Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum - View Single Post - Accepting the Absolute Necessity of Snow Tires
View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 03:39 PM
tickerguy

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 905 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmbo View Post
1. Why doesn't every single Mazda 6 owner (in even marginally snowy areas) switch to snow tires each winter?

2. Which ones do you recommend?

FWIW, I'm in NY Tristate, with a 2015 Mazda 6 Touring
Change that to "why doesn't ANY driver in ANY vehicle where it snows" and I'm with you.

Most people these days (modern so-called "all season" tires) have NEVER driven a car with snow tires in the snow. Do it just once and you'll never not do it again.

I grew up before there was such a thing as so-called "M+S All-season" tires. I put snows on when the first snow was seen and on they stayed until it was gone. It's a huge difference.

Buy a set of STEEL wheels too. Your nice wheels will thank you when you hammer a big pothole (caused by said ice and snow!) and don't destroy said nice wheel. The steelies are cheap and MUCH stronger. Oh, and 17" please -- it's idiotic to run low-profile snows (do they even make them?)

The only serious issue is where you store said set of tires and wheels in the summer. If you have a garage, no problem. If not that be a material problem. But it's one you really do need to solve if you live where it snows.
The Following User Says Thank You to tickerguy For This Useful Post:
Jimmbo (12-04-2018)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome