side when accelerating so disregard what I said about the control arms.
I strongly believe the component circled in the diagram is worn (inner tie rod). It happened to me many years ago on a Mazda 323 I used to own, I took the suspension apart 3 times looking for the clunking noise and it ended being that.
Not sure if you can get it without buying the whole rack (it was available for mine). That part is covered by the dust cover rubber thingy. There are two, one for each side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	225544  

2016-Current: 2006 Mazda 6 GT - V6 - Hatchback w/NAV

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008-2015: 2004 Mazda 6 GS - I4

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome